Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter Gas Gauge
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexandersarah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Zwitter Gas Gauge Reply with quote

I have a 53' Zwitter and I dont see a gas gauge or a hole to put one, anybody have an idea of how or where it should be? how do you keep track of gas usage? I'm about to start restoring this car and I want to keep it as original as possible.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1020712
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1020711
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no gauge.

There is a reserve valve located up front by your feet.

From
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/12_52bug.php

See # 16 here on page 5:

and also page 9:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alexandersarah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!

Thank you very much EverettB!!!! This information was right to the point, exatly what I needed. I just bought a Zwitter and Im trying to learn as much as I can, but is a little hard since is a limited vehicle. But once again, thank you.

V/R

Alex
Geothon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add one like this:

From http://www.oldbug.com/chinosplit.htm
alexandersarah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice job Geothon!!! The only problem is that I dont want to cut thru the metal. I went to the link you sent me and I have to give it to you. that car looks really nice. I got mine about 3 weeks ago and I havent seen it yet since im in Afghanistan and my car is in London. But soon we will be united, lol. Thanks and it is a good idea.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alexander!!!!
Your unit is based in Germany isn't it???? If so you need to hit Ludwigshafen or Manheim parts show in Germany when you get back from Afghanistan and look for a Gas Stick!!! *Gas Stabchen* that's the KOOL way to watch your gasoline with a vintage VW. Very Happy
(cost less than $150 for one, in Germany you can find them even cheaper!)

Dammm kool Zwitter you have there, I wouldn't cut anything up or add too many accessories, Zwitters stand out by there looks alone. Smile

Take care of yourself down there!

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a gauge mount such as these:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=327614

You'll have to cut your tank for a sender unit though - or just get a measuring stick as Tom mentioned.

Good luck,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Hey Alexander!!!!
Your unit is based in Germany isn't it???? If so you need to hit Ludwigshafen or Manheim parts show in Germany when you get back from Afghanistan and look for a Gas Stick!!! *Gas Stabchen* that's the KOOL way to watch your gasoline with a vintage VW. Very Happy

Dammm kool Zwitter you have there, I wouldn't cut anything up or add too many accessories, Zwitters stand out by there looks alone. Smile

Tom

...think he is talking about the "VETERAMA" in Mannheim Smile
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksfahrer wrote:
Blauchen L331 wrote:
Hey Alexander!!!!

Tom

...think he is talking about the "VETERAMA" in Mannheim Smile

Yep!!!!!! that's it Smile

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bally wrote:

You'll have to cut your tank for a sender unit though - or just get a measuring stick as Tom mentioned.

Good luck,

Dave

A 1953 VDO sending unit for Beetle mounts in the filler neck, doesn't require cutting the tank. They're hard to find, but they pop up occasionally. I found one attached to an Oval fuel tank in the classifieds, paid the seller the asking price of the tank and just had him send me the sending unit. Motometer sending units are similarly non-invasive, but you have to drill a hole in the tank next to the filler neck instead of through the filler neck itself. I sell both VDO and Motometer gauges in the classifieds.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
Andy Sparks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a round gauge that is fitted to the steering column, will post pictures tomorrow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstracy39 wrote:
bally wrote:

Good luck,

Dave

A 1953 VDO sending unit for Beetle mounts in the filler neck, doesn't require cutting the tank. They're hard to find, but they pop up occasionally. I found one attached to an Oval fuel tank in the classifieds, paid the seller the asking price of the tank and just had him send me the sending unit. Motometer sending units are similarly non-invasive, but you have to drill a hole in the tank next to the filler neck instead of through the filler neck itself. I sell both VDO and Motometer gauges in the classifieds.

Well I've learned something there - thanks Smile Now all I need to do is find myself one - I need the tank too for my 51 so hopefully I'll find a tank with sender unit in it.

I've already got a Beck gauge and Motometer column mount but I'll check out your classifieds - they sound interesting.

Cheers,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Gas Gauge Reply with quote

I now make repros of the filler neck mounted vdo sending units. They include a reprint of the original mid 1954 dated VW technical bulletin showing where to drill the hole in the filler neck on all VW gas tanks made up to that point, including even Barndoor Bus tanks. I have sold a couple units to Zwitter owners who have the 60mm filler neck fuel tank. The one issue when installing a sender in a Zwitter tank is, you will want to use a plastic funnel whenever you refuel, so as to avoid denting the tube that passes the wiring down to the circuit board, because the clearance is a bit tight with the sender mounted.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Gas Gauge Reply with quote

… that reserve lever is better than any gauge - when you are cruising along and your engine starts sputtering - starving for gas, just turn that lever and your good to keep going with about 1 gallon of fuel, to get you to the next filling station - that's an original and simple feature - you wanna' mess up the ultra simple look of your dash, with an ugly gauge? Keep it simple - nothing like LIVING IN THE MOMENT - a fuel-tap'll get you there.

… If you're too lazy to reach under there, you can remove the L lever and install a stalk extension lever, bringing it up to the dash height and just turn it to your desired position - you can turn it to off too - KEEP IT SIMPLE, bro.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter Gas Gauge Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
… that reserve lever is better than any gauge - when you are cruising along and your engine starts sputtering - starving for gas, just turn that lever and your good to keep going with about 1 gallon of fuel, to get you to the next filling station - that's an original and simple feature - you wanna' mess up the ultra simple look of your dash, with an ugly gauge? Keep it simple - nothing like LIVING IN THE MOMENT - a fuel-tap'll get you there.

… If you're too lazy to reach under there, you can remove the L lever and install a stalk extension lever, bringing it up to the dash height and just turn it to your desired position - you can turn it to off too - KEEP IT SIMPLE, bro.

Couldn't agree more!

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexandersarah wrote:
WOW!!!!

Thank you very much EverettB!!!! This information was right to the point, exatly what I needed. I just bought a Zwitter and Im trying to learn as much as I can, but is a little hard since is a limited vehicle. But once again, thank you.

V/R

Alex

@"alexandersarah"
This is another reason You're going to want to check this forum and stay tuned; Welcome to the "freaky split stepchild" [i.e. 6-mo. only Zwitter] status of owning a rarer-than-hens-teeth Volkswagen and great place to find both information about; and parts for your beloved Zwitter. Exclamation
And as I quickly learned myself; given the nature of todays' fuels...if it's been sitting any more than a couple weeks' time or has lots of miles under its belt.
In due time You're going to need a new diagram Number 16 (fuel valve) - and guess what; those too are Zwitter-specific (6mm line) versus the 8mm ones in dual dash splits... therefore even less numerous Exclamation Surprised
After the fan belt; that's the next thing to fail on my '52. Evil or Very Mad
And unlike other parts; this one STOPS you at a standstill until fixed. Exclamation
Arrow While trying a whole bunch of other taps; including barn door Type 2 ones; and multiple drainings of the tank - I was finally able to get it running again. Cool
Was that a PIA??...You bet it was Evil or Very Mad
Good thing My extra Zwitter fuel reserve valve is available. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2346586
You might want it to have in hand just in case. Idea
Not trying to 'self promote' or anything; more to help a VW bud out. Wink
Happy 'dubbing Arrow
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: