Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The new solid state Voltage regulator by Bosch
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjvforme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: The new solid state Voltage regulator by Bosch Reply with quote

My Sister-in-laws 73 Super had a red gen light come on and she asked me to take a look at it. I looked at the the wires which appeared to be fine. Replaced the brushed as they looked worn down and still had the same problem. I had seen an advertisement for the new solid state voltage regulator from Bosch on CIP1 and decided to order it. Got it in, it was a direct replacement, mounting holes the same and the terminals were labeled exactly like the original. Started the car red light off after starting and put out 13.8V in idle. If your a purest and have to have an original equipment regulator then pass this by, but if you want an upgrade with out paying the price for an alternator with solid state components than this is the one for you.
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running my SS regulator for 3 years now and it holds right at 14.1 v at speed. Reliable so far...
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a regulator that goes under the back seat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really aren't that "new" anymore. I was working at a VW parts shop back around a dozen years ago when those regulators first started showing up. I decided I'd be a guinea pig as to if they were any good or not, and put one on my Baja bug. And it did fine - no more fluctuating voltage, longer brush life. The only two things I don't like about the solid state regulators is the fact that the whole top "cover" of it is D+, unregulated generator output, so you have to be careful to never let anything metal contact it when the engine is running or you'll get a short. The other thing is that they are kind of ugly compared to the originals, but that's only a concern where you mount it on the engine.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: