Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown Hole
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlametopFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Indeed Reply with quote

Those sorts of factory-holes-that-have-lost-the-little-plastic-grommet are very useful for attaching bungey-cords when moving items. We were using ours for a camping-cargo-net to hold the skim board and umbrella, etc.

Every now and then I trek out to the autowreckers to fill up on all the little rubber hole-grommets, etc etc. All the little things that rattle loose over the years.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:
It's a hardpoint for the shoulder belt for the left middle seat. My '71 has them.

VW put seatbelt hardpoints on their buses for years before the seatbelts were mandated.

George

That's what I said and I was poo poo'd!

Grrr...

Razz

That's why I waited until someone else stuck their neck out! Smile

You can verify that it is a seat belt mount by the fact that the thread is 7/16" SAE fine. It's the only non-metric thread I know of on a bus.
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the only non-metric thread I know of on a bus.

you mean besides all the ones that the PO used the wrong screws for and just forced SAE screws in there... Evil or Very Mad

Laughing Laughing Laughing
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

77_Bus_Girl wrote:
Quote:
It's the only non-metric thread I know of on a bus.

you mean besides all the ones that the PO used the wrong screws for and just forced SAE screws in there... Evil or Very Mad

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I was thinking about the wood screws used in the GWB. That was scary!
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine has wood screws holding the headliner in. The headliner is wood, isn't it? Wink
Shocked
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(the lower hole)

I confirmed this, the 17 mm bolts for the shoulder seat belts work in this, thus you can put shoulder belts in both the middle and rear seats (atleast in my 71s).

I was able to do this on my deluxe (used spare shoulder belt from my parts bus), it's really cool to have shoulder belts back there - handy for anyone with kids that are too big for a full car seat but still too little and needs a booster seat.

Thanks for the original poster, I feel stupid for not ever noticing this or wondering about it.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad that you guys figured it out. Another mystery solved!

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chopper76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another mystery solved.

I'd wondered what that was in my 73 Westy as well.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Middle row 3 point shoulder seatbelts Reply with quote

Reviving this old thread... I have the holes but there are no nuts in there like there are in the ones for the third row seat. Is there any way to mount a middle row shoulder belt?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Middle row 3 point shoulder seatbelts Reply with quote

junichi wrote:
Reviving this old thread... I have the holes but there are no nuts in there like there are in the ones for the third row seat. Is there any way to mount a middle row shoulder belt?

Going from memory, but there might be more than one hole hidden under the fabric. Feel around.
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered what the hell that thing was. You guys are saying it's actually a standard metric size? When I measured that little plastic thing, it had a major diameter of 11mm, and I *think* a pitch of 1.25mm. Not standard hardware store fare, especially when the other seatbelt bolts are M10x1.0. Is this indeed the case - they made that specific hole 11x1.25? I've been trying to make use of these holes with little luck.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:
I've always wondered what the hell that thing was. You guys are saying it's actually a standard metric size? When I measured that little plastic thing, it had a major diameter of 11mm, and I *think* a pitch of 1.25mm. Not standard hardware store fare, especially when the other seatbelt bolts are M10x1.0. Is this indeed the case - they made that specific hole 11x1.25? I've been trying to make use of these holes with little luck.

there are no 10mmx1.0 seatbelt holes. They are all 7/16-20 or 11mmx1.25.

7/16in = 11.1125mm (.1125mm=<.004") and 20 tpi is equal to a thread every 1.27mm, so it is actually 11mmx1.25 since it is metric, but the difference between that and 7/16-20, it falls within the tolerance of manufacture of the bolt, except the head of course which is 17mm. -All seatbelt holes on any car that is legal in the US have to be that size - it is a law I think.
taylorb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in my 71 has a factory bolt a washer in it

76 STD Bug-Sold
71 Transporter Converted To Camper.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Middle row 3 point shoulder seatbelts Reply with quote

junichi wrote:

Not if it's a factory equipped Westfalia, there are ways to cut a slit in the pillar and slip in a backing plate for welding, check the splitty forum for seat belt mounting topics as most of those came without anchors.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: seatbelts Reply with quote

thanks, all.

there are 2 holes, neither threaded. the top one is smaller and the lower one appears to be for the seat belt. I was afraid it meant welding, but thanks for confirming. I will probably just concentrate on geting the rear bench up to snuff, since I don't have a middle seat anyway. I will need to redo the seatbelt anchor on one side, find a way to raise the anchor point (have seen the other threads but getting the parts seems impossible) and get some headrests mounted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: