Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you tighten the windscreen wipers?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thfcian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Can you tighten the windscreen wipers? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 63 split that I am just getting used t and the lack of published material led me to asking on here.

My windscreen wipers are very loose, there is no tension between the blade and the windscreen so they don't remove water.

Also the passenger side just moves very slightly and ends up off to the far right wiping the frame rather than the window.

So can I tighten them to make sure they have a proper "wipezone" and to make sure they actually move water from the glass?

Thanks for any help,

Ian
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First make sure you have good blades. I'm assuming you have the little earlier arms but the larger later ones are kinda the same. Remove the whole arm using the set screw. Open it up and remove the tension spring and wafer thingy. Clean the whole thing including working the pivot of the arm. Oil the pivot, reinstall the spring and little wafer. Trickle some oil down the wiper shafts where they spin but remove the dust/water covers ( if you have them ) then reinstall the covers. Turn on the motor and watch the stubs turn and try to predict where to tighten the arms. Reinstall the arms in the closed position ( I do it that way ) pretty tight. Check how far they travel and adjust accordingly. Final tighten not over tighten. I always push in on the arms towards the glass as a final-vinyl.
thfcian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for that, I will order new blades tomorrow and then get the job done.

It is good to know it can be done!
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split window wipers are basically a bad joke.

Probably one of the reasons VW started making Baywindows...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree that the splittie wipers are just as bad as the early beetles and the persistent problem of the locking set screw wearing out the stud just about drove me crazy. My safari's would not open unless i unbolted the wipers or bought one of those expensive offset pivots.
I solved the problem by using bay splines welded to the shafts and now my wipers work well, don't slip and come off easy with one 10 mm nut for my safari's to pop open as required. A good quality wiper blade makes all the difference also. Hell, it rains for the last 6 months of the year down here.
floyd1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go through the whole wiper system it doesn't take long , worn ball joints , worn shafts and bent rods all contribute to bad wipers , if all the parts are good and set up right the wipers do their job .
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I did on my last bus was to get the wiper arms in the correct location. Then I marked the location of the holddown screw on the shaft. Then I removed the arms and filed a small flat spot on the shaft so there was a bigger spot for the screw to seat on.

If you need more preload on the blades you can bend the arm a little to tension the arm and the blade.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can bend the arms so they press harder on the screen if you still have working springs. Wink
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Maingot wrote:
I can agree that the splittie wipers are just as bad as the early beetles and the persistent problem of the locking set screw wearing out the stud just about drove me crazy. My safari's would not open unless i unbolted the wipers or bought one of those expensive offset pivots.
... A good quality wiper blade makes all the difference also. Hell, it rains for the last 6 months of the year down here.

The later pinch bolt wiper arms are better in sticking to the shaft than the ealier set screw wiper arm bases.

Of course the safaris don't open if you don't have safari wiper pivots. That is like saying the doors don't open right w/out hinges. You are missing a part.

Yes, some of the new blades are poor quality.

In terms of them just not pressing to the glass, if cleaning up your bases doesn't work, find some with better springs.
Try what Krusher said.

It rains about 163 days per year here, so wipers are important
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late 1980's I went to a dealership and tried to order new original VW wiper arms and bases for use on my '67 Westy. The part numbers were still good, so they got ordered and I wanted for them to come in to the dealership. When I picked them up, I could see they had been modified by VW for more blade tension on the windshield. The new "one-piece" base/arm looked more like a early '70's wiper arm, had a more serious "tension spring" and worked much better. They also used the later "pinch-bolt method of clamping down onto the '67 wiper shaft, so very secure and less-damaging method of mounting. Didn't look much like the original base and arm, but worked great. I tried them out for a while, but when I located very nice used units, I swapped back to the original look.

I think I still have them somewhere, and perhaps I'll locate them and post up a shot or two. They had the same Bus part number, but a different modification letter as I remember.

Actually, I don't even mount the wiper base/arm/baldes on my Buses unless I need to have them inspected. I use "Rain-X" on the glass and don't really need the blades anymore. I've got them inside each Bus, but don't run with them...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Back in the late 1980's I went to a dealership and tried to order new original VW wiper arms and bases for use on my '67 Westy. The part numbers were still good, so they got ordered and I wanted for them to come in to the dealership. When I picked them up, I could see they had been modified by VW for more blade tension on the windshield. The new "one-piece" base/arm looked more like a early '70's wiper arm, had a more serious "tension spring" and worked much better. They also used the later "pinch-bolt method of clamping down onto the '67 wiper shaft, so very secure and less-damaging method of mounting. Didn't look much like the original base and arm, but worked great. I tried them out for a while, but when I located very nice used units, I swapped back to the original look.

I think I still have them somewhere, and perhaps I'll locate them and post up a shot or two. They had the same Bus part number, but a different modification letter as I remember.

Actually, I don't even mount the wiper base/arm/baldes on my Buses unless I need to have them inspected. I use "Rain-X" on the glass and don't really need the blades anymore. I've got them inside each Bus, but don't run with them...

Bill Bowman

Those are the "new" post recall replacement part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... yeah... I seem to remember talk of a recall, and these blade/arms were the eventual fix.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Rain-X on my '66 Beatle and it is amazing how good it sheds water and slush, just have to do it on a regular basis if it is a daily driver.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my split bus days i used french wiper blades from a renault 4, same screwed on fitting to the arm as standard split bus but they were the modern "sprung" type blades. Idea
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: