Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston Wehabilitated: Prologue
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: End of Prologue: End of the Beginning Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

2)See if I can find instructions here for pulling and replacing the driver's side rear window without removing the closet... I seem to recall that it's possible.

Yes it is possible, I've done it four times. Very Happy

To remove, just cut off the old seal. Easy!

To install find someone with long thin arms (me) and set up two cords so they overlap at the middle of the rear SIDE (not top) of the glass. You can then start the gasket from the rear to the front. It is tight but can be done. (In order to remove the closet you have to drop the A/C unit in the overhead compartment and that for me was more of a PITA). YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vwcrewman wrote:
Do you have the JC Page and part # for that run channel ? Are you talking about the upright runner that goes in the back of the vent assembly ? I've been trying to find that part . I am in the glass Biz and have not been able to find that through my sources . Maybe I can get the Manufacture part out of the JC ad .

Stacy

Item# 18-4879. You can request a free sample(item#665557) to see for yourself if it will work.

My other thought was to just buy two of the GoWesty strips(the ones that go in the channel at the rear of the vent window that the door glass slides up and down in) and just glue them end to end and cut to length.
shizzon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the painting going to set you back? I've been pondering doing something similar for years!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Still Pending... Reply with quote

Well, nothing much has happened yet, not that I expected it to. It bothered me that I wasn't quite sure where the three replacement plastic sliding window guides I bought from Van Cafe were--two replacements, one spare in the event of 'oops.'

I've sent Kenny Shock the instructions dobryan and 70coupyel so thoughtfully have posted here, and I wanted to have them for when he pulls the one remaining sliding window and starts to rebuild it. Of course, I still need to get FNGRUVN's 1/4 fuzzy strips from Home Despot and the new rubber channels... There, maybe a thought...

I've bought a lot of vital little stuff from this place:

B-D Company
1360 S. Acoma St.
Denver, CO. 80223
303.744.1405 or 800.748.2244
http://www.b-dco.com/

Among the products they list are glass run channel (!) and glass felt strips, and they also sell trim components... Such as might be used on Winston's gutter trim. Doing you guys a favor I did myself one, I hadn't known they'd moved. Anyway, I can take either Winston's removed entire sliding window assembly down there and see what they'd have that would fit, or just remove a piece of the rubber channel and see what they've got comparable. I'll keep you all informed.

Anyway, it took me two hours to find the blessed things, which turned out to be in a nondescript brown paper bag under all the gunk I'd taken out of Winston.

Shocked

Not all bad, though. I found the replacement stickers I bought for Winston, which I'd forgotten I'd misplaced, and the receipts for the Sunbrella tent, which is under warranty, and TWO of the pointed ends for the gutter trim--I'd bought spares, but I think these are for the rear ends, which haven't fallen off. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I also found a leftover section of trim, I think from the gutters, that I can take to B-D if I want to buy something similar or better after Winston's painted. I also found my spare 'Hatch Latch' plastic cover and some little plugs I mistakenly bought from from GoWesty for the holes left when the previous owners removed the mudflap--which I have since replaced.

Still haven't ordered the new body and window seals--Les hasn't encouraged me to, I suppose I'm hoping or thinking that Kenny will find some of them perfectly all right, which is actively stupid of me, since the time to replace even usable ones is now. I paid Les $3,000 deposit, so the first shock of poverty has hit. This is but the beginning of a long and expensive road, but I trust Les and his charges have always been reasonable.

When this is all over, I'm going to get back to the project with which 1971BugGuy has been so incredibly helpful--recreating Winston's original 'Westfalia Werke' EXTERNAL build sticker, which is going to get bead-blasted off of him when they prep him for painting. He worked out a vector graphic EPS for the sticker, a font, and with that and the services of a local trophy shop I should be able to make a weatherproof plaque to glue onto Winston (or something) for that added touch of resto.

Shocked

I have no idea how far in the future THAT is. But it's good to do something besides worry... and worry... and worry. I sent Les the paint code, and discovered that our own Samba thread spells it 'Aswan Brown' and the external threads spell it 'Assuan Brown.' And, of course, the color is orange.

Shocked

I know my old CRT monitor isn't the best for transmitting colors, but I admit that this URL's portrayal of ASSUAN Brown makes me nervous:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.gti16v.com/vwcslh8b.htm#vwcslh8b

That ain't Winston's EXTERIOR, at least. But our own Samba 'Aswan Brown' paint code is the same, LH8B. I'm just looking for reasons to worry.

Shocked

And FINDING THEM!

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
You've got some ambitious plans there!

I'm new to the Vanagon portion of these forums and am watching your transformation with interest.
My plans are far less encompassing for visual enhancements. Fix some rust, paint the Pop Top and touch up minor dings around the body.
My focus is on mechanicals and interior for the next year or two.

I think my Beetle has sucked me dry of body repair enthusiasm for a bit, I'll retreat to my much more familiar mechanical work and recuperate.

I do cringe though and fear for you with the imminent "add ons" as you enter the "Discovery" phase of this project. All of these "should I....?" Decisions which are ONLY $50 or $100, when repeated multiple times add up to $1000's quickly!

Enjoy the journey, keep us updated.

BTW, my PO added an antenna and kept the original!? What is the story behind installing Right Side Antennas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To push you further down this slippery slope you're on, have you considered getting all the aluminum window frames anodized? Black would look good, I think.

I've got my sliders out right now and I plan on taking them down to one of the Denver area metal plating shops to get them anodized.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FNGRUVN wrote:
To push you further down this slippery slope you're on, have you considered getting all the aluminum window frames anodized? Black would look good, I think.

I've got my sliders out right now and I plan on taking them down to one of the Denver area metal plating shops to get them anodized.

I would love to see the outcome when back from being anodized. I
really dislike the silver finish they have now. Please keep
us posted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: