Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck"
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

This is my first post ever on Samba. I hope it will be a long thread. My name is Kurt I am 50 years old and live near San Francisco. My four year old son named him "Funky Truck" I have driven "Funky Truck" 200,000 miles for over 20 years. Who knows how many miles it has gone before I got him. I paid $600 for him back in the eighties. He only went in reverse so that is how I drove him home. It has had two engines in rotation, a used Berg 1776cc and the stock 1600 that he came with. At some point early on I changed to a '67 trans with 388 ring and pinion and front disk brakes from a '79 bus. That made the daily 40 mile commute all those years easy. Being a late '59 it has a tunnel type trans mount that made the swap easy. He has served me well in my carpentry work and it is time to restore his rusty old body to serve another fifty years.

I plan on detailing how I will do a dual treasure chest conversion.

This will be the first before picture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This has been my construction office. Time to upgrade!

I will be building a rotisserie Based on photos on this forum. The tubing is 2 inch square 1/8 thick. It cost $200 to have three 20 foot pieces bent to a 100 inch outside diameter. The third piece will be used to complete two circles as 20 foot was not long enough. The bender left straight sections at each end to be cut off.

Here is the machine used to roll the tubing.

Overhead crane to get them on my truck roof.

I am using a heat gun and carpenter chisel to remove many layers of Bondo

Bondo was 3" thick here.

Last edited by glideking on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: How I play football with my single cab Reply with quote

I will start by using a football to inflate the caved in nose skin.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty damn cool! It is kind of spooky when the nose starts to bulge outward. Thanks for sharing.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck&quo Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
He only went in reverse so that is how I drove him home.

Ha, nice!

Thanks for filming and posting that football trick video, I don't think anyone has done a video of the process. I'll add that to the Bus FAQ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ttullo1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing! Keep it up!
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: '59 or '60 Reply with quote

According to http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...highlight= Samba post my truck is a '60 model year. Should I change the title of my thread?

Some references give June '59. VIN #492610 Here is my dilemma. My brake and shifter are to the rear on the floor but steering column is a small hole not a slot. I need to know what replacement floor to order.

This is my floor.

This is a '59 or early replacement floor with slot and rearward shifter. I hope it is ok to link to others photos. I am still new here.

This is a replacement floor for '60 and later with small steering hole but forward shifter.

I am thrilled that we have such a choice in available replacement parts. If my truck is an odd in between year thing I would like to keep it that way. I could weld up the large slot or find a rare? steering hole plate. Will Klassic Fab supply an early floor with a small steering hole?
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes we will.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

we (klassicfab) make the funky green panels...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty cool when some of you guys own a bus over 30 years and still have the passion to fix it up. As far as the model year thing, if it was my truck, I'd call it a '59. Vw was supposed to be making model year designations around August, so the chart on your link seems that they contradicted themselves?? Either way, I guess personal preference-call it either one. As far as your floor, call Gerson at Klassicfab and tell him what you need, or send him a pic. (561)747-4800. He's cool, he'll get you the right one, even if it takes a while and has to have it made.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: '59 or '60 Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Some references give June '59. VIN #492610

492610 is early August, 1959 so yes, that is a 1960 model year Truck.

The front floor is not a 1960 model year change, it changed at:
VIN # 501707
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: progress today Reply with quote

Thank you all for the quick answers. I am happy to have a '60 model year truck as long as it is older than I am. I am impressed that Klassic Fab answered my question even before I asked! I will be placing an order when I complete my shopping list.

You know that feeling when you are taking your transporter apart this much? Will it ever go back together? Will I spend the time? The money? Is "Funky" worried that he is being scrapped? Dismantled for parts? Maybe he will feel better after he sees some "Funky Green" welded on. He has done so much work for me for so many years I feel I owe it to him.

My older son is learning to weld. He welded this brake drum puller for Funky. One drum came off but this one was stuck on with hardened grease all the way off. Splines are in good shape with some cleaning.

Yes that is a broom handle.

Not beautiful but it was low cost and works perfectly. It will go in the tool chest with honors!
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of this you'll have an entire tool box dedicated to "homemade" tools that aren't pretty but work great.

I wanna see this one finished all the way out just because of the story and how long you owned it.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool thread.

It is great to see a father and son project that gets the kid thinking outside of the box like that drum puller.... Wink

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck& Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thanks for filming and posting that football trick video, I don't think anyone has done a video of the process. I'll add that to the Bus FAQ.

Yes thank you for doing this.
Glad you have the passion to fix funky.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trailbash 2010 panel is an early '59, and was the same way, rearward shifter, but small hole around the column. The red bus pictured above is that panel, I just used the earlier replacement floor.

Central Jersey VW Society
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Welding Funky Circles Reply with quote

Thank you everyone who has contributed. Thank you for sharing your ideas, photos, encouragement, and enthusiasm. I hope I can contribute my little part to the easy to build rotisserie saga. Without this great community I would not be having so much fun.

Astro inspecting my invisible helper wearing only gloves.

I was taught to grind a little grove to be sure the weld goes all the way through.

Not too bad.

Give them a spin to see how they work.

Test fit. I think Funky feels special now.

Soon I will make a plate to bolt to the torsion housing to mount the ring.

Does everyone have this much fun doing this? Nobody talks about how much fun this is!
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding Funky Circles Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
Does everyone have this much fun doing this? Nobody talks about how much fun this is!

Cool pics and thanks for sharing. I can tell you it's FUN, but in a demented kind of way. LOL

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it is going thru a space tele portation station with those rings....

What was that space TV show series that would tele port people as they walk thru rings?

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
bugcollections
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: SC Reply with quote

Love the thread. Hard work on old busses is a passion. I have a 60 panel about 5 months newer than your SC. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That drum puller is brilliant Exclamation You should see the one I hacked together Embarassed
jeffreyned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had heard something about a "football trick", but not until after I had already attacked the nose of my bus and did surgery. I wish so fervently I had known that trick! Great work! And the rotisserie? I have seen pictures of many different kinds, but not the complete circle spinning deal you have going on. Cool

I'm bookmarking your thread and will follow with much interest. I'm still working away on my 67 single cab.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 81

Jump to: