Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia Replicas
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickpereira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Karmann Ghia Replicas Reply with quote

this video shows a guy making karmann ghia bodies out of fibreglass and selling the complete car for 30 000 euros??

that equals almost $38 000 AUD
or $40 000 USD

lot of money for fibreglass Confused

Link
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rudolph-roadster.de/html/classic_roadster_-_rudolph_per.html
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow_Submarine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's insane! Why would you buy a replica when you could buy an original for less?
Little Harry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They claim with Hack's reproduction you can actually drive it to work everyday. Mine is the real deal and I drive it to work everyday too. And I didn't pay somebody $40,000 for it either.

Zack1978 wrote:
From my perspective vintage VW's are beyond being used for daily driver purposes. It would be best to have your car parked in a garage, and kept away from the elements on a daily basis. Zack

Uhhh...yeah...I disagree
67ghiaTIV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I like the hardtop option.

Jamie
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Harry wrote:
They claim with Hack's reproduction you can actually drive it to work everyday. Mine is the real deal and I drive it to work everyday too. And I didn't pay somebody $40,000 for it either.

I guess it would be the same as wanting a 356 or 550 Spider kit car (would like one of those), I have 2 real Ghias and have 30 grand in the Vert and 16+ grand in the coupe. Vert is almost stock original but the coupe ain't.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider someone building these as a compliment. But, since it is using a VW chassis, I don't see how it would be a better driver than an original. I drive mine when the roads are clean and dry, even when it's well below freezing. The body would be rustproof, but you would still need to be concerned about the rest of the car.

In a perfect world where I had the money, I would make a replica from stainless steel and drive it year round, even in the snow.

Paul
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe wrote:
Little Harry wrote:

I guess it would be the same as wanting a 356 or 550 Spider kit car (would like one of those), I have 2 real Ghias and have 30 grand in the Vert and 16+ grand in the coupe. Vert is almost stock original but the coupe ain't.

Yes but in the situation of those Porsche models the originals cost far more than the kit cars. It seems to be the opposit with the Ghia.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I have no desire to own any replica; Karmann Ghia, 356, 550 Spider or any other classic based rip-off.

For me they offer little of the flavour of an original...you have to remember driving an original you're embracing the short-comings as well as the good. That's what makes an original a unique experience.

Nothing else does it, a good original gives a warm glow of pride you'll never get with a replica.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Little Harry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Personally I have no desire to own any replica; Karmann Ghia, 356, 550 Spider or any other classic based rip-off.

For me they offer little of the flavour of an original...you have to remember driving an original you're embracing the short-comings as well as the good. That's what makes an original a unique experience.

Nothing else does it, a good original gives a warm glow of pride you'll never get with a replica.

I agree completely.

Zack1978 wrote:
From my perspective vintage VW's are beyond being used for daily driver purposes. It would be best to have your car parked in a garage, and kept away from the elements on a daily basis. Zack

Uhhh...yeah...I disagree
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Harry wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

I agree completely.

Speaking of warm glow.....Merry Christmas John, and thanks for all you do here on the forum. Happy New Year!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't want rust ever and don't know or care about the original feel, then it's the car for you.
I think the shape of the Rudolph roadster is pretty spot on, well done for a kit car, and the quality seems high too. It's a new old car, nice kit car. I rate it in the same category as the Porsche fiberglass kit cars.

I wonder if the individual fiberglass parts like hoods and doors will also fit on the original full steel VW Karmann Ghia convertible. Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Speaking of warm glow.....Merry Christmas John, and thanks for all you do here on the forum. Happy New Year!

Thank you John...a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too...and of course all the other Forum members.

Hope you're recharging your battery...see you in February. Smile
jhuebner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shows what the market is over here in Europe, I think I need to buy a cheap Ghia $300-$1000, ship it over here for $1500 do nothing to it and flip it.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of something... If all they are doing is replacing the body with a fiberglass shell, I don't think it would be very well off in a collision. Ghia's are not noted for exceptional crash-worthiness, but I'd rather be surrounded by steel! I had the misfortune if having someone pull in front of me a few months ago, which left a small dent behind the right headlight. The body shop just bumped the ding out and repainted since there was no bondo, but I would not expect fiberglass to do as well.

Paul
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that they claim to put the new bodies on Bug pans. The Bug pan is narrower than a Karmann Ghia, right?

Zack
Little Harry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack1978 wrote:
It's interesting that they claim to put the new bodies on Bug pans. The Bug pan is narrower than a Karmann Ghia, right?

Zack

I think you are right Zack. If I am not mistaken the Bug pans are also a hair shorter. From what I recall the Thing and Ghia have the same size pans but the Bug is smaller. I could be wrong though, it has happened before Laughing

Zack1978 wrote:

Uhhh...yeah...I disagree
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are using bugs, then they are either modifying the pans or compensating with the body mounts being moved inboard.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chasis is type one whether bug or ghia(or even thing). the pan inserts are different. as Altema said, if they are using bug "pans" they can be compensating in the body, since it is "custom".

GEX has. Just sayin
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're pretty cool. Fwiw, bug pans are narrower, not shorter. If you out Ghia pans on a bug chassis it it exactly the same as a Ghia.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: