Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Little Buddy heater
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Little Buddy heater Reply with quote

So yes I did the search thing and I do remember some posts about this little heater. I was not able to find them so can you help me out. How is the "little buddy" in the westy. I plan on camping in weather that gets down to maybe 32*. This would be for only a weekend in the fall. We did it before without and were fine but I would like something to take the chill off. What is your experience?
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: heater Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus They work great. They have a low OXY. shut off. And a tip over shut off. Just open a window a little. But our vans leak a lot of air anyway. Love mine, sometimes I can leave the pilot light on only and still puts out some heat. Use high when I get up and low at night. But if I use it a lot the 1LB bottle goes fast, like 2-3 days. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried camping with a Coleman SportCat heater and it wasn't warm enough. I now have an Olympia Wave 6 and it will keep the camper warm all night in 32 degree weather on the low setting, which is supposed to be 3200 BTU. The Little Buddy is supposed to be around 3800 so it should be all right.

The one thing I will say is the SportCat heater got knocked more often than I'd like to admit, even without kids or dogs. Also, if a pillow falls off the bed in the middle of the night it can hit those. You really have to watch it with a portable heater like that. The Olympia is now mounted to the side wall of my kitchen module and haven't had any concerns.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Azul Tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've used one in 30degree weather and it did fine. I agree with the earlier suggestion to crack a window or upstairs screen otherwise the condensation can be annoying.
I have found since that my favorite heat source while hanging out in the van is a coleman propane lantern. I hang it by the poptop latch where it provides plenty of light and the warmth is great.

1991 Westfalia Weekender, auto,power, ac. GW lift springs
subwayaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lil buddy heat Reply with quote

Mulcheese wrote:
So yes I did the search thing and I do remember some posts about this little heater. I was not able to find them so can you help me out. How is the "little buddy" in the westy. I plan on camping in weather that gets down to maybe 32*. This would be for only a weekend in the fall. We did it before without and were fine but I would like something to take the chill off. What is your experience?

This is what I found in a search. Hope it helps
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Little-Buddy-Heater-2pk/20450314
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search "heater buddy"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443487&highlight=heater+buddy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=494985&highlight=heater+buddy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=485591&highlight=heater+buddy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405470&highlight=heater+buddy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196698&highlight=heater+buddy

I do know that on low a 1lb bottle will not last through the night.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Mr Heater when I camp at 30°F or below. I never use it when I sleep and I use a maccoupler to refill my propane bottle from a 20lb tank.

http://www.walmart.com/tp/mr-heater

http://maccoupler.com/
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mr Buddy Big Buddy and it had two key advantage that none of the other brands I found had. One, it holds 2 one pound canisters and can run for 11 hours on low. So that means overnight even on a long winter night up north here where the sun sets at 5pm and rises more than 12 hours later. Two, it has a small fan run off a couple batteries which is just enough to nicely move the warm air around the van. With it off, the van gets remarkably stratified with the warm air around the ceiling and you can literally lower your hand off the bunk into a "pool" of cold air at the floor. The fan moves it around and is a nice sound to sleep to.

On the down side, it is larger. I found it mounted nicely on straps facing rearward off the front passenger seat. I was planning a much sturdier mount up high above the left rear cargo window but never did.

Anyhow, having the ability to muster overpowering and authoritative heat when you've just climbed shivering and wet into the vehicle from a snowshoe run or similar was worth the slight extra size and extra cost. One of those products that makes you rub your hands together and say "Aaaah, that thing is SO worth it...."

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only used the little buddy a few times, but it was nice to take the chill off between dinner and bedtime. And it fits under the back seat. Silent and no smell.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep one under the bench seat for cool evenings and mornings when I need some additional motivation to get out of my sleeping bag. It's handy for fall temps and even around freezing, but I wouldn't rely on it as a primary source of warmth. Get a good sleeping bag and layer up first. This is more a comfort/ convenience item for me.
maryloucb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Coleman Blackcat which works great. We never leave it on all night, though. It may be the worried mother in me, but I have heard way too many true stories about people waking up dead (!) because of CO poisoning. Also, I would be worried about the risk of fire from a pillow or something falling on it.
When it's cold out I just fire it up for 10 minutes or so to heat up the van before we snuggle into our sleeping bags.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above (crack window/never while sleeping).

It's the perfect size & rating for the van, but we rarely leave it on
for very long at a time. Turn it on & off as necessary - just turn it
to pilot in between & act as your own thermostat. Leave it on pilot
over night & it adds a bit of heat & is ready to go at the flip of the
switch when you're almost ready to climb out of your 20* bag.

Nice unit - just be reasonable & careful!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the lil buddy in the westfalia for about four years. It is small and has a small footprint. I stow it behind the passenger seat and it rides nicely there. I sleep in different marinas in the NW year round for work. I generally sleep up top and it keeps it a very comfortable temperature. One bottle seems to last me between 4-7 hours but I really like heat and keep it on.

The condensation is bothering me. I crack a couple of windows and partiality open a canvas window. Doing this helps with the condensation but not enough. Things are damp in the morning and the inside of the windows are fogged and dripping. Thinking about that moisture accumulating behind the panels gives me stress so I bought a propex about a year ago. It is still in the box, super excited to get the time to install it.

The other drawbacks for me are I slightly worry about a pillow falling off the top bunk and landing close enough to it to catch fire while I am sleeping. Also since I crack the windows if I do get 8 hours of sleep the propane runs out at some point during the night so the inside temperature is now the same as outside. It sure is nice though to put another botttle in and start it up, warms things up quickly.

On New Years this year my wife and I camped at the beach to dig razor clams. It was below 32 degrees out. The propane had run out during the night and the moisture had frozen, all the windows were iced up on the inside. The ice thawed on the drive home and I think so much moisture ran behind the panels or dash that a wire shorted. As there was a very strong burnt wire smell.

I hope to not need to use the lil buddy in the westfalia again. I definitely appreciate it though and it will be utilized in our boat
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryloucb wrote:
..but I have heard way too many true stories about people waking up dead (!) because of CO poisoning.....

- word....that's why I don't leave ours on - I hate waking up dead and/ or on fire. And despite the supposed low CO2 switch, do you really want to put your life in the hands of a small appliance?
blake28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lil buddy and have used it in temps down to about 30. The condensation is the worst part. My windshield condensed so much that it dripped down the corner of the dash onto the fuse panel and shorted out the rad fan.

The heater did keep me very warm. We would run it for a few hours before bed and then shut it off to sleep. I don't like putting my life in the hands of a small appliance, though with a window cracked it would have probably been fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jrunberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've love the Lil Buddy. Pros are small size, catalytic heating and decent BTUs. Cons are condensation, no fan (which means no circulation) and a decent thirst for propane.

In our bus it's been used for the time between stopping (end of day) and sleeping. It's off at night as we tent the lower bed which allows us to preserve as much heat as possible.

A small battery powered fan makes a HUGE different in apparent comfort. Otherwise the heat pools primarily around the heater.

If you find one on sale it's worth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Little Buddy (LB) AND a Propex. I use the Propex inside the van at night, but light the LB outside the door like a fireplace when sitting out in the early evening. Plenty of safety features, but too much condensation for inside the van. Still great to have on board.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like this is what I am looking for. I picked one up on CL for $20, with a tank. I plan on using it on camping trips in the fall and will use it before bed and probably in the morning while I make coffee. We have some nice bags to keep the chill off while we sleep so it wont be used during the night. It is mainly for in the morning for when the kids get up and need to change.

He also had the "big buddy" heater for $50.
http://bend.craigslist.org/spo/3594270174.html

I felt that was too much for the van. Good price though.
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I camped with the little buddy over the weekend and it worked phenomenal. I had it on the low setting and had to turn it off after 10 minutes because it was too warm!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Mr Heater Buddy and it works great at heating up the Westy. The only thing I don't like
about it is the Fumes that it gives off. Even with the windows cracked or open you will still be able
to smell it. We have used it outside under the BD EZ Awning with the side walls attached. It heated
up that space with no problem or noticeable smell.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: