Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Postal Flare repros ~ group buy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Noganav,

That was an example. It cost more than a dollar to shipped a set of those guys. Wink
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Mine fit really well. The little tongue that goes into the body groove is the key. With the tongue in the groove, I pushed the flare against the rearward side of the fender lip and it lined up nicely. Wink

Yup, I've got the tongue in the groove, still seeing 2-3mm gaps up top. I must not be pushing hard enough. I'll mount them permanently and see what happens. Still love them though.

My van had been hit (before my time) just aft of the passenger side wheel arch and the fit on that side wasn't quite as perfect as on the other. Not TerraWagen's fault, though! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
Dear Noganav,

That was an example. It cost more than a dollar to shipped a set of those guys. Wink

I think the point stands. He's selling them for the price he can, and compared to every other option they are dirt cheap. No sense quibbling over a few bucks be it $5 or $20. Particularly when it supports more projects like these.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
BenT Syncro wrote:
Dear Noganav,

I think the point stands. He's selling them for the price he can, and compared to every other option they are dirt cheap. No sense quibbling over a few bucks be it $5 or $20. Particularly when it supports more projects like these.

X2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got 'er done. Smile plus a bonus install Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aero gas filler came from Eric too many years ago. stainless screws blackened with magic chemicals from work

nice tight seam where the two parts come together.

swanky Cool fresh coat of Forever Black on the air dam. looks like I need wider rear wheels Exclamation

here's where you need to do a slight trim to get the part to nest up agents the air dam.
I used an air die grinder with a normal carbide rotary file for this. a little sandpaper to deburr it and a lighter to burn off the remaining fuzz.

well, nothing but net on this episode. can't wait to see how the rear arches fit.
thanks TerraWagen !! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Dixie goes Postal! Reply with quote

Installed Dixie's Postal Flares yesterday, washed her quickly and took a few pictures. They look great to my eye, just like factory.

I'm just hoping that they keep the winter road dirt thrown up on Dixie's flanks down to a minimum. I guess we'll see.

[/img][/b]
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dixie goes Postal! Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Installed Dixie's Postal Flares yesterday, washed her quickly and took a few pictures. They look great to my eye, just like factory.

I'm just hoping that they keep the winter road dirt thrown up on Dixie's flanks down to a minimum. I guess we'll see.

Looks good Jake!

Just FYI - I have a pic of your Bus as my desktop background Cool I'm thinking about painting mine white(ish). It's one of your "Icicle Road" ( I think) pics.

Liked the wheels in silver better though Wink
'84 T3 Kombi (Vanagon) 2.5 DOHC Subaru
'72 1200 (Economy) Beetle
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dixie goes Postal! Reply with quote

Worms wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Looks good Jake!

Just FYI - I have a pic of your Bus as my desktop background Cool I'm thinking about painting mine white(ish). It's one of your "Icicle Road" ( I think) pics.

Liked the wheels in silver better though Wink

Thanks! Its 'Icicle Creek Road'. I've always really liked the Pastel White vans - maybe because my Mom bought a new '65 Beetle in Pearl White - a similar colour.

The silver wheels have the all season tires on them, the black wheels have the winters...
www.thebassspa.com
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow guys, those look great!
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to install mine! What are folks using to treat the drill holes to protect from rust? I've seen POR15 mentioned...any other tips for install?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
I don't know about you but I am always on a budget.

Get a job or sell something Exclamation
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Can't wait to install mine! What are folks using to treat the drill holes to protect from rust? I've seen POR15 mentioned...any other tips for install?

I touched over the bare steel with etch primer, then a coat of epoxy enamel each side. On the outside, I put a small blob of Butyl rubber sealer (only semi sets, stays a bit sticky) then ran the screws in - the epoxy enamel is still quite soft at this time. I then brushed a bit more epoxy enamel over the backs of the screws and a final coat of stone guard for the ones under the arches to tidy it up.

OCD! Cool
'84 T3 Kombi (Vanagon) 2.5 DOHC Subaru
'72 1200 (Economy) Beetle
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got flares! Ben too busy and it's been too fracking cold to do the install!
Quality seems great. Can't wait for the rears for the ensemble look.
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:

on the door part...nothing.

on the small part I put dobs of non corosive RTV on the inside of the arch and ran the screw through it, than another dob of RTV where the screw pops through the back.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going postal! Cool i test fitted the postal flares today. Looking good but got a few questions:

Anybody using black RTV to seal the postal flares against the van's body?

Anybody making a hole in the door's postal flare to accommodate the head of the stock screw or bolt at the bottom of the door' edge? I think the bolt is for the window mechanism.

Thanks

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Flare Reply with quote

Flare mounts on door lip . Under seal . Leaves screw exposed and far away . I personally would never use RTV on raw metal as a sealant . Silicone is acidic and will invite rust. Use something like POR 15 or other Primer/Paint . I owe you any way ,give me your address and let me send you some of the best rust inhibitor paint I have ever used . It comes in a stick and you crack it and dab it on . I've used it for years on Glass pinch welds ,where dirt sits moist on the metal and cause corrosion . On cars I have done multiple times and applied this stuff ,never a rust spot . Just don't get it on your skin . I will also send some gloves .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Flare Reply with quote

Vwcrewman wrote:
Flare mounts on door lip . Under seal . Leaves screw exposed and far away . I personally would never use RTV on raw metal as a sealant . Silicone is acidic and will invite rust. Use something like POR 15 or other Primer/Paint . I owe you any way ,give me your address and let me send you some of the best rust inhibitor paint I have ever used . It comes in a stick and you crack it and dab it on . I've used it for years on Glass pinch welds ,where dirt sits moist on the metal and cause corrosion . On cars I have done multiple times and applied this stuff ,never a rust spot . Just don't get it on your skin . I will also send some gloves .

Stacy

Thanks Stacy

I had a senior moment, that screw is not even close to the door lip where the flare mounts.

My suggestion was to use RTV on the exterior, along the contact between the flare and the painted body panel.

I will PM you, thanks for the offer.

E

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Flare Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Vwcrewman wrote:

Stacy

Thanks Stacy

I had a senior moment, that screw is not even close to the door lip where the flare mounts.

My suggestion was to use RTV on the exterior, along the contact between the flare and the painted body panel.

I will PM you, thanks for the offer.

E

If you wanted a seal and a permanent bond, you'd be better off with Polyurethane caulk like SikaFlex. I want to be able to remove them to paint the van. Wink
www.thebassspa.com
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sika Wink
dplumtree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my flares and man do they look good. won't be able to install them until spring though. Westy is still snuggly stored in the garage for winter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 24

Jump to: