Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chassis/Engine charts to verify authenticity
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
To worry about matching a serial number on a VW Thing is stupid and irrelevant.

Your problem is that you post an insulting opinion as though it were fact. Not exactly the way to win friends and influence people.

Let me pose another scenario for you - if I were in the market for a nice Thing, and there were two similar cars at similar prices but one had the original AM case and one had a case that was not original, I'd gravitate toward the more original of the two cars, and there are others that would do the same.

If you can't comprehend that, then no amount of explaining will help.

What I can comprehend is that almost no one knows what the original engine serial number was for their Thing. As others said it is not published anywhere. To worry about having a matching engine serial number and VIN is stupid and irrelevant when you have no clue what the original engine serial number really was.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

What I can comprehend is that almost no one knows what the original engine serial number was for their Thing. As others said it is not published anywhere. To worry about having a matching engine serial number and VIN is stupid and irrelevant when you have no clue what the original engine serial number really was.

There's a logic construct called "inference". Read the AM engine case thread and you can draw conclusions about what's correct and what's not.

Not accepting that is stupid and moronic. Congratulations, you've dragged me down to your level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not accepting that is stupid and moronic. Congratulations, you've dragged me down to your level.

Reminds me what my dad used to say, (and I did not listen too).

Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with their years of experience.

One fact I stand by from first hand experience, vehicles with documented original equipment, sell for more money. Call it stupid, call it crazy, call it what you will, that is a fact. The purchaser determines the final price on everything and if you do not like it, talk to them.

Next fact I stand by, there does not exist a 100% acurate method to determine EVERY Things' original serial number engine.

My opinion is that unless you have good documentation about a Thing engine serial number and the corrsponding chassis number, it is speculation that it is the original equipment to the Thing.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:

Next fact I stand by, there does not exist a 100% acurate method to determine EVERY Things' original serial number engine.

My opinion is that unless you have good documentation about a Thing engine serial number and the corrsponding chassis number, it is speculation that it is the original equipment to the Thing.

And you do not know for sure what the original serial number was for your prize vehicle. A company I once worked for bought a brand new machine powered by a Cat engine. We lost the engine the first shift the machine was in use. When Cat came out to replace the engine, on checking the numbers they informed us that the engine we lost was already the second engine that was in the vehicle. It turns out that the first engine had died while the machine was being test run on the assembly line. A half dozen hours of running and two engines replaced, having a mint low mileage vehicle is no guaranty that you have the original engine, you need factory records for that.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you do not know for sure what the original serial number was for your prize vehicle.

You may sound a lot better on this thread after you stop thinking that you know me.

I do know for a fact, with factory documentation what engine came in my prized vehicle.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Quote:
And you do not know for sure what the original serial number was for your prize vehicle.

You may sound a lot better on this thread after you stop thinking that you know me.

I do know for a fact, with factory documentation what engine came in my prized vehicle.

Have you mentioned this before? If so I missed it.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
So you have documentation proving that the serial number of your engine is what your Thing came with?

Like what kubleman posted, I have a warrenty work slip that shows the milage (very low at 3 months from purchase date) and includes the engine case number.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
So you have documentation proving that the serial number of your engine is what your Thing came with?

Like what kubleman posted, I have a warrenty work slip that shows the milage (very low at 3 months from purchase date) and includes the engine case number.

A warranty slip from the dealer is not the same as factory documentation he is now claiming to have. If he has factory documentation let him produce it for all to see.

Quote:
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously?

he's saying he has this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you need to either stop wanking or stop posting in this topic.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lengthy email exchange with the woman who actually works in the archives and prints up the birth certificates when I sent off for one for my Thing when I first got it. Back then (I have no idea how it works now) if you supplied them with an engine number they would either confirm it was the one that was shown in their records or tell you it could not be determined. The reason I actually went through the trouble of tracking down her email address and contacting her over this is I believe my Thing not only to have the original engine but also the original paint which is yellow. My b/c came back saying the engine number could not be determined and the color to be white. After several email exchanges where she says she double checked the archives ( I have no reason to not believe that she did as she seemed like quite a pleasant woman and seemed happy to help me, but since I was not actually there in person I must just take her word for it) she admitted what I've heard rumors of being the case. The VW factory archives are a mess, some more so than others (I'm thinking the Thing ones shipped back to Germany from Mexico might be among the worst) and they are on different types of media including some very brittle old microfiche and they do the best they can at providing accurate information and usually won't provide information if it is questionable so I am still confused about why my b/c says my car was white and if you ever saw it you would agree that it is still the original yellow paint.

All this being said, I still believe my car is originally yellow and has the original engine. I have no proof of this and believe that no proof exists anywhere on this earth. If I ever did sell it I would share my beliefs with the buyer and I would still expect to sell it for what I think it's worth but like all car sales the value is determined by what the buyer will pay for it. I guess I would prefer to find a buyer that believes there is more value in an original seeming car even if there is no factory documentation to back up your beliefs. I put more value in any kind of documentation such as the buyer's warranty card but even those could be faked or like was mentioned something could have happened before the car arrived at the dealership and sold to the original buyer. So, in conclusion I think there are two types of VW buyers, ones that care about stuff like this and ones that don't and that will never change.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
seriously?

he's saying he has this:

you need to either stop wanking or stop posting in this topic.

So we have a case where the "proof" is a single unverifiable document in the hands of the owner. A document that was at best not produced at the factory but after the sale by a dealer.

How long would it take to fake such a document? A few minutes to wash out the old ink and a few more to dry it with a blow drier. Then you can enter any numbers you like and you suddenly have irrefutable proof that your engine and VIN match. Sorry this form of proof stinks in my book.

I bet there are people that will provide you with this form of proof for a price. You take in an old warranty book, pay them $10 and all the sudden you Thing's numbers are documented and you prize is worth $500-1000 more. Heck for fifty bucks, you could probably get 40 years of service records to go along with it. Nope a warranty book is close to zero proof, instead try providing something from the factory that is believable. As I said it is stupid to worry about matching numbers on a Thing.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
Quote:

After insulting me and others in this thread, taking what I wrote out of context, posting up opinion and conjecture with no positive help in this thread, please compel to me why I owe you an explaination of anything I may own? Being the internet, how do I know you are not some punk pimple faced kid whose momma still whipes his crack for him? Who the heck are you to be an athourity over me? What are your credentials?

You are not my wife, not my family, I do not think you are any of my friends, I know you are not my drunk neighbor or the other 98 year old neighbor, so how do you know so much about my vehicle(s)? You have no idea of what I have, what I drive, or what I consider to be my prized vehicle, as you stated.

Step up, or piss off.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
How long would it take to fake such a document?

for goodness sakes man, have you completely lost your mind? you're positing a trade in forged VW Thing warranty cards to back up your position?

you're trolling now big-time and it doesn't look good on you. you've been trolling this thread pretty much from your first post in it and i have been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but now it's just embarrassing.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Prove it isn't.

You asked me to prove that your documentation was no good and I did. Why do you feel insulted by that?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
Prove it isn't.

You asked me to prove that your documentation was no good and I did. Why do you feel insulted by that?

You proved nothing.

Your insulting remarks came before that request.

Doc*181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Just a bit of a sidebar question here. Does (or can) VW provide "birth certifcates" for Mexican produced 181s like they do other models? It's my understanding that documentation in Mexico wasn't all that great.

I applied for a birth certificate for my (Mexican made) euro181 and received a lettre (or could be a mail) from Volkswagen AG that they didn't have infomation about my car. Maybe this had to do that the car was made in Mexico and there was no information swap between Mexico and Germany?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:
Prove it isn't.

You proved nothing.

Your insulting remarks came before that request.

Sorry, but I reread my earlier posts and can't find anything that resembles an insult.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a blank warranty voucher fill it out yourself for your car
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked while I consider what to clean up because of the all the insane arguing.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: