Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm Bringin' Fasty Back.......Yeah! (many pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Were your rear panels individual pieces before? I'm just asking, as I thought they were supposed to be 1 big panel, with a cut out for the rear side armrest. Or just 1 big solid panel on each side in the rear (without an armrest). It looks like what you have, are for a Squareback. Shocked That's why I'm asking. They do look really good though. Very Happy

Evil or Very Mad Really? I didn't even look into it to be honest. I actually saved the rear panels from the car when I took it apart. It's been about 7 years since I seen them on the car though. I assumed they were correct. How could the PO have made Square panels work? I don't think there were extra panels laying about the car when I bought it.

I didn't quite understand how they would all fit but thought it would all make sense when I put them back together. Maybe one above and the other below the armrest?

Are the small panels definitely for a Square? Embarassed
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe your smaller panels will have issue you'll need to deal with. The rounded edge panels are your uppers. The other two fill in the lower portions of the rear area. If you have rear seatbelts, you may need to make an adjustment for the mounting hole. I'm not sure if a fastbacks rear seat back rest moves or is stationary but if it does move, that's be part fo that hole in the lower panel you'll have to make to mount the bracket. Again, I'm not a fastback guy and it would be best to get that info from them.

The area where you may encounter a challenge are the ends that face the door jam. My panels and others I've seen had some excess to wrap around the door jam lip so it could be secured and tied into the molding or trim. It ocvers part fo the inner bodt up to the door jam. Does that make sense? Not sure if I explained it correctly. If/when you mount it, you'll see what I mean about it.

Here's the ones I did for my square. Note the one side isn't glues down so it can wrap around the edge of the door jam.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still thing they look awesome. If the smaller pieces need to be reworked, Do you have some excess to re-fit them? Best thing to do is to test fit and cross fingers. Neutral
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19typethree67 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Were your rear panels individual pieces before? I'm just asking, as I thought they were supposed to be 1 big panel, with a cut out for the rear side armrest. Or just 1 big solid panel on each side in the rear (without an armrest). It looks like what you have, are for a Squareback. Shocked That's why I'm asking. They do look really good though. Very Happy

Evil or Very Mad Really? I didn't even look into it to be honest. I actually saved the rear panels from the car when I took it apart. It's been about 7 years since I seen them on the car though. I assumed they were correct. How could the PO have made Square panels work? I don't think there were extra panels laying about the car when I bought it.

I didn't quite understand how they would all fit but thought it would all make sense when I put them back together. Maybe one above and the other below the armrest?

Are the small panels definitely for a Square? Embarassed

How does your rear armrest attach? Is there a steel ledge that's spot welded to the sides of the body? Or is it more of a hump in that area? I'm just asking, as it'll help us work thru it. My wife's Fastback uses 2 large panels, and the armrests bolt to them, like in my 71 Notch. In my 65 Notch, I removed the spot welded ledge (I was missing an armrest), and used 2 large Fastback panels in it, that weren't cut out for the armrest. It was supposed to use 2 smaller panels like you had made up.
Bentley (either one) isn't much help either, as they only show the doors getting taken apart. You might try looking thru the Fastback gallery, to see IF you can find some better pics.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the area in the back along with an arm rest.

Looks like there are two ledges where it sits.

Think my panels will work?

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the looks of the top pic, should work. Looks like the material is covering the mouting holes but dont think that's a big deal. Same goes for the lower portion. If you see the vertical black trim on the left side of the pic, that was the trim I spoke of earlier that holds the excess in place to cover what the panel board won't cover. Thatls why I had a little hanging off one end. You may possibly have a little of that white area exposed. It doesn't look like the back rest folds forward either. Should be able to fold the lower seat forward and work the lower panel in. Only one way to find that out.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19typethree67 wrote:
Here is a pic of the area in the back along with an arm rest.

Looks like there are two ledges where it sits.

Think my panels will work?

Looks like they'll work to me.

I'm not really up on early Fastbacks, so that's why I asked about the armrests. By removing those 2 tabs, you can use the bigger 1 piece panel, or the later style panel with the armrest attached to it. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - Cool, good to hear they should work. Fingers crossed Laughing

Here are some more interior shots. Got the carpeting and headliner completed thanks to the help of the good folks here.

Headliner is not perfect but as good as I am looking for. What a pain in the ass that was though. Evil or Very Mad

I have the chrome vent levers and the decklid script getting re-chromed. Hope to be ready to go for the MI VW show in May.

Cheers,

Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' good!

Glad to see your updates. Keep it up.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19typethree67 wrote:

Headliner is not perfect but as good as I am looking for. What a pain in the ass that was though. Evil or Very Mad

That's why I cut the roof off my 71 Square, so I wouldn't have to install a headliner. Twisted Evil
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Lookin' good!

Glad to see your updates. Keep it up.

Thanks Brent. How is Japan treating you? I went to China for the first time a few weeks ago and had an interesting experience Shocked . It was for business so I didn't get to see all the famous sights but it was eye opening. I did get homesick pretty quick though..... especially for western cuisine Smile

Quote:
That's why I cut the roof off my 71 Square, so I wouldn't have to install a headliner.

Your crazy man Laughing I know the headliner sucks but I would think chopping the top off the car has got to be a lot of work. Shocked Unique for sho though!
ronbug73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: desh Reply with quote

looking good
did you restore the dashboard?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: desh Reply with quote

ronbug73 wrote:
looking good
did you restore the dashboard?

Nope, bought a new dash from Herman. See his thread here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479677&highlight=lhd+dash

They are harder and thinner than stock with a different grain pattern but they are a well executed re-pop. First rate quality at an amazing price really. Best new ones I've seen around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: