Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting 1lb propane tank to Westy stove
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: 1 LB bottles Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
indytriple wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are you minus a fridge? Or, did you just not want to run another line for it?
Nice install!
Blue Bay Bus I use 1LB bottles to run my stove. Went to our RV dealer, he said it is illegal to use rubber hose in a RV for propane . Went to Ace got a flaring tool some copper line , a couple of fittings, new 2 stage valve . And in 30 min all done! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this old thread got revived recently. Here is a picture of what I came up with back when I started this thread a few years ago. I have never used it, but carry it along anyhow. Our stock tank would easily go two weeks or more with a good fill using the fridge 24/7 and the stove twice a day. I installed an Espar for heat, so I believe we have the propane supply covered for now. At the time of this post, I felt I would not have the stock tank completed and reinstalled and was working for a temporary solution. I work well with deadlines though and got the stock tank finished. mark

Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but does anyone know of where i can source online the necessary parts to run my westy stove entirely off a 1lb cylinder?
As in, I don't have any of the other pipes or existing tank in place, nor do I want to.

I understand a regulator with a hose, with a 3/8'' (???) pipe thread fitting on one end, and a 1''-20 fitting on the other?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart will have the single grill hose and regulator and get the cylinder adapter from an RV store.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. I only need propane for the cook stove (electric fridge and diesel stationary heater), so it doesn't make sense for me to carry that heavy and rusty propane tank everywhere. I will give the cartridges a shot and try to take go from "disposable" to "reusable".

On a side note, I have not been able to find a small, refillable propane bottle in this country. Does anyone know of one? 2 pounds or so?

Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5Lb is the smallest I have found. We have a 5 and a 10. They cost the same as a 20 though.....
It's nice to have compact cylinders as they store easier.

Geoff
McLean
VA
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get all the parts to effortlessly convert my stove to 1lb cylinders from walmart.
I'm now somewhat concerned with potential offgassing in the vehicle though.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:

I put a T fitting BEFORE the regulator (at the tank) so that I can screw in my locally made 1 lb bottle adapter hose ($40) OUTSIDE the van to have a back up propane supply. You don't need to add another regulator if you do it this way. 3 feet of hose is enough to reach the ground and stand the 1lb bottle upright.

Can you post a photo?
[/quote]

Many thanks.
D
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. I'll take a pic tomorrow of the tank setup and the 3 ft hose I had made. Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: propane tank Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Just thought I would throw this out, most states are requiring a two stage regulator! Some of the old pictures show the old single stage regulator. This is the new one. Better to be safe then sorry! Parts also at Ace Hardware . Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DeadSetMonkey,

Here's the pics of the "T" in my propane line that I use to attach a short hose for a 1LB propane bottle and back up my tank when it runs out in the middle of nowhere.

The "T" is plumbed in before the regulator and after the valve. The added length of the "T" will extend the whole enchilada about 4-6 inches which you can compensate for by bending your copper propane line a little to fit. I don't have a propane fridge anymore so I tossed the old copper line and now use high compression hose and good, stainless hose clamps (non-perforated) - works great.

The "T" fitting in the photo looks "flat" from that angle, but it is shaped like a "T". That square bit in the center is the cap/plug that you remove to screw in the male end of the 1LB bottle hose (third pic). The fourth pic shows the other end of the hose (female) which screws into the 1LB bottle.The square nut makes it easy to get it off with an adjustable wrench.

I had the hose made up for me at a local propane place that services home propane tanks. They will sell you the "T" as well. I don't know the thread and fitting size so bring the van with you when you go.

When you run out of propane, you just undo the square plug, screw in the 1LB hose, screw in the other end to you 1LB bottle and Bob's Your Uncle - yer back in business!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can just use this, no need to change the gas plumbing.

It's great for long stays.
You can get different hoses if you just want to use 1lb bottle. Although for "truth in advertising" not sure if the 1lb bottle has enough pressure to overcome the valve.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the reasons that I used a "T". I wasn't sure whether how a 1LB bottle would affect the big filler valve.

I was also taking out my propane fridge so I had to mess with the plumbing anyway...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

It's great for long stays.
You can get different hoses if you just want to use 1lb bottle. Although for "truth in advertising" not sure if the 1lb bottle has enough pressure to overcome the valve.

Where did you get the above hose? Thank you.
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
Hey DeadSetMonkey,

Here's the pics of the "T" in my propane line that I use to attach a short hose for a 1LB propane bottle and back up my tank when it runs out in the middle of nowhere.

The "T" is plumbed in before the regulator and after the valve. The added length of the "T" will extend the whole enchilada about 4-6 inches which you can compensate for by bending your copper propane line a little to fit. I don't have a propane fridge anymore so I tossed the old copper line and now use high compression hose and good, stainless hose clamps (non-perforated) - works great.

The "T" fitting in the photo looks "flat" from that angle, but it is shaped like a "T". That square bit in the center is the cap/plug that you remove to screw in the male end of the 1LB bottle hose (third pic). The fourth pic shows the other end of the hose (female) which screws into the 1LB bottle.The square nut makes it easy to get it off with an adjustable wrench.

I had the hose made up for me at a local propane place that services home propane tanks. They will sell you the "T" as well. I don't know the thread and fitting size so bring the van with you when you go.

When you run out of propane, you just undo the square plug, screw in the 1LB hose, screw in the other end to you 1LB bottle and Bob's Your Uncle - yer back in business!

Thanks!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:

The hose is readily available from any camping/gas supply store. The important bit is the brass adapter that fits the vehicle tank. That you have to get from a propane store/pro that sells fittings. About $24.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

I just ordered a 30" POL to POL hose for my adapter that BillM gave to me. Really great price on
the hose.
http://www.equipsupply.com/products/460-30-RUBBER-PIGTAIL

If you are needing the adapter, here's one.
http://www.protanksupply.com/acme-propane-fittings_detail.asp?ID=3048
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a picture when you are done. Hard to tell from the website what the fill tank valve adapter looks like.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Post a picture when you are done. Hard to tell from the website what the fill tank valve adapter looks like.

I can do that now if you'd like?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: