Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Latched Don't Work?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gonebaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Door Latched Don't Work? Reply with quote

Anyone ever have problems with the latch catching? all 4 doors don't shut? anyone?
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to clean and lube the latches.

Brake cleaner then WD40, LPS or lithium spray will all work.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rotating latch part on the door has 2 positions. A half latch, and a full latch. Sometimes when messing with the latch they get into a half latch situation. Door won't shut and latch.

Try and roll the latch to the full latch position. Then pull the outside trigger and watch them roll to the unlatch position. Sometimes they need a little help. If they do need help it's time to clean and lubricate.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove mine once a year and clean and lube.
When I first bought mine I did not know how to unlock and lock the handles. Doh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slamming door syndrome, thanks kids! Battling this on the two rear doors myself. cleaned, lubed, adjusted, etc. grrrrrrrr!
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a extra right and left latch so they were always available clean for a swap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gonebaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after work im going to clean and lube them up I think like Semper Dad said they arent latching all the way. thanks guys...
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine work fine in the warmer weather and don't want to latch in the colder weather. I just chalk it up to the metal body expanding/contracting.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Mine work fine in the warmer weather and don't want to latch in the colder weather. I just chalk it up to the metal body expanding/contracting.

Or the grease , dirt and gunk being less viscous in cold weather. I used to have the same problem until I removed them and dropped them into an ultrasonic sink. Blew them dry, lubricated, and reinstalled them. No problems since. Just for the record though, It had looked like the PO had done a respray to the doors and left the latches in while doing it. Evil or Very Mad
gonebaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper what is a ultrasonic sink?

Semper_Dad wrote:
Joe 20 wrote:

Or the grease , dirt and gunk being less viscous in cold weather. I used to have the same problem until I removed them and dropped them into an ultrasonic sink. Blew them dry, lubricated, and reinstalled them. No problems since. Just for the record though, It had looked like the PO had done a respray to the doors and left the latches in while doing it. Evil or Very Mad
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonebaby wrote:

It's basically a parts cleaner with a build in vibrator.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html
gonebaby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome going to hf this weekend to pick up a sandblaster cabinet so Ill buy one of those too. Do they sell the powder? And i throw the whole door handle in it at a time? Rob

Semper_Dad wrote:
gonebaby wrote:

It's basically a parts cleaner with a build in vibrator.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper, mine are clean.
euromog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dipped mine in a bucket of carb cleaner over night. The old grease almost turns into a soft plastic it seems like. The carb cleaner gets into places you can't scrub. Then lube with something other than a WD40 like product that will actually stay and not evaporate. I use Wurth HHS2000.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
The rotating latch part on the door has 2 positions. A half latch, and a full latch. Sometimes when messing with the latch they get into a half latch situation. Door won't shut and latch.

Try and roll the latch to the full latch position. Then pull the outside trigger and watch them roll to the unlatch position. Sometimes they need a little help. If they do need help it's time to clean and lubricate.

The rear door on my Thing will not open and the rotating latch is in the closed position as it should however it will not release when the inside or outside door handle is used. Is there a trick to getting the latch to release to the half position. No amount of prying will get it to release and I want to avoid removing the hinges so l won't have chipped paint on the hinges and hinge screws.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Door Latched Don't Work? Reply with quote

Dumb question but is the door locked.

From memory I think it is opposite of a "normal" car-black knob up is locked and black knob pushed down is unlocked.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Door Latched Don't Work? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Dumb question but is the door locked.

From memory I think it is opposite of a "normal" car-black knob up is locked and black knob pushed down is unlocked.

I'm a new 73 thing owner and I didn't know the rear doors could be locked! Now where is the black knob? Someone have a pix?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Door Latched Don't Work? Reply with quote

The black knob is the handle one uses to open the door from the inside of the car.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Door Latched Don't Work? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: