Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Three Speed Manual Transmission?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Three Speed Manual Transmission? Reply with quote

I'm not a bus person so bear with me. A friend of ours who grew up in Austria told us that as a young man he drove a VW bus with a three speed manual transmission. I disputed that but he swore by his statement, so I asked him to try to find some evidence of that.

Then I thought I'd look around myself and found the following after an internet search:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/shifters/volkswagen-bus/c3730d14404j1s21.jcwx

In case the link doesn't work, it's a JCWhitney website catalog page for a "Mr. Gasket" 3 Speed Manual Shifter for a 1962 VW Classic bus. Does anyone have experience with that and how it worked? I'd love to tell our friend about it.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting statement.

there is no way this can be a split bus with a 3 speed manual.

Now, what would make somebody say this...

There are automatic busses (Bays) which are 3 speed
There are 3 speed auto sticks of all VWs except the bus.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

He was adamant. He even got a little annoyed at me and said he was familiar enough with cars to know that he was driving a VW bus with a three speed transmission. OK, I said, wanting to remain friends, and dropped the question.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
mandraks wrote:

He was adamant. He even got a little annoyed at me and said he was familiar enough with cars to know that he was driving a VW bus with a three speed transmission. OK, I said, wanting to remain friends, and dropped the question.

good call, we german types can be quite stubborn, especially when we are wrong... Smile

Uli

quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless 1st gear didnt work and the other 3 forward gears did, maybe its possable. If your friendship was hinged on the fact that you disagreed with him, lol then maybe it wasnt strong enough in the first place. Could also have been converted to something else too.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was 4th gear was gone. Wink

Ask him what the gear shift positions were for gears 1, 2, 3, and reverse.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about that JCWhitney link I posted at the beginning? Is that just a mistake in their catalog?

quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for one, its not a stock part. Its also possable it fits other vehicles too. You know how a manufacture says a part will fit a much wider year range than it really does or maybe another listing goof. Could be that too. For one, picture this....if there really was a super rare 3 speed transaxle coupled to the stock engine with rgbs, imagine the total lack of available gear ratio needed to obtain speeds from zero to 60. Lets see, 4th gear missing, then 45 to 50 is your top speed. 1st gear missing, then burnt clutches and issues from stand still to moving especially up a hill till you get to about 15 or 20. If there ever was somehow a 3 speed trans, coupled to the stock engine then you must have the worlds first clutch disc made from material commonly found on mars that cannot be destroyed because you will be clutch slipping it between gears like your trying to do burnouts with 2000 pounds extra payload.
This guy you talk about is either real insecure, or is pulling your leg. I will happily eat my words when a 3 speed splitwindow bus with stock engine is produced, that can go from zero to 60 with a stock clutch. Not a clutch out of an 18 wheeler. Oh yeah and I forgot to add with out major clutch burnt stink smell Laughing
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also possable that the shifter wasnt adjusted correctly. Many threads on I cant get 4th or what ever gear. If he didnt know how to properly adjust the shifter then its possable he had no 1st if he had adjustment issues. Especially if he had small nut gearing, which I cant remember when i shifted out of 1st with big nut super rare mountain rgb gears.
thewalkingdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Three Speed Manual Transmission? Reply with quote

replaced my three speed transmissioni last year with a four speed. First gear completely ground down.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Confirms what I thought. I'll wait to see what he says the next time we see him.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
So what about that JCWhitney link I posted at the beginning? Is that just a mistake in their catalog?

The Mr Gasket link says "page no longer exists". I think it's just a J.C. Whitney flaky thing. They are notoriously goomba when it comes to accuracy and quality.

Some people used to mistakenly call split-case transmission busses and cars "3-speed" as you had to be standing still to do first. Maybe that is what he meant. First almost feels like a "granny low", a common thing on older delivery vehicles and pickups, which a lot of old timers never even used: they'd start off in the next gear up.
Wayland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too likely, but maybe it was a Corvair van, not a Vw. They came stock w/ a 3 speed trans.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested to him that maybe he was driving a "look-alike" van in Austria, of which there were some that looked a lot like split window buses, but he said it had the circular VW emblem on the front.

quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with the corvair engine, it could be possable that the corvair drivetrain was swapped in. It was somewhat of a comon swap. My dad did that to a 69 bus.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
Now with the corvair engine, it could be possable that the corvair drivetrain was swapped in. It was somewhat of a comon swap. My dad did that to a 69 bus.

in the US maybe, in Germany and Austria, not so much. Just not enough donors....

Uli

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: