Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how do I remove luggage rack on a 76
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: how do I remove luggage rack on a 76 Reply with quote

I just got a complete pop top seal kit for my 76 westy. I'm not too sure how to take the luggage rack off.
I see philips screws around the side, and a few bolt heads around the back edge.
Are there any tricks or pieces to watch out for?
How easy is it to get back on?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: how do I remove luggage rack on a 76 Reply with quote

Just how it looks. Unfortunately, the bolts in the back go through the roof so you access them under the headliner. Fortunately, you don't have to take the luggage rack off to put the seal on- it just presses on- add a little 3M weatherstrip adhesive if you want an extra measure of confidence.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: how do I remove luggage rack on a 76 Reply with quote

Getting the headliner off is easy. I'm planning to take my rack of tomorrow. I plan to remove the six or so screws under the headliner in the back rhen take the four screws off from the outside. The front screws are just supposed to be sheet metal screws.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: how do I remove luggage rack on a 76 Reply with quote

Sometimes the luggage rack is attached with rivets across the back underneath the headliner. If you have rivets instead of the small bolts then these have to be drilled out. As posted above you do NOT need to remove the luggage rack to install the seal. Just use a phillips head screwdriver to remove the ones on the outside of the luggage rack and raise it up enough to get the seal on. This can be done easily without worrying about the ones under the headliner. Good luck.
bajorek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: how do I remove luggage rack on a 76 Reply with quote

What do the front screws screw into? Is it hard to get them back in, or find the hole?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: how do I remove luggage rack on a 76 Reply with quote

They screw into little galvanized metal brackets that are bolted to the roof. If you take the screws out, you might as well wire brush them and repaint them too. Putting them back is pretty easy, just have someone help manuever the top while you watch for the screw hole then put the screw back in.

You might want to put a thin rubber washer between the iberglass and the bracket to help cushion it if you put lots of crap in your rack. If you decide to do this, put a dab of glue on the washer to hold it in place while you position the top.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: