Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 641, 642, 643 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, that makes perfect sense.

I was told that M code 388 was used to prepare for the installation Perfection gas heater in the front spare tire well by the dealer. That would explain the pan.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:

I was told that M code 388 was used to prepare for the installation Perfection gas heater in the front spare tire well by the dealer. That would explain the pan.

that is not what M 388 is.

M-388 is a north american specs package that has nothing to do with a gas heater.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't argue, because I have no clue but:

"May be Canada only, seen on Canadian 251 and 221 Buses"
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:
I won't argue, because I have no clue but:

"May be Canada only, seen on Canadian 251 and 221 Buses"

that needs fixed on this site, because there are plenty of USA delivered buses that have M388.

when you have an oddball M-code, it can be helpful to check the vintagebus.com registry.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
jeffff wrote:

M-388 is a north american specs package that has nothing to do with a gas heater.

I agree it is not the gas heater as Perfections were dealer-installed.

I will update the code.

Looking at the Vintage Bus registry almost every Bus with 388 is from Canada. I do see that one of your Buses has 388. Is there anything special you see on your Bus that might be common in Canada as well?
Perhaps double spare tire wells? Searching the site I see various Canada Buses with dual spare tire wells that have 388. Perhaps it is N. American Spec. with the addition of dual tire wells.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Lind wrote:
jeffff wrote:

I agree it is not the gas heater as Perfections were dealer-installed.

I will update the code.

Looking at the Vintage Bus registry almost every Bus with 388 is from Canada. I do see that one of your Buses has 388. Is there anything special you see on your Bus that might be common in Canada as well?
Perhaps double spare tire wells? Searching the site I see various Canada Buses with dual spare tire wells that have 388. Perhaps it is N. American Spec. with the addition of dual tire wells.

my bus has nothing unusual about it. it has only one spare tire well, no rearview mirror, two popouts, no right side mirror, overrider bumpers. the original engine was gone when I got it. Idaho can be cold, but it was delivered to the southern part of the state.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug nailed it! Mine has pink insulation in there and he put 'extra' carpet all over to keep it warm. Pic of 'belly' pan on my bus. The bolt on it looks the same as on Jeffs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kombi is also a Canadian delivered bus with an M-388 code and the remnants of a spare tire gas heater (Perfection fits in there perfectly). Curious what the 388 is, as my bus has nothing special except driver's and passenger's mirrors.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
My Kombi is also a Canadian delivered bus with an M-388 code and the remnants of a spare tire gas heater (Perfection fits in there perfectly). Curious what the 388 is, as my bus has nothing special except driver's and passenger's mirrors.

Any evidence of holes in the frame where those covers/belly pans may have been mounted?
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those pans are actually designed to be sleds/skis for when the snow gets really deep on the roads and they have to drive around in the great white north
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
I think those pans are actually designed to be sleds/skis for when the snow gets really deep on the roads and they have to drive around in the great white north

That makes sense!
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
Fiatdude wrote:

That makes sense!

cept we hardly get any snow in Vancouver where at least two of these were delivered Wink keeping that heater tube warm makes a lot of sense though.
65deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can add to the mystery. My 1958 single cab came out of Medicine Hat and has that same style belly pan. I have yet to remove it, but was hoping to find some treasure beyond decades of gopher turd and mouse nests. I hadn't thought much of it until reading these posts; looked like a typical prairie farmer home-made modification.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bus is in the whines also. But in regards to the above mentioned M388 code it's on this bus also. And delivered to Canada.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1406100
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the former hot rod V8 bus? Looks familiar but it's got a quickie paint job on it now.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Is that the former hot rod V8 bus? Looks familiar but it's got a quickie paint job on it now.
IN2RUST wrote:
That is the bus from I believe Illinois or Minnesota, that was swr/bg and had a V-8 in it, as I believe the person who is selling it, is ronnies partner. aka carmen chang. I am almost positive this is the bus that had the V-8 in it. I may be wrong, but I do not think I am. Shocked
Yes.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way to collect something interesting this morning...got a whiff of rust and mouse stink coming from the north...stay tuned.
kjwinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch Case wrote:
I found this bus in Search light NV a couple of miles before the Idaho border. I talked to the owner and got the run around. I went back a little later and it was gone. Anyone on her get it?

I worked a deal on this bus a few years ago. The PO was super cool, it took a while to contact him because he lived in a different town and state. The bus was pretty dry and full of all sorts of mining equipment including 30+ year old dynamite. At the time I wanted something that would be a little easier to get back on the road so I flipped this to Louie in boise who proceeded to bring the bus to its full potential. purchased for 300 sold for 800. It was a decent flip at the time as the bus had a lot of hacks but was a very dry bus.
cage66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn $300?
Great deal. Even for $800 seems dude got a good deal.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked this up today, haven't nailed down the year yet, has a real mix of features making it complicated. High hinge cargo door, thin lip doglegs, pointy dash pod, smooth icepick doors and late lights. Major rusty but perhaps it can donate some parts to another rare SO-1 worthy of restoration...the flap and frame is the best part on the bus thankfully.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 641, 642, 643 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 642 of 990

Jump to: