Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

led strip light in rear of van
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
yycwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: led strip light in rear of van Reply with quote

I want to install a 5 meter led strip light which will change colors with a remote control (see link below). The package comes with the 5 meters of rub lights and a ir remote and receiver which would plug into the end of the light strip.

My question is has anyone else done this and how did you provide power to the strip..Did you need any kind of power supply.

Cheers
Al
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-16ft-12V-150SMD-5050-RG...mp;vxp=mtr
Seajeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked for and picked up a 12V 4' RGB (waterproof) LED strip that I connected to a RGB RF controller. Since both devices run on 12v, I just connected it directly to my Westy stock camper light power feed (+12v, gnd). I cut a groove in the spice rack to run the cables. The RF controller fit nicely behind the spice rack. I added an on/off swtich and installed that in the wardrobe cabinet to control power to the system. When on, I can use the RF Controller for color changing, dimming, and on/off. It works well and I'm pretty happy how it turned out. I like that you can switch from white (bright) to red (nice night light) colored light.

-jeff
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those things would drive me crazy. Surprised
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459920&highlight=rgb
yycwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seajeff..so I assume you connected the ir receiver to the LED lights..how did you then connect the 12 volt from the voks to the led receiver

Al
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Those things would drive me crazy. Surprised
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459920&highlight=rgb

Seizure alert! That made my eyes twitch and I only looked at it for a second! Might be cool if they just stayed one colour! LOL

tam
ARMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with these lights. Lot of light, little power draw. And It really is pretty easy, just get light strips rated for 12v and wire them into existing light wires. Careful of what light color or brightness you get. I'm happy with the off white, more toward incandescent colored lights variety. You can even get fancy and add a remote with dimmer! (7$ on ebay) I think the dimmer is nearly necessary if adding this many lights. Or you could install potentiometers if you don't like the idea of loosing a remote...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAG0200 by Andr:ew, on Flickr

IMAG0199 by Andr:ew, on Flickr

Untitled by Andr:ew, on Flickr
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha,
Here's my post on installing the LED lighting in my camper. It's a great idea, I installed 2-5 meter strips,1 plain white and the other RGBW both with dimmers. Lighting makes a huge difference IMO instead of harsh white light a mellow blue at night really sets the chill. The other great thing is that the lighting is 360,nondirectional so no shadows while cooking etc. And being able to dim the lights it's a real improvement surprised more people haven't jumped on the idea. And did I mention that they draw less power that 1 regular incandescent bulb.
Cheers, Ron
Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy Please don't hate me cause I drive a Eurovan Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

[img]

[/img]
yycwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronsmith

That's exactly what I'm looking at..How did you wire into the 12volts system after the dimmer module..Was there wires coming out the end to connect to the 12volt

Cheers
Al
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yycwesty wrote:
Ronsmith

That's exactly what I'm looking at..How did you wire into the 12volts system after the dimmer module..Was there wires coming out the end to connect to the 12volt

Cheers
Al

Al,
I have a eurovan so slightly different. I spliced into the 12v wires running to the fluorescent light over the stove/sink area. Yes there are wires at the end which you splice into, pretty easy really.I bought the lights @ Amazon, there is a link on my original post.
Cheers, Ron

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Please don't hate me cause I drive a Eurovan Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: