Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar Advice: Anything Wrong with this Picture?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: anderison Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANDERSON-CONNECTOR-SB50-6A...1e61275dc4

joseph928 wrote:

-You need two
-they're interchangeable
-polarized can't put it together wrong
-these are about the size of a match book:D

Perfect! Thanks
Gotta wonder why the eBay poster didn't think that info was important.
Dimensions: 1-7/8" x 1-7/16" x 5/8"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Here it is. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
DaveMag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Grid tie panels are out there plenty.

My mppt controller can handle up to 150 volts of solar input, for example.

The advantage is availability and the size of wire used is smaller because there is less current and hence less loss.

"Grid tie" panels run a far higher voltage. Mine are peaking at 70V and more.

Our small systems on the vans are quite sensitive to loses, so we maximize, best we can, with the right wire and highly efficient charge controllers. Our panels, generally, are not optimally sized nor oriented.

What I am stating, for our uses, is that for about the same money you can piece together a better system more suited for our application.

There is nothing wrong with the thread starter system, but you can do better.[/quote]

OK, I see your point. I buy these kits to install them. My customers have the expectation of a new product from a reputable manufacturer. My customers and I want to purchase a solar kit from a company that is going to back-up the product with a warranty and product support. I can’t call the guy on craigslist six weeks later if something goes wrong and get a replacement under warranty. And I can't call yoosmart, which is based in China, to get warranty support on their MPPT controller. But these very well could be good choices for someone doing their own install.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: solar panel Reply with quote

While I really like this kit http://www.sunwindproducts.com/Products/SolarandWindKits/80wattRVkitJuta1500.html I'm sure that it would be cheaper and available without the inverter.
If you poke around their site you'll find adjustable racking so that the panels can be raised or tilted to get maximum efficiency.
I like the idea of using higher voltage panels to minimize energy loss in transmission from panel to battery. Does anyone know if the construction of the higher voltage panels is appropriate for the rigours of traveling?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themervino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under $5. Should be part of the solar package but usually have to order separately. Sorta like selling a lock without the key.

http://www.ecrater.com/p/8341829/mc4-assembly-disassembly-tool-c onnector?gps=1
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, seems like a couple of you were about to jump on the Windynation 100 w kit. Any takers? Anything to report?

I haven't been looking for a long time, but the price for the 100w kit and free shipping is cheaper than you can get a 130w or 140w panel by itself. I'd rather have the larger watt panel to run my Truckfridge, but it would be a fairly big price jump, especially for those of us living in the boonies without a close source of panels to avoid shipping costs.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: solar panel Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
I like the idea of using higher voltage panels to minimize energy loss in transmission from panel to battery.

Wow. You guys must have big vans. Laughing Laughing

The solar dilemma: To park the van in the shade ----> but put the panel in the sun you need an extension cable. Its hard to knock 12v panels for a 12v van especially if it's hard-mounted on the top, which is a 'short wire'. Simple is good and convenient, cheaper.

Extension cord example: for a 100W panel, if you wanted a 30 foot "extension cord" to set the panel 30 feet away from the van (30 feet is probably minimum). Keep in mind that to get 30 feet you need 60 feet of cable.

12v system:

30feet away = 60 feet of wire 12v panel, 100W, 4% loss, need 5ga (1/4" diameter)
50feet away = 100 feet of wire 12v panel, 100W, 4% loss, need 3ga (3/8" diameter)
These are some FAT wires you'd have to buy and carry around, and keep in mind its a 'double' wire. But its SIMPLE, but you don't need a converter. You might be better off spending the money on simple (big) wire, than buying some no-name electronic box from china. Copper is heavy and expensive, aluminum wire may be better for carrying around. I did not look up the cost of wire but 3ga copper might cost $1.50 per foot that's $150 of wire. Consider to buy a bigger panel and accept some losses. Aluminum will be less.

Compare to 48v:

30 feet (=60), 48v panel, 100W, 4% loss, need 16ga (standard lamp cord)
50 feet (=100), 48v panel, 100W, 4% loss, need 14ga (heavier lamp cord)
For gathering sunlight on an extension cord, note that 48v makes it much easier to deal with the cable. But you have to buy and service the components and hassle and loss of going to 120v then converting back to 12v for the van. 48v and a bigger panel to cover the losses is not a bad way to go.

Another way:

Convert to 120vac out at the panel (12v or 48v) and send 120vac back to the van using a standard extension cord!

The bigger panel takes more effort to carry around but takes less babysitting (adjusting for sun angle) to get the amps you need. It's compelling when gathering sunlight to not waste ANY of it, but with the price of panels coming down, you can buy a bigger panel and waste "some".

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddler wrote:
So, seems like a couple of you were about to jump on the Windynation 100 w kit. Any takers? Anything to report?

I haven't been looking for a long time, but the price for the 100w kit and free shipping is cheaper than you can get a 130w or 140w panel by itself. I'd rather have the larger watt panel to run my Truckfridge, but it would be a fairly big price jump, especially for those of us living in the boonies without a close source of panels to avoid shipping costs.

I have recently installed this kit on my Westy and so far it is working great since you asked.
gwh611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinzanto wrote:
I have recently installed this kit on my Westy and so far it is working great since you asked.

Is the panel permanently mounted, or do you remove it while driving?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: