Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane Fill Connector
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Propane Fill Connector Reply with quote

I remembered awhile back seeing a post that showed where one member made up a Propane Fill extention that Connected to the OnBoard Propane Tank "Large" Service Fill Inlet... This is the connector that a Fill Station Fills the Tank through..

He showed how he made a hose using that Connector and the other end was a normal Home BBQ Tank for extended stay use, or when your tank is empty..

It looked like a great simple idea and nothing to install or propane fittings on the Van to remove or alter.

My Question is does anyone remember that Topic, or what or where to obtain that Large Female Fill Connector...????????
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the post you are looking for : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
I think this is the post you are looking for : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...mp;start=0

Jay...
Yep that's the Connector / Adaptor I'm looking for... BUT-ttttttttttttttt
Where can we get one? Come on give it up who sells it?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be referring to this post from TomKay?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496632&highlight=propane+refill

tomkay wrote:
I had the local propane guys make this hose for hooking up auxiliary propane in a pinch. I know it's nothing new, but it seemed the simpler than cutting lines. Cost 74.00 and 10 minutes of my time.

It attaches to the fill valve on the van and can run off of a standard BBQ style tank or 1lb canisters.

I'll always have a couple of the canisters on hand and have the option to haul a tank if the need arises.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tomkay wrote:
If the LP tank that is mounted under the van runs empty, I attach the large threaded "nozzle" (lower right in photo) to the the fill valve on the LP tank.

The other end screws onto a BBQ tank. Slowly open the valve of LP tank followed by opening the valve on BBQ tank. Resume regularly scheduled programming.

The other option is to take the small piece of hose and attach it to the main section of hose and then take the end with "needle" sticking out of it and hook it up to a 1LB disposable canister.

Depending on how I end up using this, maybe I'll look at getting an adaptor to refill canisters.
Hopefully this explains it better.

At this point, I wanted the versatility.

As to looking into a group buy, I would think you should be able to go to your local propane supplier and have them build a hose. I just told them what I was trying to accomplish and they came up with the idea.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propane Fill Valve Adapter:
http://www.protanksupply.com/pol-propane-fittings_detail.asp?ID=3048

Once you have that, go to your local RV place and ask them to make you a dual POL hose whatever length that you want.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those made. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet as my tank is full. I got the parts from that link I believe. It is helpful to use hand tighten fittings. I have the brass one pictured for the fill valve and a barbq tank fitting on the other end. I have a 1 gallon propane tank that I will take with me when I am running the propane heater.

I saw the pics and decided to try it. I'm not sure and the propane shop that put the hose on it wasn't sure if the the pressure coming out of the barbq tank would be enough to open the fill valve on the westy tank. I figured it was worth a try. Seems like it must work if people are posting photos.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a couple of the fittings that screw onto the tank fill
valve. Then all you will need is a male POL to POL hose.
If you are going to West River Westies I can hook you
up with one. You supply your own hose.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyer Beware. This did not work for me. I have the same hose as below, my tank finally ran empty to test it. Hooked it up and it won't move any propane into the tank. Loosen the nut on the barbq tank and propane comes out, so it didn't safety lock. There just wasn't enough pressure from my 1gallon barbq tank to open the valve on the fill. It is a new fill, not the original auto stop type. I'd be curious who else has tried this and if it worked? Dave

tomkay wrote:
I had the local propane guys make this hose for hooking up auxiliary propane in a pinch. I know it's nothing new, but it seemed the simpler than cutting lines. Cost 74.00 and 10 minutes of my time.

It attaches to the fill valve on the van and can run off of a standard BBQ style tank or 1lb canisters.
If the LP tank that is mounted under the van runs empty, I attach the large threaded "nozzle" (lower right in photo) to the the fill valve on the LP tank.

The other end screws onto a BBQ tank. Slowly open the valve of LP tank followed by opening the valve on BBQ tank. Resume regularly scheduled programming.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the adapter hose for my propex heater
for the past year with no issues. Did you try cracking open
the bleeder screw on your buses tank to see if that would
get the propane flowing? Another thing is if you have the
set up with a hose that has POL fitting on each end. Try
swapping it end to end. Some fittings have valves inside
that only allow gas to flow one direction. Did you get
the fitting from me? If you did and your not happy
send me a message. I'll refund your money and
cover shipping to send it back.
For shits and giggles do you have a larger gas grill size tank
you could try to see if it works?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, that's weird it does seem to work for other people? My fitting is this one http://www.protanksupply.com/acme-propane-fittings_detail.asp?ID=3049 It doesn't have a valve inside of it. I'm not sure the size of the aux tank matters for LP gas, but now my tank is full again so I can't test it. I think it is the spring tension in the fill valve.

I'll probably rig up different connection inside the van. I wanted it outside for safety, but I can get a propane alarm.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves inside the plastic hand screw type ACME hoses are very restrictive, they basically flow thru a pinhole and are made for low pressure devices like propane camp stoves.

You need a standard Male POL to Male POL sometimes also labeled as "excess flow" to get the best results. It has worked well for me for over a year of pretty consistent use.

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that sounds right. I blew through the end of the hose that has the speed nut connections and it does feel pretty restricted. It's a bummer but good to know.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: propane fill extension Reply with quote

Look here http://community-2.webtv.net/VanStuff/VanagonWestfalia/ scroll down through the site and you'll find the extension
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

This post is about making up a connector to go from a Bar B Q tank to the fill port on the westy tank. See the pic a couple posts above.
tomkay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to test out the hose that I had made that was referenced earlier in this thread.

I emptied a 1LB cannister into the tank with no problem. I then attached our BBQ tank and put some of that into the tank on the van as well. I lost my nerve and shut the BBQ tank off quite soon. I was afraid of overfilling the tank. Need to try again and watch for white liquid spitting out of the bleed valve I guess.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you won't get liquid propane from a BBQ bottle unless you tip it upside down, and then the OPD valve should stop flow altogether.
a BBQ tank hooked to the westy tank doesn't know it's not hooked to a BBQ (regulated hose pressure aside)
you are only filling the westy tank with gaseous propane, very little actual volume compared to liquid levels but the stove and fridge use very little BTUs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the bits again. The first is the important one. I got mine from a full service propane shop.

The other bits are an extension hose, which can be any length you want and can be bought at most camping supply stores.

And put together look like this.

I used mine successfully on my original Westy tank as a back up tank for extended stays. I have since replaced that tank with one from GoWesty. Have not even tried it on the new tank, so not sure it works with the new valving. But it should as I believe the new safety stuff has to do with overfilling not initial flow.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run out of propane for the last darn time. It was pretty cold last night and around 3am the propane ran out. A quick feeble attempt to attached the fill connector to my portable propane tank left me screwed again. I could not get the fill cap off because the roads were completely iced over along with my van. I think I have run out of propane half the times I have run the heater overnight. But this was the last straw.

That fill connector even if it worked is a crappy solution, along with the extended stay version. It just can't be under the van like that when you camp in ice and snow.

I got it rigged up in the morning at 6 and it didn't work anyway. Mine is different from the above ones, I guess I used the wrong hose, but I reamed out the insides so it would flow better. Even if it worked, I would not be satisfied after dealing with it in the middle of the night with everything iced over. When it is 0-10 degrees overnight you can't be messing around.

I think I am going to either put a quick disconnect fitting inside the van, or disconnect the city water connection and rig one up there. That is a more involved, but might be a better solution. The warm propane tank in the van would flow a lot better though. I would upgrade my CO2 alarm to a Propane/Co2 combo alarm if I go that way. You really can't have a propane heater for winter use without having a spare tank somewhere. I may just get a second tank for under the passenger side but I am going to do something.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the mower or the snow blower it only breaks (runs out) when you're using it.
and the other problem is taking in for a propane fill, and only needing .5gal
on my brother's van we have a 2nd tank mounted on the pass side.. one runs out, you close that valve and open the full tank..

on my van I have one of the busdepot limnited sale XL tanks.. about a 30#'r in capacity..

but there are larger Van body tanks available new still.
for $400~500
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/lp-gas-tanks.htm
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you have run out of propane? Or has the valve just frozen?

The euro equiped vans have an 12v electric heater attached to the propane line where it exits the tank for use in freezing temps.

You might try finding one of those from vwbushop.de. He ships to America.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: