Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 liter FI into a 73. what do i need?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do agree that the tank should be swapped. the only problem is that it is half full of old gas, and i wonder what i would do with that 7 gallons Shocked ? i dont own the whole bus, and i can have the tank or whatever wiring it takes to make it work all for the same price, but if i dont take the tank i dont take the gas... i already have 4 gallons of old gas in my possession, and i dont want to be a gas collector. some have told me to mix it in to my lawn mower gas, but i have no lawn or mower!!!

also did you take the pipes out of the air vents when you swapped tanks? BTW, i am not too worried about the restriction issue, as i really doubt it would effect pressure and there is no way it would need that much flow. i figure at full throttle, an 1800 is making more power and using more gas... if i swap tanks it is because of the turbulence caused by teeing the return line, although it would solve the adaptor problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 72 was a frankenbus, 6 rib tranny with a 1700/1800 size bellhouse, with an unknown engine which turned out to be an 1800 with small valve heads that had been in it since around 89, what a mess!

Now its got a 2 litre and the correct Bellhouse and all is right with the world!

I think others have said it, do it right the 1st time!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
i do agree that the tank should be swapped. the only problem is that it is half full of old gas, and i wonder what i would do with that 7 gallons Shocked ? i dont own the whole bus, and i can have the tank or whatever wiring it takes to make it work all for the same price, but if i dont take the tank i dont take the gas... i already have 4 gallons of old gas in my possession, and i dont want to be a gas collector. some have told me to mix it in to my lawn mower gas, but i have no lawn or mower!!!

Just wait a bit and someone should steal it for you. At 4$ a gallon it shouldn't be a long wait. Wink
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thats not a bad idea, i will leave it at the curb tonite...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonAllenRizzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to revive this old thread to answer a question similar to the original post.

I have a 73 bay with a bad motor, and an 82 Vanagon has just come into my sights at a reasonable price. I could drive the Vanagon, but what I really want is my bay back on the road.

From what I have read so far, I need to swap the tin over and run the Vanagon exhaust, perhaps even swapping the flywheel over as well.

I am not sure it is will have the EFI set up or carbs, but if it has EFI I would like to leave it on. but then there is all the hassle about the return lines, fuel pump, and aircleaner.

But keeping the carbs wold be easier I am sure. Would my stock 1.7 carbs it the Vanagon heads?

What else am I missing?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonAllenRizzo wrote:
What else am I missing?

probably sleep. After you get a good night's sleep you will forget about going that path. Either fix your bay motor or find a core to fix. If you want the Vanagon for a daily driver, make sure it really works so you don't have a second dead vehicle. Use a cheap honda civic or something like that until you get your bay going again.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: 73 or 82 engine Reply with quote

According to your Signature line it looks like you already have an 82 westy.
and a bug.plus the 73

Spring is coming and you should have time to fix the engine for the 73.
and, yes the carbs would fit the 82 vanagon with the proper linkage
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped down to the long block, there isn't that much difference between a Bus Type 4 and a Vanagon Type 4. The exhaust ports are different and the breather is different, each can be adapted though. If you use the bellhousing off of the '82 then you can stick with the Vanagon clutch and flywheel. The fuel system off of a '73 should work well enough with the Vanagon engine, though you might consider using the Vanagon FI system.
JonAllenRizzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
JonAllenRizzo wrote:
What else am I missing?

probably sleep.

That's a good one and you are probably right.

old DKP driver wrote:
and a bug.plus the 73

That is true, My wife drives the 82 Westy daily, and I drive the bug, but dearly miss my bus.

I went to look at the other 82 and it is too nice to part out. The price is right so I am going back tomorrow to buy it. Perhaps then I will drive it for the summer and take my time rebuilding my 73's engine.

But I am still tempted by that smooth fuel injected type4 power...

I can get the same feeling with a nice rebuilt 1.7 I hope.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonAllenRizzo wrote:
SGKent wrote:
JonAllenRizzo wrote:
What else am I missing?

probably sleep.

That's a good one and you are probably right.

old DKP driver wrote:
and a bug.plus the 73

That is true, My wife drives the 82 Westy daily, and I drive the bug, but dearly miss my bus.

I went to look at the other 82 and it is too nice to part out. The price is right so I am going back tomorrow to buy it. Perhaps then I will drive it for the summer and take my time rebuilding my 73's engine.

But I am still tempted by that smooth fuel injected type4 power...

I can get the same feeling with a nice rebuilt 1.7 I hope.

yes - it will wind out a little more but the trans is geared for the engine. Sounds like a good plan.
larrydeville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: 2.0L swap...parts interchangeability Reply with quote

I have a 77 camper that came with a 1.7L in pieces parts. I noticed some common part numbers and found out...confirmed by Raby ent. you can convert a 1.7L to 2.0L. I would go to places like Bus depot site to see what part numbers were common with the vanagon for possible engine and clutch parts. Also I had to figure out which tin to use over and which to hunt for. I looked to the Vanagon as a possible donor where possible because the strict smog program in Ca. has made the Bay window rare in the junk yard. There is a chronology of steps to change 1.7 to 1.8...then to 2.0 and then to Vanagon. Knowing the changes helped me know where to look for parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: