Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end damage?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Front end damage? Reply with quote

So after removal of my front fenders, I'm noticing a possible reason why my hood never had a clean seal. After scraping off some of the factory undercoating, I noticed some rust lines where it appears the front end was hit (albeit not that bad, really). The factory paint has cracked off in these 2 areas (see black and red arrows in the first picture). There's also some kind of dimple effect where the apron meets the body at the top (green arrow). My question for anyone with bodywork knowledge is this: Being a novice at any kind of body work, does this look like it warrants some type of pulling out by a body shop? I should also point out that the left half of the apron is pushed in about 1/2-3/4"....and I'm considering replacing the apron altogether because at least one of the front bumper mounts needs to be replaced.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sleepywiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you can see the front quater panel of my '60 beetle. The front was also slightly damaged. But I could hammer it out. You see the Quaterpanel has some pressings and is not flat.
Your black pointed line is for the sparetire. The old tires back in the fifties and sixties were bigger than the new tires today. So this "Dent" is stock to make space for the spare tire.
But the other pressings seems to be "enlarged" a little bit. Would be a challenge to make them smooth again.
You could try to bolt the bumperholders on the car and connect them with a strong beam.
Then bolt the body back onto the pan and put a car jack between the beam and the frame head. But be careful with it. Just put a bit stress on the construction. Then you could try do hammer and dolly it out.
The section pointed by the green arrow should be removed easily.

Replacing always should be the last option.

superdude72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely got a little bit of damage there. You can try and straighten it yourself with a hammer and dolly. Also an oxy/actlyne torch heated in dime size spots for a couple seconds and then tapped with a hammer can help the metal form back into its original state. Sort of a metal memory.
Otherwise, devise a way to pull on the front while you tap on and around the creases.
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar to what I have with my 65, I have tried pulling and heating those areas but I think mine is much worse and my body skills are just building up.

If that was mine I would pull the front section off and work it without it, however, I am just speculating on the outcome, the problem I see are the rust spots and the aftermath.... Everytime I start something like this I end up buying new steel so just ignore me please! I enjoy these learning threads and have very little to offer as far as quick fixes.

Everything I know I learned here and or by trial and error, and here Laughing

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll definitely try some gentle "persuasion" to start with, as I don't want to "f" it up worse. From a glance, the lines are actually fairly straight, but the hood doesn't close as straight-on as it should. I don't have a lot of bodywork experience, so I'm a little apprehensive about doing worse damage to it...
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-3 lb hand sledge & dolly. You can't hurt inner fenders!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luizzsf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics of how a straight front looks?
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sleepywiesel wrote:

I think this is a straight front!
sleepywiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:

I think this is a straight front!

Yes, this is the straightened front of my 60' bug. You can still see some small dents there. But it works Wink
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually doesn't look too bad! Besides, as long as it works good, with the fender on, no one will be able to see any imperfections. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: