Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slammed Thing tire size
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Slammed Thing tire size Reply with quote

It's time to buy tires for my Thing. Rear is lowered one outer spline, front has been converted to Ghia spindles with adjusters, I can drop the beam to almost touching to floor. The plan is to run it low, but not so low its not driveable, or scrapes on every bump in the road Laughing . I need suggestions on a tire size that will work without any rubbing issues. Since the car has been converted to Ghia discs in the front, I converted the rear to 4 lug discs to match. Plan for now is to run the detailed 8 spokes I currently have.

An input on what is working for other?
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked to the owner of this one and I am in the process of doing the same to my Thing. 15x6 Porsche cookie cutters.

Front:
Adjustable bug beam with ghia discs. Tires are 175/55/15 but he suggested going with 155/60/15 or 145/65/15 with a narrowed beam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rear
Turned two inner clicks. With 185/65/15 tire there is about two inches before it hits the top of the fender.

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit I wish I had checked this first! I just ordered 185/60-15's for the front, and 205/65-15 for the rear. Worst case i just wont be able to slam the front end to the ground, but that's not really the look I was going for.
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52, did you get your tires yet to see how they'll fit?

I have a set of 16" Boxster rims - does anyone think I can run thier stock sizes of 205/55/16 up front on a 2" narrowed bug beam and 225/50/16 with a 944 conversion in the rear?

I'm not going for the slammed look.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires are in. I was hoping to get them mounted and the pan back under the body this weekend, but due to the impending snow storm here, it may be a while now Evil or Very Mad .

205's will likely be close up front, even with a 2" beam. Not sure 225's will fit in the rear without rubbing...
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinking I'm going to attempt 225/50-16 for the rear and 205/45-16 up front.

As for rubbing in the rear I know emersonbiggins has 17 x 7.5" with 235/45s on his stock height Thing. Maybe I'll shoot him a PM.
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr have you gotten your tires put on yet, I'm curious to see how they look.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are on. Car is up on stands still with no fenders, so not sure how the final stance will be and if there are any rubbing issues.

Here's an older pic from when I first put them on.

Low181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Slammed Thing tire size Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
It's time to buy tires for my Thing. Rear is lowered one outer spline, front has been converted to Ghia spindles with adjusters, I can drop the beam to almost touching to floor. The plan is to run it low, but not so low its not driveable, or scrapes on every bump in the road Laughing . I need suggestions on a tire size that will work without any rubbing issues. Since the car has been converted to Ghia discs in the front, I converted the rear to 4 lug discs to match. Plan for now is to run the detailed 8 spokes I currently have.

An input on what is working for other?

Hey Bashr52, I know right now is a little too late due to tires already being ordered. But, right here is the info my my current set-up. It has a stock ball joint beetle beam, doesn't really matter what year, mine was mid-60's. To get the right drop, I stuck with that beam's arms and I junked the stocker spindles. I replaced the spindles with Cip1's Ball Joint Drop Spindles. Now here is the info I intended to put in: on the front I have Continental ContiEcoContact EP 145/65/15 (SmartCar tires), and on the rear I have Signet SB-802 165/80/15. The 145/65 only rub in hard braking. Please forgive me for the repugnant iPhone crop.

Thanks, Dakota.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dakota.

I kept the stock front end, but switched to Ghia spindles and added adjusters. The beam is almost on the ground with the pan unloaded. Here's a pic from when I first finished the pan.

Low181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good! Your ride should have a killer rake to it. I wanted to go lower, but I already get hung up in my driveway. I haven't taken it to the streets yet. But my other vehicle already gets hung up everywhere else in town. My frame head is little under four inches off the ground. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr, that should look just about right once you get it all put together!

Low181, I really like your stance. I decided on 225/50/16 for the rear and 195/45/16 for the front. I ordred them but got an email back stating I could wait 6-8weeks till the fronts are back in stock ugh!
Anyway here's a pic of my chassis sitting for some tires.

Please excuse the mess, I was digging through old stuff to get rid of.
Low181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr, be careful lowering the rear. My 181 is turned two splines, and I had it rested on the spring plates. I raised it up and cut them to relieve the load, now it's resting on my bump stops. They separate and then crash again on a good size bump. I think that right there is a great stopping point. I just checked about cutting my bump stop mounts out, well let's just say if I did that, my fender bolts will wear my tire out. And I know for sure you will have to have shocks. My tires, even being as short as they are, rubbed every second of my fender out on it's maiden voyage to Subway LOL!. So, us fellow 181 freaks seem to have limitations. Sad

GodJockey, thank you for the compliment. I wish my pan was clean!

Here you go. I know it isn't the best looking car. But, here's inspiration to get you two finished!

GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

181freak, I was just looking at your new pics actually. What part of the fender were you rubbing, was it the width or total length of the tire that was the problem? my 225/50/16 is just a hair shorter but obviously a good deal wider, so now I'm wondering what to do here...
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low,

It's been so long now I cannot remember if I went 1 or 2 outer splines! I am not worried about rubbing issues however, as I did flip my arms and the tires sit flat again once the pan was loaded with the body weight.
Low181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GodJockey, my tire was rubbing the underside of the top of my fender. So, I got some Monroe Gas-matic shocks and it solved that. I didn't think it would rub like that, because they are only 145/65s(smart car tires). Very short tires. Although, I do have a type one ball joint beam and arms. And also drop spindles. So altogether it put it down there.

Bashr, yeah, I probably should have did what you did. But, I just notched my spring plates instead. I didn't have to take it back apart that way. Lol. Bad thing is is that I had to notched them almost halfway through the height of them.
VDUBONDUBS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....I thought this thread was a good candidate for my inquiry.....so I'm gonna slam my 73 on brms.....was going to build an adjustable beam with bug dropped spindles.....but was curious as to whether I should narrow it and how much?
Low181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@VDUBONDUBS, With my setup, I didn't have to narrow the beam at all. I have no problems with it stock width either. But, if you do go narrowing the beam, take it out of the center instead of the ends. I had a friend that cut the ends, well, lets just say there is a taper on the ends of ball joint beams for the arms. It didn't work out for him. Also, if you go with adjusters, it will push your caster towards the headlight bucket. Drop spindles wont.

Sorry man, I posted this reply on the other topic too.
VDUBONDUBS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low181 wrote:
@VDUBONDUBS, With my setup, I didn't have to narrow the beam at all. I have no problems with it stock width either. But, if you do go narrowing the beam, take it out of the center instead of the ends. I had a friend that cut the ends, well, lets just say there is a taper on the ends of ball joint beams for the arms. It didn't work out for him. Also, if you go with adjusters, it will push your caster towards the headlight bucket. Drop spindles wont.

Lol yep just saw that! But I do appreciate the commitment to the response! .....and Sry for goin off on the other guy....
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low181 wrote:

Caster shims will correct this. I've got one set on my beam now, will have to see how it drives, may need to go to another set.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: