Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Awning Options
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also looking for an awning. There is one I like in the classifieds but it is for local pickup only and quite a distance away...
On my old Adventurewagen, I had a very simple and cheap system that worked well. It had a metal slider near the top of the roof. The tent / awning had a plastic end on one side that slid into the metal receptacle.

Awning in place:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A good look at the permanently attached metal receptacle:

A close up of the metal receptacle:

The only down side is that the tent and poles needed a small storage space inside the van.

Bill
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: shady boy Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
I still thing a shady boy trumps all other awnings. I love not haveing legs touching the ground
Blue Bay Bus I love mine 3 min. set up, handles wind great ,takes rain great to, half the cost of a Fiamma ,and has a nice metal case. This is mine only have the small rope on each corner. Also if a big wind comes up the poles bend, or to much rain the poles bend and then all is OK. If you have a Fiamma they bend and your out a lot of $. They are hooked to the van up high can still walk around the van with no problem! Comes with the legs and all fits in the case. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a shady boy on my last van and decided not to drill holes into the roof of the new van to install it. I had the optional vertical poles and always used them since the wind makes it move around a lot. I never liked it that much and neither did the GF.
Bought a 8' fiamma off craigslist for $100 and am much happier with it.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Had a shady boy on my last van and decided not to drill holes into the roof of the new van to install it. I had the optional vertical poles and always used them since the wind makes it move around a lot. I never liked it that much and neither did the GF.
Bought a 8' fiamma off craigslist for $100 and am much happier with it.

That is what is turning me off to it. I down want to drill into the roof either. It was bad enough to drill into the pillars for Fiamma brackets.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt too concerned about holes...they are under the camper top on my van...Plus I dont get bent out of shape drilling holes for something so useful. I guess I can understand why some dont like holes
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is it basically the case that the SHADY Boy is really just good for providing shelter from the sun while the Fiamma is what you want when you need shelter from the rain and wind?

It seems the SB is best for desert dwellers while the Fiamma is what those of us in the windy wet northwest would probably prefer.
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: ezy Reply with quote

Anyone know how an Ezy awning attaches to the top of a vanagon? The Bus Depot site says no permanent mounting points or holes, but one of the close up pics of the corner of the awning sure makes it look like a bracket is bolted to the roof of the van.
I've tried in vain several different methods to secure a cheap-o K-mart awning to the side of the van and it either doesn't hold with the slightest gust of wind or starts to shred the nylon and/or scratch up the paint.

Thanks,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: ezy Reply with quote

syncromike wrote:
Anyone know how an Ezy awning attaches to the top of a vanagon? The Bus Depot site says no permanent mounting points or holes, but one of the close up pics of the corner of the awning sure makes it look like a bracket is bolted to the roof of the van.
I've tried in vain several different methods to secure a cheap-o K-mart awning to the side of the van and it either doesn't hold with the slightest gust of wind or starts to shred the nylon and/or scratch up the paint.

Thanks,
Mike

The EZ Awning uses these clamps to secure the awning to the rain gutter.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
So, is it basically the case that the SHADY Boy is really just good for providing shelter from the sun while the Fiamma is what you want when you need shelter from the rain and wind?

It seems the SB is best for desert dwellers while the Fiamma is what those of us in the windy wet northwest would probably prefer.

Id probably disagree...I think a shady boy awning is good for anywhere. I was camping with a group last year and the awning that failed in the rain storm was the fiamma
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: ezy Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
The EZ Awning uses these clamps to secure the awning to the rain gutter.

Thanks Timwhy! That's very helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason for the Fiamma to fail in rain storm if properly used and you follow the instructions. Use the tension rafters and tie downs and you are good to go.

I really like my F45S 10 ft, plenty of shelter for the family. This is one thing I don't have to worry about.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
SCM wrote:

Id probably disagree...I think a shady boy awning is good for anywhere. I was camping with a group last year and the awning that failed in the rain storm was the fiamma

Why would the Fiamma fail in a rain storm? High wind, not tethered, staked? Don't make a comment with an explanation of why. That is absolutely of no help.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss my old Fiamma. I admit, that after my damaging it due to failure to follow the mounting instructions I knee-jerked and sold it. I'd like to buy another soon.

I really like the shady boy because its compact and light, but I don't like that you need to drill into the roof to mount it. If I need to drill, I'd rather make two holes for the Fiamma, than 4 for the Shady boy.

Has anyone comeup with an alternative?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencersk8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have a lead on a transawn2000 (fingers crossed), so transawn 2000 owners talk to me. Pros cons, weight?, pics, anything. Thanks in advance
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencersk8 wrote:
I may have a lead on a transawn2000 (fingers crossed), so transawn 2000 owners talk to me. Pros cons, weight?, pics, anything. Thanks in advance

You'll now want to venture over to the TransAwn 2000 thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443718 . Wink

The only major con is the case opens down, so you'll need a method of holding the tray up when deployed; otherwise, the sliding door will scrape against it. My method is cam-straps:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: shady boy Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
I miss my old Fiamma. I admit, that after my damaging it due to failure to follow the mounting instructions I knee-jerked and sold it. I'd like to buy another soon.

I really like the shady boy because its compact and light, but I don't like that you need to drill into the roof to mount it. If I need to drill, I'd rather make two holes for the Fiamma, than 4 for the Shady boy.

Has anyone comeup with an alternative?
Blue Bay Bus Don't have to drill holes. I just mount it to my Yakima roof rack towers, works great! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: shady boy Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
Blue Bay Bus Don't have to drill holes. I just mount it to my Yakima roof rack towers, works great! Very Happy

That would be an awesome idea... If I didn't have a Westy roof Smile lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
spencersk8 wrote:

You'll now want to venture over to the TransAwn 2000 thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443718 . Wink

The only major con is the case opens down, so you'll need a method of holding the tray up when deployed; otherwise, the sliding door will scrape against it. My method is cam-straps:

That's weird - I've had my TransAwn 2000 on three different Vanagons and none of them had any clearance issues with the slider. I wonder which version of the awning mounts you're using?

Living where we do, I really like that the case turns into an eaves trough; that way I can slant the awning back toward the van and all the collected rainwater gets channeled through the gutter.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: shady boy Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
joseph928 wrote:

That would be an awesome idea... If I didn't have a Westy roof Smile lol

couple of holes arent going to hurt your van
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
spencersk8 wrote:

That's weird - I've had my TransAwn 2000 on three different Vanagons and none of them had any clearance issues with the slider. I wonder which version of the awning mounts you're using?

Living where we do, I really like that the case turns into an eaves trough; that way I can slant the awning back toward the van and all the collected rainwater gets channeled through the gutter.

We have 2 trans-awns at the house and neither one has ever scrapped the slider. Perhaps the mounting isn't upright enough on the one scrapping. For me the biggest down side is the weight....pretty heavy. On one of the vans here which has had the trans awn for years, it is starting to seperate the metal at the raingutter due to the weight.

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 22

Jump to: