Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what is a good flaps Oil Pressure Gauge Kit?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213421p=1996910

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was looking on their web site, not on the classifieds here.

Ed
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was looking on their web site, not on the classifieds here.

Ed
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakota digital makes nice equipment.
Get your local industrial hose supplier to build something for you.
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
AKAvant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this setup in the same configuration (sizes) work for an air-cooled van?
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vw racing god gene berg HATED vdo guages. they are cheaply made and inaccurate-- He tested everything before mention--the brand he found superior to all others? Autometer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neptuno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
you could use a drum brake bug, front brake flexi hose to re route an oil pressure sender, they're m10 x 1mm same as an oil pressure sender, male thread on one end and female on the other, also in the braking system there is a brass T with a mount hole in it, so with these you could just use any oil pressure/temp sender, i can't see that the oil would be too hot for the brake hose, i expect under hard braking brake fluid gets warm to hot, and i don't think the oil would damage the flexi either, i've seen them covered in oil from a leaky trans, and it's had no effect on them
and why use the sender hole by the push rod tubes, the other one {on a 2.1} would place the senders where you could get a them easier ?

rocky jennings has a relocate kit it puts everything up on top near the plenum, i'll be doing something similar, one day

Im going to revive this tread because I am wanting to add an oil pressure and oil temp gauge to the brick.

Now I see the great solutions out there like the tencent/jennings kit or the 42 draft kit (cheaper solution) and have also seen the 2007 tencent copper oil relocation option (along with a mimic from Alistar Bell).....

Ok Ok so what am I getting at? Well with the 42 draft designed kit pictured here it seems like it can not be mounted on top of the engine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1) Can someone verify this? I have no tins under the Vanagon so I wondered if the tin got on the way of the 42 draft installed in page 1?

2) Yesterday I found a female 1/8 npt Tee at the hardware store. I tried fitting an old vw cabby pressure sender to it and it only went down about half way (yes I know they are different treads the sender id M10x1) Is that par for the course?

Basically this boils down to the fact that I am a cheapscape (must be the Scottish in me) and If I can build it cheaper than the $35 42 draft desing kit then im going to do it.

So far this is the break down:
Hardware store 1/8 npt tee: $3.69
Senders: Free I have a ton of these
Gauges: free have them too
Relocation hose: Harbor freight $4.99 (worried about the heat rating on this)
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-inch-flexible-grease-hose-92657.html

So what do I need?

1) A p strap to secure the sensor...forgot to get at the hardware store Embarassed
2) maybe a M10x1 to 1/8 npt 45* or 90* adapter for the block to hose. This would keep nay-sayers happy and me as far as any snapping from stress on the hose coupling to a direct fit to the block.
3) maybe a equally as cheap hose with an actual heat rating on it? I'll take suggestions.

Ok so the math 3.69+4.99+free gauges/sensors+P-clamp ~3.00+ nameless adapter ~10 (worst case price)= 21.68.

Maybe there are things I have not considered...SO would anyone help me build it cheaper or try to persuade me?

Oh I should mention my 85 is the single pressure sender 1.9 motor and the goal is to mount the Tee/manifold/spliter on the top of the motor for access to the senders.

Thanks,
Tony

Also, if you look closely, the drapes in the house match the Vanagon, illustrating outstanding thematic continuity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neptuno wrote:

Ok Ok so what am I getting at? Well with the 42 draft designed kit pictured here it seems like it can not be mounted on top of the engine.

1) Can someone verify this? I have no tins under the Vanagon so I wondered if the tin got on the way of the 42 draft installed in page 1?

The hose that comes with the 42 Draft just isn't quite long enough to get up into the engine compartment. Without the pushrod cover, it can be made to point upwards alongside the thermostat housing but it's really tight in there. It would be better if it had another four to six inches of length.
Neptuno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
Neptuno wrote:

The hose that comes with the 42 Draft just isn't quite long enough to get up into the engine compartment. Without the pushrod cover, it can be made to point upwards alongside the thermostat housing but it's really tight in there. It would be better if it had another four to six inches of length.

So I contacted 42 draft and they tell me that they could supply an 18" or 24" hose with this set up....Im not sure how much hose is needed to put the sensors on the top. A VERY informal survey of one told me 18" hose.

Anyone care to comment. The results of this quest will give us a price on the 42 draft kit with a hose to mount the sensors atop the engine.

Thanks,
tony

Also, if you look closely, the drapes in the house match the Vanagon, illustrating outstanding thematic continuity.

Last edited by Neptuno on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea -- though not as close as the picture might suggest (that is mine above) there is a lot of heat near that sender.

I did later wrap the pipes in the vicintity with header wrap to lessen the cooking that might occur. Thus far (2 years or so) I have not had any sender failure or degeneration.
Neptuno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
That sounds like a good idea -- though not as close as the picture might suggest (that is mine above) there is a lot of heat near that sender.

I did later wrap the pipes in the vicintity with header wrap to lessen the cooking that might occur. Thus far (2 years or so) I have not had any sender failure or degeneration.

Im sorry I should credit you with the pic Exclamation

devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: adding oil gauge Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
devesvws wrote:
the unused plug on mine keeps dripping, i have tried pipe tape and a washer and it still drips Mad

Did you ever get this leak resolved? Did you check with the manufacturer? I was thinking of ordering this kit.

Ed
mine has been off the rd for a few month Crying or Very sad but yes it did stop leaking.
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Neptuno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO I emailed with the guys at 42draft and they can provide hoses on 18" and 24" lenghts....

with the 24" ones the price would be $45.

I still however do not know if this length or the 18" one would be best to put the sender on the top of the engine???

Bueller?? Anyone...

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neptuno wrote:
...I still however do not know if this length or the 18" one would be best to put the sender on the top of the engine???

No idea -- I would just get something of suitable length (piece of fuel line, rope, your wife's best pearls) and run it from the equivalent of the original sender (between the pushrod tubes on d/s I presume) to the location you have in mind and using the routing you like. Then see how much hose, rope, pearls you use.

A few inches too long is better that a quarter inch too short.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick that I learned for jobs like this is to use a roll of plumbing solder and cut off enough to bend it and simulate the installation that you require. When you are pleased with the fit, routing, etc you simply straighten out the solder and measure it.

Works great for measuring brake lines, hoses, wires.

Just have a hose made up at your local hydraulic hose supplier, and you will have a perfect fit.

Good Luck.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: