Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield or no-windshield in dune buggy with cage?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OR-Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Windshield or no-windshield in dune buggy with cage? Reply with quote

Since i made my roll cage and it has the front roll bar leaned back a bit, i was wondering if just putting lexan in the roll cage of the frame is a good idea as opposed to having the buggy window infront of the cage.

If lexan what thickness and can you have wipers work with out scratching them? I dont think i will ever use them but to stay legal.

Michael
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurboLark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plastic(lexan, plexi, etc) windshields are illegal most everywhere for street driving.
I'd use the standard buggy windshield, I think it looks better than a shhet of plastic screwed to the cage.
4vertical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plastic scratches veryeasily also. personally i hated mine. now have a glass one and am much happier!
OR-Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass sound better but i would need to have rounded areas where the tube is bent in the top corners. I used a 4.5" die and that is the center of the bend radius. Is it possible to have them custom cut the glass?

What kind of glass shop do i go to. Do Automotive shops have flat glass and make custom fit?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR-Buggy wrote:
What kind of glass shop do i go to. Do Automotive shops have flat glass and make custom fit?

i went to a non-auto glass shop. automotive glass shops usually carry pre-formed OEM glass. if you were in so cal i could recommend a place. Call every glass shop in your area or go around to all of them carrying your windshield frame. one of them will do it or tell you who can do it. and be sure to specify automotive safety glass.

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OR-Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i will have to make a cardboard template of the glass because otherwise i wil have to put the whole roll cage in the trunk of my Chevelle. Although the trunk is large it would scratch the paint.

So it looks like i will make a template.

Brad, were you able to get a pic of the window frame so i can see how you secured the glass to the frame?

thanks

Michael
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i forgot. i've left myself a reminder just now to get those pictures for you

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these were taken during construction. the bottom is a half piece of 1.5" tubing lined with rubber and the top mount is two pieces: the one on the windshield frame has a clearance hole, and the one on the car frame has a threaded hole

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

4vertical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hen i had mine done i took the car to the window shop. it was the regular lass shop for cars. they usually have flat glass in stock for things like jeeps truck caps and the like.

I let them do the cutting and templating that way if it was wrong they would have to eat the replacement cost. glass can only be cut once!

I am using the rubber gasket kit from bugpack. then i have about 12 screws through the perimeter to hold it from bouncing out. after many dune trips it is still holding strong.

My frame for the ws is actually the frame for the buggy. i have no seperate frame like brad:(
OR-Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad

i see ehat you are saying with the window frame. I think it will look a little better if the window is made into the cage frame of the buggy. Is there a reason why it is made so it can be taken off?

Thanks Brad

I think i will make it with the lip welded in but dont think i will have it disconnect and be able to take out. The reason i wanted to have the glass in the frame was to not have the side view of the buggy window then the front roll bar.

Still open to suggestions! Smile
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its made to be taken off so i'm street legal on the high way, and dont have to worry about breaking my windshield in the dirt. my uncle built his in and has broken two in 4 years

DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the ORS (Oregon Revised Statutes) in ch 800 et sec (fancy lawyer speak meaning in the 800 chapters). From memory, mind you, if the car is classified as a "hot rod", or something like that, you might find that you do not need a windshield. We don't have one on our sandrail and we licensed in Oregon (plates, insurance, the works). It was a bit of a fuss licensing it, but not too bad. Now, I have not tested the resolve of Oregon DMV on this issue as the sandrail lives in Mexico most of the time and have no plans on driving it on Oregon roadways (just Mexican roadways and it works great - even better in the dirt). You can search the Oregon Legislative website to find the motor vehicle equipment exemptions.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
OR-Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buggy is going to be my daily driver once the rain goes away in Oregon. VW's sip gas compaired to a 5.7 liter. Plus it is more fun to drive. The buggy is like a fiberglass milk crate compaired to my Chevy lead sled.

I dont plan on running without a window so making it able to take out i fine. I dont plan on relly jumping it, if any offroad it will be at the dunes at the Oregon coast.

If i get a thicker pice of glass it will be storener and less likely to break?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: