Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does Emergency flasher switch have to work for turns to work
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Does Emergency flasher switch have to work for turns to work Reply with quote

Yesterday I put on my hazards for the first time and they did not work. Ever since I did this the blinkers do not work. Both front sockets are brand new and there is no corrosion on the rear light boards. The light on the dash turns solid when the stalk is turned but the lights on the outside do not come on. I tried a known good flasher relay and got the same problem. BOTH fuses are good.

Unfortunately I do not have a flasher switch(not relay) to swap in. When I jumper two of the connections at the switch I can get the 4 ways to come on and blink as they should. Just curious if a hazard switch goes it it prevents the normal blinkers from working. We have had 5 feet of snow in the last two days and its a little dangerous without them....and I've had the bird tossed my way a few times already as well...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stickycandies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the wiring schematics in the bentley. It does seem that the hazard switch failing could possibly knock out your turn signals too... the switch could be "shunting" the turn signals to ground, not allowing the lights to come on. To test this, leave your hazard switch disconnected and see if your turn signals work normally.

Good luck!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Emergency flasher switch have to work for turns to Reply with quote

Yes it can, as the 4-way flasher switch also plays a key role in the turn signal operation. The pin 15 to 49 switch contact inside the larger switch powers the turn signals when the the 4 ways are switched off. The 4-way flasher switch must be present or you lose turn signals and flashers.

Mark

outwesty wrote:
......Just curious if a hazard switch goes it it prevents the normal blinkers from working......
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information guys. I knocked the flasher switch on the dash a few times and plugged it back in and they worked but are now working intermittently. I'll find a new switch this week. I really appreciate the help

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: