Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Bastard" Engines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Great job on the engine build
ryanrcs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah old pic Kevin. I am so glad I decided to go with Kevin. The entire build has been great.
kevnmarcie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanrcs wrote:
Yeah old pic Kevin. I am so glad I decided to go with Kevin. The entire build has been great.

Thanks Ryan. I knew when you came up with the NOS pistons and cylinders that still had VW tape on the box, I was going to have to bring my 'A' game. It's not perfect, but I think it turned out well...
kevnmarcie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few of the little jewels that went into this build...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevnmarcie wrote:

looks nice, but tell whoever rebuilt the carb that the long rod is not supposed to be all bent up like that. the lock nut on the throttle shaft is missing too.
kevnmarcie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
kevnmarcie wrote:

looks nice, but tell whoever rebuilt the carb that the long rod is not supposed to be all bent up like that. the lock nut on the throttle shaft is missing too.

Thanks for the tips Jon. Easy fixes.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevnmarcie wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
the long rod is not supposed to be all bent up like that. the lock nut on the throttle shaft is missing too.

Thanks for the tips Jon. Easy fixes.

indeed.
kevnmarcie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am near bastard, hear me (nearly) roar....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29797613@N06/6906626314/in/photostream

The mic on the camera exaggerates the high pitched sounds so it sounds like it needs a valve adjustment. It is actually idling at about 500rpm
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Bastard engine. Reply with quote

Boy am I an idiot. I've heard this term bantered about before but didn't do the research on what anyone was talking about. Surprising in that I own a '60 Kombi. Embarassed Not sure of the engine or the number but it is definately a 1960.
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bastard engine. Reply with quote

Middle child wrote:
Boy am I an idiot. I've heard this term bantered about before but didn't do the research on what anyone was talking about. Surprising in that I own a '60 Kombi. Embarassed Not sure of the engine or the number but it is definately a 1960.
And with my luck it's about thirty five miles from exploding. I have the engine out at the moment....no time to fix the bus up....have to get the paperwork back from the guy I got it from so that I can apply for a bonded title (req'd in this state). Engine turns over freely so after checking on some things....like STINKING MICE making nests on top of the heads and cylinders I'll hopefully get her going. I NEED A PASSENGER DOOR DOVE BLUE. THANKS.
21-window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how VW identified an original bastard that had been updated or replaced by VW during the time?

What type of markings did they put on the engine case?
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21-window wrote:
Does anyone know how VW identified an original bastard that had been updated or replaced by VW during the time?

What type of markings did they put on the engine case?

Im not sure if this helps but my case has this "P" to the left of the numbers(by the case half bolt hole), its a reissued case/factory rebuilt (?)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what the P means:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagenman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started building my engine and have a lot of information found on the samba.com. So I wondered whether my original engine. I've checked the numbers and it would be an engine of July 1961 but my bus is from December 1960. Well I've read a lot about the "bastard" engine and come to discover that there are many "bastard" parts on my engine such as valve covers, alternator mount, I think the third generation bastard cylinder heads, also there were oversized crankshaft bearings and oversize original vw pistons. all cylinders are original vw. Also I had read about coper cylinder head gasket / rings on my engine were that only the "bastard" engine would have. The air filter seems a "bastard". Now I wonder if it the original engine could be. On the engine were placed the wrong imitation carburetor and ignition. Now I'm around to reading the samba.com but I can not figure out what carburetor fuel and ignition are original would have. Can anyone possibly tell me more about it. sorry for my bad english. I use google translator ... Embarassed Here are some pictures of the engine.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi all,

I just acquired a 40 hp "Bastard" long block motor. Block number #3467872, has the heads with the screw-on metal covers over the small chamber above the rocker box area (I imagine it has the vent hole from the chamber to the rocker box). I got it from Kent Z. here in St. Louis for my June '59 Double Door Panel bus, although I'm not sure if I'll ever bolt it in. I have a '61 40 hp motor in there now and I just wanted to obtain the correct "Bastard" engine that would have been in there. I already had the correct carb and fuel pump, but now I'll need to hunt down the missing upper L & R side cylinder tins, the correct distributor (the long block currently has a ZV/PAU 4 R 5 distributor) (what's correct?), the bus air cleaner with "slots" does it screw on or clamp on?), and a gasket set for the Bastard motor. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any of that stuff laying around for sale so I can complete this engine.

After I clean it up a little (oily and dirty), I'll try to shoot some photos and (if I can figure out how to down-size and post 'em) I'll send some photos to this thread. Other than the early case #, what obvious differences should be visible on the outside of a "Bastard" case that was later changed/improved. Also, what should the detachable generator tower look like?

Thanks for any answers, photos and assistance with my missing parts!

Bill Bowman

It's been a while, but I found everything from the quote for this motor, but still have nt had time to work on it yet...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevnmarcie wrote:

Wow! I have that exact same set of pistons and cylinders in the same box in the basement, glad to know I have them if ever needed (hopefully my used ones on the motor are fine too...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkswagenman wrote:
Now I wonder if it the original engine could be. On the engine were placed the wrong imitation carburetor and ignition. Now I'm around to reading the samba.com but I can not figure out what carburetor fuel and ignition are original would have. Can anyone possibly tell me more about it. sorry for my bad english. I use google translator ... Embarassed Here are some pictures of the engine.

While not perfect, the Owner's Manuals are a good source for info.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/feb60bus.php
kevnmarcie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Here's what the P means:

Any mention of how the oversize pulley is identified? I have a later case with these markings, and want to find the correct pulley. Otherwise I understand, the engine will weep oil around the pulley.

Thanks!
Kevin
RandyUK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post, so Hi all!

On the subject of bastard engines...

I have an early 1960 model year beetle which has been off the road and unused since 1987. Most of the work on the shell is done so I started on the motor yesterday, and noticed a few quirky parts!

Engine number is 5887007. The engine number is recessed - cold this be restamped?

Cylinder heads have part number 113.101.371.B which I believe indicated 1965? And I don't have the Bastard style cylinder tinwear with the raised cylinder number section.

Cylinders are the early style as shown earlier in this thread and the top of the piston is stamped with 77.45 so would this be bastard or not?

There was a bodged home made joining pipe from heat exchanger to the silencer as they didn't quite match up - another point covered in this thread!

I gather that it's slightly more difficult to identify a bastard from just the few examples I've listed above, but I wasn't planning on splitting the cases. I have dismantled the top end to fit new pushrod tubes and seals (and for some reason there was a single pushrod missing from No.4!?)

Oh and the fuel pump isn't a bastard style either - it doesn't have the vertical feed to the carb. When I got the car, there wasn't a carb fitted.

Whilst I like originality, it's not a major sticking point. So if it's a bastard engine would I be better off purchasing a replacement that's a little more common? Or, from what I've said, does it look like its a reconditioned one?

Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any engine number could have been restamped. The engine part number on the case below the pushrod tubes on the other hand.

Still any engine could and can be modified to work with other later parts...

36 & 40 HP engines used 77 mm pistons and cylinders. So did Bastard 40 HP....

Being that the Bastard 40 HP engine is rather hard to find and the FW seal is unique to it, if the engine you have is that it would be better to sell it off and get a better later engine case for your project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 22

Jump to: