Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Still can't get the power steering belt on!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Still can't get the power steering belt on! Reply with quote

Normally I am the kind of guy who has all of my van's maintenance done down at my Friendly Local Vanagon Shop, but recently I decided I'd like to learn how to do at least the basic stuff by myself so I can take care of some of it when I'm on the road.

Right now I'm replacing the power steering belt (BABY STEPS!) and I've got the Conti-SF AVX 10x1075 belt that GoWesty sells, and I've got a copy of the Bentley Repair Manual, but I cannot for the life of me find the section of the Bentley that tells me what the steps are for replacing this belt.

I can find places in the manual where it mentions the belt as part of the power steering pump (48.9), but it says it's a 9.5x1080 and there is nothing directly about replacing a power steering belt. Should I be calling it something else?

I found the instructions on Vanagonauts and that in conjunction with the diagram on 48.9 explains it pretty well, but I'd like to find where that section is in the Bentley since I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

http://www.vanagonauts.com/Belts,-Changing,-Tensioning215.htm

Last edited by berkeleyjack on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does the Bentley not have these instructions in it?
Is there a different, better manual I should have gotten for that kind of information? Is that information something that would have been in the original Owner's Manual?

From the way people talk about it I thought the Bentley was supposed to be the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink Vanagon repair manual...
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Power steering belt replacement + Bentley maual confusio Reply with quote

My Bentley PDF isn't on this laptop, so I can't check where in the manual it is.

The difference between 10x1075 and 9.5x1080 is half a mm on the width and 5mm on the length. Nada.

But it's dead straightforward. Find the pump. Slacken off the various bolts that hold the pump to it's mount, so that it can move. Rotate it towards the engine, so the belt goes slack.

Remove the belt. It's a bit looped round stuff, not least one of the bleeder hoses (you'll need to temporarily remove that).

Put the new belt on, and feed it round the pulleys. Rotate the pump back out as far as you can by hand. Now, with a big screwdriver or similar, lever the pump out and nip the bolt on the main pivot up. You're aiming for the belt to be tight enough not to slip, but not so tight as the bearings get chewed up. If you can turn the belt by hand 90deg in the middle of a length, you're good to go. Tighten the other belts up.

If you're doing the PS belt, you might as well do the alternator and water pump one at the same time, since you have to remove the PS belt to get to that. Same story, with the adjustment on the alternator. Just make sure it goes round the right groove on the crank pulley when you put it back on, and check the tension on the longest side.

If you've got AC, that's probably on another belt - I dunno for sure.
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeleyjack wrote:

Is there a different, better manual I should have gotten for that kind of information?

From the way people talk about it I thought the Bentley was supposed to be the everything-and-the-kitchen-sink Vanagon repair manual...

For inexperienced mechanics the Haynes manual can be helpful, it spells some procedures out better that the Bentley. Having both has proven helpful for me. Bentley assumes a certain knowledge base.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... Thanks for the advice, guys.

Surprised about the Bentley. The diagrams are helpful, but I kind of expected some troubleshooting information and a better index for $75! Kind of disappointed.

I think the PO must have just over- or under-tightened this belt which is what caused it to pop off. The other ones all look pretty new.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Vanagon Bentley is the worst Bentley I've seen, but it is what it is...
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I cannot get this belt to go on!

I've loosened the nut at the bottom of the pump as much as I can without the nut coming off, and I've loosened the bolt to the left (looking at the front of the pump) so that I can move the pump around, but even when I push it all the way to the left I still can't manage to get the belt on!

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to use a screwdriver to pry it on there or something?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance the pump is hitting up against the alternator and keeping it from moving that last little bit?

If no interference with anything I'd try putting a socket on the main pulley bolt and turning the engine over some to pull the belt onto the pulley. But be sure it is not too tight after you are done...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
NorCalbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the bracket with the elongated hole for adjustment - now loosen the bolt where it connects to the pump so it can rotate a bit.

1987 Westfalia Vanagon - "Clifford"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS pulley essentially has taller sides than the crank pulley so it's easier to put it the belt on the PS pulley first and then over the crank pulley. Look how deep the belt on the alternator is and you'll see what I mean.

A 5mm longer belt would be easier but I believe you can still get the one you have on.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the page from the Bentley that I'm using for reference.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've loosened the 35 Nm nut with the washers at the bottom of the front pump bracket as much as possible, and loosened the 20 Nm bolt in the slotted hole on the front pump bracket as much as possible too.

I can move the pump back and forth, but even when I push the pump inboard enough that it is pressing up against the pump mounting bracket I still can't get the belt on. Even tried prying it on there with a screwdriver for a while but stopped because I was worried I might damage the pulley.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
The PS pulley essentially has taller sides than the crank pulley so it's easier to put it the belt on the PS pulley first and then over the crank pulley. Look how deep the belt on the alternator is and you'll see what I mean.

Hadn't thought about that.
Lemmie give it a try.

HEY! THAT WORKED!! Very Happy Thanks for the suggestion!
I got it into my head that bigger wheel = harder and I never would have thought of that.

Everything seems to be in order now. No time for a joyride now, but I'll drag her out for a drive around town tomorrow to test it out.

Thanks guys! Very Happy
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would help if they sold you the right sized belt. I had the same issues, the belt they sell is fatter and shorter, which means it is a tighter fit. real pain in the arse to install. The correct belt goes on eitehr pulley first, and is a breeze to install, the short fat belt is not so easy.

the 10 X 1075 is not the same as the correct 9.5 x 1080. that is where the problem is.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
it would help if they sold you the right sized belt. I had the same issues, the belt they sell is fatter and shorter, which means it is a tighter fit. real pain in the arse to install. The correct belt goes on eitehr pulley first, and is a breeze to install, the short fat belt is not so easy.

the 10 X 1075 is not the same as the correct 9.5 x 1080. that is where the problem is.

10x1075 is the correct size that VW fitted the vans with. I don't know why the Bentley shows a slightly different size.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

10x1075 is the correct size that VW fitted the vans with. I don't know why the Bentley shows a slightly different size.

where you get that information?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
syncrodoka wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Van Cafe thinks so

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_324_234/power_steering_belt_10x1075.html

So does Bus Depot

http://www.busdepot.com/10x1075

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

A parts program. A slew of parts vendors worldwide also sell that belt.
Ironically my '91 owners manual specs out the 9.5x1080mm belt.
The difference is so minimal it doesn't really matter if you put it on correctly. 5mm is a ~3/16, not a game changer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: