Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will Go Westy Trailer Hitch work for Dirt Bike Hitch Rack?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burleymotorsports wrote:

The go westy hitch is weak and IMHO not worth having , and certainly wont hold a motorcycle or any weight. Sorry I'm not trying to be smug , it's just the truth.

Pretty classless IMHO to go on to a public forum and repeatedly bad mouth other peoples products and try to push your own. It's really not needed.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would haul a moped or small cc scooter on it no problem,
I would not haul my 250cc honda scooter or larger dirtbike much less BIKES dangling off the back of it.. get a trailer or invest in a real piece of steel and structure.

the GW hitch is a very nice unit for what they intended it for.. a rack w/1-4 bikes.. it gets wobbly with 4 bicycles as is. but it's sufficient and safe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bent my tow hooks that way with a moto carrier and dr350. it was just a quick emergency trip and i wouldn't do it again.
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering lightening some of the load using some trucker straps and running to the top of a yakima raingutter rack system to help "pull up" on the bike and stabilize it and also relieve some of the tongue pressure on the hitch. So, a #175 enduro would be significantly less on the tongue.
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a small sailboat trailer I may be able to modify temporarily in an effrort to grab the bike. Has anyone every tried to put a 175 yamha enduro inside the van (jump seats removed and a weekender package). Will it fit??
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan F wrote:
I also have a small sailboat trailer I may be able to modify temporarily in an effrort to grab the bike. Has anyone every tried to put a 175 yamha enduro inside the van (jump seats removed and a weekender package). Will it fit??

Just rent a pickup for the afternoon?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-haul rents a regular sized van for $25.. give or take a little.

and yeah, for semi normal hauling I'd consider adapting the small trailer.. even if it'll be a pain in the butt.

or find a local welder/fab guy check in the Jeep crowd and craigslist for a reference.. some will do it for $50 over materials..many won't but some will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Plan - laying 1 - 2 x 6 and 2 - 2 x 4 down as a tire gutter and strapping to my small boat trailer (which will handle the load) and haul iwth the go westy rack. Also have a call into a friend for pick up borrow.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

Good call with the trailer. I suspect you'll have enough attaching opportunities on a boat trailer to figure out how to make that channel work. Mount it as low as you can if its a really small trailer, or you could get a wild multi-axial sway like you see those concrete mixer trailers do on the highway.

As a long term solution, one of those light duty trailers the big box hardware stores sell would make an ideal platform for a couple bikes side by side, plus you would have it for other uses. Some fold up and lean against the garage wall if space is a premium. Several buddies and I jointly bought one and put 6 cheap bike mounts on it for mountain bike road trips. I also see used ones on Craigs List for under $100 regularly with light use.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ ]
burleymotorsports wrote:

The go westy hitch is weak and IMHO not worth having , and certainly wont hold a motorcycle or any weight. Sorry I'm not trying to be smug , it's just the truth.

Pretty classless IMHO to go on to a public forum and repeatedly bad mouth other peoples products and try to push your own. It's really not needed.[/quote]

CAUTION :
IMHO - At times my postings may inflict rectal discomfort for some of our viewers , I don't plan on changing , I call em as I see em.
May I suggest removing the cranium from the rectum , this may relieve some of the discomfort that is being experienced.

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Alan,

Good call with the trailer. I suspect you'll have enough attaching opportunities on a boat trailer to figure out how to make that channel work. Mount it as low as you can if its a really small trailer, or you could get a wild multi-axial sway like you see those concrete mixer trailers do on the highway.

As a long term solution, one of those light duty trailers the big box hardware stores sell would make an ideal platform for a couple bikes side by side, plus you would have it for other uses. Some fold up and lean against the garage wall if space is a premium. Several buddies and I jointly bought one and put 6 cheap bike mounts on it for mountain bike road trips. I also see used ones on Craigs List for under $100 regularly with light use.

DougM

Good call on the trailer, have a safe a fun ride on the motorcycles

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

CAUTION :
IMHO - At times my postings may inflict rectal discomfort for some of our viewers , I don't plan on changing , I call em as I see em.
May I suggest removing the cranium from the rectum , this may relieve some of the discomfort that is being experienced.

^^this.

besides, who said anything about staying classy?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Go Westy Trailer Hitch work for Dirt Bike Hitch Rac Reply with quote

Alan F wrote:
Have the Go Westy Trailer Hitch

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2582&category_id=&category_parent_id=

I'm wondering if I can use something like this

http://www.hitchsource.com/600lb-aluminum-hitch-tw...PAod9UIAjQ

Yes - I can get a better price on fleabay for $229 with free shipping but there is a local one on craigslist for $200 obo. The thing is that the hitch is supposed to not work on hitches that are not class III or class IV and the Go Westy one is rated a class III in strength but only considered a class I because Go Westy doesn't think you should haul more than #100 tongue weight/#1000 trailer weight. Obvioiusly my 2 dirt bikes (small XR 100 Honda and 175# yamaha IT400 2 stroke single cylinder) would weigh no more than #350 so I think from a tongue weight perspective I might be pushing it? Not sure on this. What do you guys think?

With the proper hitch or bumper\hitch you should not have an issue with two bikes. Especially the small XR.... I usually have an xr70 and xr50 on my rack and a three place trailer behind with three full size bikes on it. The picture shows my wife's DT on the rack with trailer behind.. but I have had my Husqvarna on the rack with no issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burleymotorsports wrote:

CAUTION :

My head is no where near my ass, but thanks for confirming my original assumptions.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1" hitch and wanted a 4 holding bike rack, so was told to get a 2" hitch. I looked at the Burley one, but liked the attachments that gowesty had, which means their bumper, which meant there hitch. So, when I went to get my bike rack, discovered my bike (of the 4 in the family) didn't fit. Crying or Very sad

At any rate, went to look at another rack today http://www.yelp.ca/biz/rack-n-hitch-richmond
The man asked me my trailer hitch class b/c I wanted a rack for 4-5 bikes. 5 bike one was on sale and I'm a sucker for a sale. I stared at him w/ a blank look. Confused Got smart and told him to look it up on the gowesty site.
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2582&category_id=&category_parent_id=

He pointed out the same thing that PP did, which is 100# tongue weight. Well, my 1" one had that, WTH is the point of it!? I want to put 1 cheap adult bike, 1 expensive large kids bike, 1 very expensive medium sized kids bike and 1 cheap small kids bike on...But, that's GOT to be over 100#!? NOW what? Shocked

Has anyone contacted gowesty to see their opinion on this? Interesting that they're the only business around here that doesn't comment on things when their products are in question!? Rolling Eyes

WHAT!? What's the point of a 2" receiver if you can't tow and/or put a larger bike rack on there?
geo_tonz wrote:
From the Go Westy site:

"While it is Class III in strength, we rate it to Class I (100# tongue weight/1000# tow rate) as we feel it is unsafe to tow anything over 1000lbs with a stock Vanagon"

To me, the "While it is Class III in strength..." statement is pretty generous. The whole thing is held on with 1 bolt pinching it to each tow loop. I'm sure the overall construction is strong but the mounts are subjected to serious twisting/prying action with increased tongue weight. A couple bicycles shouldn't be a big deal (those are heavy bikes if they're 150lbs with the rack!) but I'd be frequently checking those bolts and using the ones that came with it, or same/greater grade and size bolts. overall I'd just rather have something that goes to the frame rails and bolts up there.

Overall they are only willing to claim it is sufficient for 100lb tongue weight (though it's likely a bit stronger than that).

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
So, when I went to get my bike rack, discovered my bike (of the 4 in the family) didn't fit. Crying or Very sad

Why/how?

My dad's bike won't work on a "hanging" rack; got an adapter and works like a charm: http://www.etrailer.com/p-TH982XT.html (there are other brands on the market; I got mine from Performance Bike).

tam_shops wrote:
I want to put 1 cheap adult bike, 1 expensive large kids bike, 1 very expensive medium sized kids bike and 1 cheap small kids bike on...But, that's GOT to be over 100#!? NOW what? Shocked

Weigh each bike (bathroom scale will do) so that you know their exact weight. Cost and size are no reference points.

tam_shops wrote:
WHAT!? What's the point of a 2" receiver if you can't tow and/or put a larger bike rack on there?

A 2" receiver is more versatile and, usually, heavy-duty than a 1".

My Thule rack weighs upwards of 40 pounds; the 3 bikes that ride on the rack weigh roughly 21 pounds each. That's over 100 pounds... GW hitch has had no issues.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kamz! Hate it when I've done my reading/research, buy something and *then* find out I missed something (especially this obvious) that is so obvious and should have bought a different one...And of course, things change and who knows one day I may want to tow something, then I'd have to buy *another* trailer hitch!?

I will weigh the bikes and do the math. I still see two problems, first my kids will grow and need bigger bikes over the years. Second, you can only go to 80% of the weight allowed, so 80# and it has to include the rack. So, 20#x4 bikes is already 80#.

Will look at the links. Know there is an attachment for funky mountain bikes on a hanging rack, but didn't know that there was anything for kids bikes. What I've noticed is they put one bar through and let the other one just hang free. Freaks me out!

tam
kamzcab86 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:
So, when I went to get my bike rack, discovered my bike (of the 4 in the family) didn't fit. Crying or Very sad

Why/how?

My dad's bike won't work on a "hanging" rack; got an adapter and works like a charm: http://www.etrailer.com/p-TH982XT.html (there are other brands on the market; I got mine from Performance Bike).

tam_shops wrote:
I want to put 1 cheap adult bike, 1 expensive large kids bike, 1 very expensive medium sized kids bike and 1 cheap small kids bike on...But, that's GOT to be over 100#!? NOW what? Shocked

Weigh each bike (bathroom scale will do) so that you know their exact weight. Cost and size are no reference points.

tam_shops wrote:

A 2" receiver is more versatile and, usually, heavy-duty than a 1".

My Thule rack weighs upwards of 40 pounds; the 3 bikes that ride on the rack weigh roughly 21 pounds each. That's over 100 pounds... GW hitch has had no issues.

Making it special:
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep in mind that "ratings" for these aftermarket products (like hitches) are estmates. I doubt GW went out and did any thorough testing. (3rd party engineering calcs and verifications are expensive. Certifications even more so.).

I owned a GW hitch and it worked OK.. I abused it with 350lbs of tongue weight at times. The steel in the GW hitch is not the problem. It is the design. It just is not proper structure to the vehicle to support more than 100lbs or so.

The more wieght and the further out it is cantilevered.. the more stress it will see. And it is not a linear equeation. Add uneven roads into the equation ans its anybody's guess to what safe limits are. It comes down t personal responsibility.

The bolts onto tow loops is a compromise design., is all...

A proper frame mount hitch however will give quite a bit more structure.
I have had both and the two designs are night and day. The frame mount will handle loads that are more than the suspension really wants to deal with.. so that must be managed somehow, as well. Then you get into GVWR and braking capabilities.. a very slippery slope.

It should be noted that the frame mount designs are not likely tested, either.
The only testing is in actual use. And there is ample testimony on this site by a myriad of users of both types of designs to establish safely-managed load parameters. Just no garauntees.

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uugghhh and Aaaahh and thank you! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

So, is the Burley one the only frame mount one?

And, what about this one? It's the one that they lifted the Vanagon up by, right?
http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Vanagon_Twin_Peaks_Rear_Bumper_p/rmw-tp02.htm

tam
j_dirge wrote:
Please keep in ind that "ratings" for these aftermarket products (like hitches) are estmates. I doubt GW went out and did any thorough testing. (3rd party engineering calcs and verifications are expensive. Certifications even more so.).

I owned a GW hitch and it worked OK.. I abused it with 350lbs of tongue weight at times. The steel in the GW hitch is not the problem. It is the design. It just is not proper structure to the vehicle to support more than 100lbs or so.

The more wieght and the further out it is cantilevered.. the more stress it will see. And it is not a linear equeation. Add uneven roads into the equation ans its anybodies guees to what safe limits are.

The bolts onto tow loops is a compromise design., is all...

A proper frame mount hitch however will give quite a bit more structure.
I have had both and the two designs are night and day. The frame mount will handle loads that are more than the suspension really wants to deal with.. so that must be managed somehow, as well. Then you get into GVWR and braking capabilities.. a very slippery slope/

It should be noted that the frame mount designs are not likely tested, either.
The only testing is in actual use. And there is ample testimony on this site by a myriad of users to establish safely-managed load parameters. Just no garauntees.

Making it special:
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Burley's hitch.. Mine was an earlier prototype towards the design he sells today to work with the f/g bumpers. It is more robust than the OEM Vanagon braking, suspension, and driveline is capable.
Thats the slippery slope. I have spent a good amount of time making changes to accomodate up to 250-300lbs of tongue wieght.. But then the transmission has its limts, too. And its just not up to heavy towing or hauling IMHO.

I can not speak to RMW's bumpr hitch. I have not seen the structure, under, that holds the receiver. But Mike builds very nice product and I trust his expertise. (I own several engine conversion products of his).
I'd call him and ask specifically how the receiver is attached to the frame members. Ask if there is 2" tubing (or comp) between the frame mounts and the receiver tube itself. (The weakest link in a chain is the likely failure point in a chain, right?)

Dennis Haynes is another manufacturer of a Class III type receiver for the Vanagon.. and is probably the most comparable to Burley's.

I have no intent on suggesting one product is better than another for anyones's specific needs. I can only say that GW's tow loop bolt-on product was OK for the money, but I need/wanted more.
I did not want an entire bumper solution, and thus the "real" frame hitches are the best solution for me.

danfromsyr wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: