Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Curtains in a tin top syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they include all snaps for just the curtains? if so do they sell extras with the screws so i can install them to the van? Also i would assume they include a whole set (windshield, rear window and all side glass?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Home Depot / Lowe's" Insulation held in place with rare earth magnets work very well. The price of the rare earth magnets adds up fast though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still curious about the bus depot curtains. Do they include snaps for just the curtains or the ones for the van itself also? And what kind of tool do i need to install them?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
Still curious about the bus depot curtains. Do they include snaps for just the curtains or the ones for the van itself also? And what kind of tool do i need to install them?

Maybe contact bus depot?
when I screwed mine into the van, I used regular male snaps and small sheet metal screws...drilled a guide hole first.

My experience from making four sets of DIY curtains.
1. Make curtains (hot wash/dry)
2. Screw male parts onto van (holding up curtains for rough alignment)
3. Carefully decide where you want the female snap to go on the curtain, doing one at a time to achieve the desired alignment and fit (slight stretch depending on material).

Better to first choose where you want to mount the male snaps than to be forced to put them somewhere because you already put the snaps into the curtain. Of course, if Bus Depot sells them with snaps already on then the alignment is pre-determined.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:

Their kits include the snaps and I would assume the studs for you to install. You need a Snap Tool
to put the snaps on the fabric.

Here's the tool in action putting a snap on my sliders screen door.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:

The Bus Depot kit will definitely come with the snaps for the curtains, but I don't think they come with the screw-in ones for the van. You can definitely buy those separate though.

They sell different versions for different vans. Mine is a Carat, so I have a curtain behind the front seats. Other versions have a curtain that goes across the front windshield & front side windows.

You need a snap kit, but you can get cheap ones at Home Depot that come with a few extra snaps.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Brass-Snap-Fastener-Kit-1265/100131057#.UTU-EBlD7u8

I think you can also just take the bottom portion of snaps from a regular snap kit set and use metal screws to attach them to your van, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by berkeleyjack on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snaps are probably already on the fabric. If not, you can also buy a simple tool to use with a hammer and block.

The male parts attach to the van with small screws. Just drill a small hole and screw them in.
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeleyjack wrote:
rustfree1967bug wrote:

The Bus Depot kit will definitely come with the snaps for the curtains, but I don't think they come with the screw-in ones for the van. You can definitely buy those separate though.

Their sets include all curtains (front, sides, back) for whatever model you have. Mine is a Carat, so I have a curtain behind the front seats, but most other versions have a curtain that goes across the front windshield & front side windows.

You need a snap kit, but you can get cheap ones at Home Depot that come with a few extra snaps.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Brass-Snap-Fastener-Kit-1265/100131057#.UTU-EBlD7u8

I think you can also just take the bottom portion of snaps from a regular snap kit set and use metal screws to attach them to your van, but don't quote me on that.

rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll eventually order the curtains from bus depot. And then buy a snap tool and some male snaps from somewhere. I wonder if most tool places would have the snap tool like the one pictured.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoAnne fabrics has them as well as the snaps. You can get nice SS snaps and studs from a local
canvas shop if you have one close by?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
"Home Depot / Lowe's" Insulation held in place with rare earth magnets work very well. The price of the rare earth magnets adds up fast though.

x2

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be *very* careful about your snap brands. They are not all created a like. There is nothing that will tick you off more than a snap that falls off a week (or month) later, leaving a bigger hole than you need to put a new snap on. Only fix then is to do an iron on patch, which if you do it right, doesn't show, but some how annoys me anyway.

I use "Prym" snaps, a German company. I also use the good quality ones from Sundrop Textiles. The applicator used to be the same as the one I had for Prym. I won't touch most other brands, even when I want the colour to match! LOL
http://www.sundroptextiles.com/

I do *not* use Dritz from Joann's. There are several other brands I won't use either, having had them fall off and ruin Jackets/Coats I've sewn over the years...

tam

Forgot to say what an impressive fantastic job you guys are all doing on these. I'm impressed!

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think new curtains come with the snaps already installed on the fabric (call BD and confirm). As said, you may need to buy just the snap studs to install in the van (if you have a boat store near you, they should have stainless versions).

tam_shops wrote:
I do *not* use Dritz from Joann's. There are several other brands I won't use either, having had them fall off and ruin Jackets/Coats I've sewn over the years...

I use Dritz on the products I sell; I also use the special pliers tool to install them. The only problem 2 customers (out of hundreds) have had is the material (thin vinyl) pulling out when unsnapping; that problem was solved by using a thicker vinyl square as a backing "plate" where the snap goes to give more "bite". I've also got Dritz snaps on my boat's seat covers, the van's rain fly and curtain tiebacks; not one has fallen out or torn out in the years they've been in use.

Those cheap-ass Walmart snaps, on the other hand... yeah, don't use those.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
I would think new curtains come with the snaps already installed on the fabric (call BD and confirm).

They BD sets don't come with the snaps installed.

The reason they don't come with the snaps already installed is because the placement of the snaps in the van can vary a bit. The kits are made with rough guideline marks lightly stamped into the fabric, but you should always have someone help you hold the curtains in place and mark the exact locations of the snaps screwed into the van so you can get a custom fit.

rustfree1967bug wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll eventually order the curtains from bus depot. And then buy a snap tool and some male snaps from somewhere. I wonder if most tool places would have the snap tool like the one pictured.

I just checked the spare parts from the BD curtain kit I bought, and it came with female snaps and male snaps with screws too, so you can install them even on a van that doesn't have curtain snaps already installed! They also come in a snap-close vinyl pouch for storage.

http://www.busdepot.com/232718

So really all you need is a snap tool and you're good to go. Everything else you need is included in the kit.
If you don't want to DIY measure cut and sew your own curtains, the BD kit is a damn good deal. It took me a while to bite because the price seemed a little steep, but I'm really glad I got them.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
I would think new curtains come with the snaps already installed on the fabric (call BD and confirm). As said, you may need to buy just the snap studs to install in the van (if you have a boat store near you, they should have stainless versions).

I use Dritz on the products I sell; I also use the special pliers tool to install them. The only problem 2 customers (out of hundreds) have had is the material (thin vinyl) pulling out when unsnapping; that problem was solved by using a thicker vinyl square as a backing "plate" where the snap goes to give more "bite". I've also got Dritz snaps on my boat's seat covers, the van's rain fly and curtain tiebacks; not one has fallen out or torn out in the years they've been in use.

Those cheap-ass Walmart snaps, on the other hand... yeah, don't use those.

I haven't used Dritz in years and years, went to Prym and stuck with them after a few mishaps. Have you been sewing for years too?

Did a google search to see if I was mixing them up w/ another brand, Prym/Dritz merged, or they're packing for each other now. http://www.dritz.com/brands/dritzhome/index.php Prym, used to be a German made snap, w/ instructions in German (only) at one point. Way back when Burda patterns came w/ no seem allowances, 90's.

Wonder who is making what, if they've changed, or I got a bad bunch (or even poorly made applicator)? Noticed you had the hand held one, which I have for my Prym snaps, but not the Dritz. Had a two piece *banging* tool to put them on. Similar to what Walmart package comes with.

I agree wouldn't use the Walmart ones either. Or any other no-name brand/cheap one. Though, now wonder if it's more about the applicator than the snap?

So, will add to your reminder about being careful about fabric choices (I've interfaced and/or put a patch in a spot before adding it to thin fabric w/ great success), to be careful about the applicator you use!

Has anyone tried *just* using black out for curtains? Plain and simple, but not too expensive...I can't wait to sleep in my camper, so I can decide if I need new curtains (how fun) or if I'll line them w/ black out, or even insulate them. A Great Notion, used to have this great fabric for insulating windows, but I don't see it now. That would have been before I had kids, so over 10 years ago now...
https://www.agreatnotion.com/sewing_supplies_onlin...Id=2000147

tam

Making it special:
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Black Out but double material to accomplish the same effect. Black material facing out Grey facing in.
With the BD window blankets, you need a light on in my westy to see during the daylight.
[/img]

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Not Black Out but double material to accomplish the same effect. Black material facing out Grey facing in.
With the BD window blankets, you need a light on in my westy to see during the daylight.
[/img]

Fantastic job! Great point about the black out, I've been wondering about that for window tinting too...

Which snaps did you use that snap right onto the factory original?

tam

Making it special:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeleyjack wrote:

The reason they don't come with the snaps already installed is because the placement of the snaps in the van can vary a bit. The kits are made with rough guideline marks lightly stamped into the fabric, but you should always have someone help you hold the curtains in place and mark the exact locations of the snaps screwed into the van so you can get a custom fit.

Ah, that makes sense.

tam_shops wrote:
Have you been sewing for years too?

My entire life. Wink

tam_shops wrote:
Noticed you had the hand held one, which I have for my Prym snaps, but not the Dritz. Had a two piece *banging* tool to put them on. Similar to what Walmart package comes with.

I agree wouldn't use the Walmart ones either. Or any other no-name brand/cheap one. Though, now wonder if it's more about the applicator than the snap?

Different snaps require different installation tools, even different brands, I presume. The Dritz tool is quite easy and quick to use on their snaps. The hammer tool is mainly for those who wish to save money; I highly recommend the pliers tool.

tam_shops wrote:
Has anyone tried *just* using black out for curtains?

A number of folks have simply added blackout/insulation fabric to their stock curtains (do a search for curtains). I simply doubled-up the fabric when I re-did mine; the new curtains aren't blackout as that's what the BD thermal window blankets are for (I wanted low-light rather than no-light).

tam_shops wrote:

The snaps to use in the van are these:

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Timwhy wrote:
[/img]

Fantastic job! Great point about the black out, I've been wondering about that for window tinting too...

tam

snaps from Walmart......................Sorry!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
berkeleyjack wrote:

Ah, that makes sense.

tam_shops wrote:
Have you been sewing for years too?

My entire life. Wink

tam_shops wrote:
Noticed you had the hand held one, which I have for my Prym snaps, but not the Dritz. Had a two piece *banging* tool to put them on. Similar to what Walmart package comes with.

Different snaps require different installation tools, even different brands, I presume. The Dritz tool is quite easy and quick to use on their snaps. The hammer tool is mainly for those who wish to save money; I highly recommend the pliers tool.

tam_shops wrote:
Has anyone tried *just* using black out for curtains?

A number of folks have simply added blackout/insulation fabric to their stock curtains (do a search for curtains). I simply doubled-up the fabric when I re-did mine; the new curtains aren't blackout as that's what the BD thermal window blankets are for (I wanted low-light rather than no-light).

tam_shops wrote:

The snaps to use in the van are these:

Me too! I've been sewing so long I don't remember when I started. Just that my mom used to cut buttons off things to get me to sit down and shut up! Now, I teach Textiles to grade 8-12's. One of the few of my kind left, most of the new Home Economics teachers don't know how to sew beyond the boxer shorts we're required to teach gd 8's...

I have different applicators for the different brands, keep them all in different containers. The picture you showed, isn't the package/type I hate. They're the *really* pretty ones w/ coloured plastic'ish tops. They look great, IF you can get them to stay on.

Now I see they have *these* plastic ones they started using on diapers a few years ago. I've never seen those here and I was at the Notion Supply store (that the stores shop for) in September, shopping for work.
http://www.joann.com/babyville-snaps-red-blue/zprd_11109030a/

Wonder if they'd work on something like our window screens? Though, I don't see the applicator, so that kind of makes or breaks a trial of anything new.

tam

Making it special:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: