Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More carburetor problems
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: More carburetor problems Reply with quote

After rebuilding the carbs on my 72 (34pdsit) I have a flat spot just off idle. I get a bucking feeling as I'm going downhill. When I just hit the throttle the engine sputters and then it catches and runs fine. I don't have vacuum leaks and my accelerator pump 'seems' to be working just fine. HELP

Thanks
JEFFRO
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: More carburetor problems Reply with quote

try adjusting the accel pumps both directions, too rich will also cause a bog , just like too lean will too.

and make sure you valve adjustment is up to snuff and your points are properly gapped and timing set correct and that the distributor is advancing properly when engine is revved up. now go... get to work ! Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: More carburetor problems Reply with quote

Hey Keifernet,

Thanks a bunch for the help/advice and just replying! My points, timing, valves are all ok. The accel pump on the 72's have that pin adjustment and it makes fine tuning not an option. I'm thinking of taking off the rod and tapping it so I can fine tune it. Or is there a better way? I went ahead and put the old accel pump gasket on and the bus runs great. No more flat spot. The rebuild kit gasket/pin is a tad bit to long.

Thanks for the help
JEFFRO
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: More carburetor problems Reply with quote

I thought the rods usually had multiple holes for the pin or some from of fine adjustment, maybe not on those carbs, I confess I have not messed with rebuilding a pair of those in quite a while (although I do have 2 sets and about 6 rebuild kits for them if anyone is interested)
maybe you could grind down that pin a little? I presume you mean the pin on the round metal piece in the center of the new diagphram?
It would be neat if you could make an " adjuster " of some sort on the rod, I guess drilling some holes would be a bit tricky unless you have the small vise and drill press.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: More carburetor problems Reply with quote

Keifernet:

2 sets? I am interested. How are the shaft bushings. Let me know if you want to part with those babys.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: More carburetor problems Reply with quote

Jeff send me an e-mail and we'll take it from there.
I have not really checked them out as far as shaft wear but they are complete, I may even have like 3 sets (pairs) At any rate you could send some bodies out to be rebushed while keeping your ride running then swaping them out.
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: More carburetor problems Reply with quote

Keifernet,

Sounds like a plan.

JEFFRO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: