Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i suck at search. info on go westy 2.3
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muskrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: i suck at search. info on go westy 2.3 Reply with quote

i tried the search but apparently i'm not very good at it because i get every post with go or westy in it. nothing comes up for 2.3. any help would be appreciated.
i'm looking at a tin top with a go westy 2.3 and i wanted to get a bit more info on reliability or any issues they have.
thanks
-k-
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have about 6k on mine but it runs great.

The only problems I've had have been a leaking oil cooler o-ring (likely due to running it in single digit temps with 20-50 oil - per GoWesty's break in requirements) and a blown rear main seal. Read their site about rear mains, they acknowledge that they had a bad batch of them. Both issues were covered under warranty without any problems.

My mileage is pretty crappy (about 15 mpg), even for a Westy, but I think that is the fault of the auto trans.

All in all, I'm happy with it so far.
ZanaEvyPapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bit.ly/WkDrVY
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a GL 2wd with the 2.3. I purchased this 'totaled' van, 6K after the engine was installed (by GoWesty.) I forget what the remaining warranty was, but I contacted them and they assured me they would honor it under its new ownership. I used that van for about 15K miles. In that time, I had zero issues...not even lifter clack. It was (BY FAR) the strongest 2.1 I had ever driven. I merged into traffic as if it were a normal vehicle. It was a great around town hauler and mule, but I sold my house, which included property that housed my eleven vans, so it was sold along with most of the others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bhamham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZanaEvyPapa wrote:

That is so cool... didn't know you could do site specific stuff like that - thanks.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: i suck at search. info on go westy 2.3 Reply with quote

grknvgn wrote:
i tried the search but apparently i'm not very good at it because i get every post with go or westy in it. nothing comes up for 2.3. any help would be appreciated.
i'm looking at a tin top with a go westy 2.3 and i wanted to get a bit more info on reliability or any issues they have.
thanks
-k-

Try a forum search using 'gowesty' as one word and check off the 'title only' box. This will get you a bunch of gowesty threads some of which pertain to their many engine options....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ZanaEvyPapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhamham wrote:
ZanaEvyPapa wrote:

That is so cool... didn't know you could do site specific stuff like that - thanks.

Very Happy you are welcome.
It's a game changer. I will never use a site's own search anymore. Google just does such a better job indexing information than anyone else.

Another tip: Sometimes you need to add more specifics because a sitewide search might give you results from the bug and ghia forums for example. In the OP's case, "GoWesty" was enough to narrow it down to only Vanagon results. So, let's say you wanted info on the Vanagon brakes, you'll want to do: "site:thesamba.com vanagon brakes"
And let's say you do that and there's just a ton of results with Big Brakes getting in your way, then add a modifier of "-big" and it will subtract any results with "big" in it. There's a ton of other little things you can do. I like to use the search bar, but this page makes it easy: http://www.google.com/advanced_search

Last edited by ZanaEvyPapa on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: 2.3 Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Well GW put in a 2.3 and did all the rest of my van in 2006. Now 50,000 miles later not one problem. Yes the cat, coil, fuel pump, and muffler, went bad, but those are maintenance items. And batters ,tires, oil, filters, but I love my 2.3 ! But I also like my 2.0 ABA in my other van! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Westy with a GoWesty 2.3. It's got about 26k miles on the new motor. The motor is about the only thing that hasn't had a problem.

Last edited by gl98115 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
djs94124
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a GoWesty 2.3 installed in my 2WD, manual trans full camper in 2005. So far, after approx. 17K miles (I don't drive it much these days), I have had no problems related to the engine. Driveability has been great, able to merge with highway traffic without drama, and it takes mountain grades easier without the need for as much down-shifting.

Mileage has been a consistent 16-17 mpg no matter the conditions. Wish it were a little better in this area.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a GoWesty 2.3 and have had no problems with it. I got it when purchasing our van and it was just past the break-in period. I have now put about 12k miles on it. After doing some really custom things to my last van, I only wanted a WBX motor this time around. I would have also considered a Vanistan or Rocky Jennings motor if the van hadn't come equipped with the GoWesty 2.3, but I am super happy with it. The major upgrade I've done is add a Vanistan exhaust to really eek out every last bit of possible performance.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
The major upgrade I've done is add a Vanistan exhaust to really eek out every last bit of possible performance.

And just how noticeable is the resulting "eekage"?
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted my impressions of the eekage here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6140249&highlight=#6140249

Bill

SCM wrote:
wildenbeast wrote:
The major upgrade I've done is add a Vanistan exhaust to really eek out every last bit of possible performance.

And just how noticeable is the resulting "eekage"?

Muskrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the reply's and search schooling.
now on to the test drive.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have to use Premium fuel in the 2.3? For me, a cheapskate, I considered that and got the lowest price GW engine which has been great. I run Regular grade fuel but good oil.

Chuey
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
Don't you have to use Premium fuel in the 2.3? For me, a cheapskate, I considered that and got the lowest price GW engine which has been great. I run Regular grade fuel but good oil.

Chuey
No , only on the 2.4 and 2.5 this is why I wanted the 2.3 Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used regular unleaded on my 2.3 at elevations of sea level through 10,000' and never had a problem or deviation in performance, other than that caused by elevation. Sweet motor.
Miguel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: fuel Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
Chuey wrote:

Chuey

Oh, great! Now, I have to go to the link in the above post so I can learn about the eekage. Man, I hope I'm not sorry I got the smaller engine. Smile

At the same time, I had them put in a new radiator. I had gotten mine when GoWesty still worked on customer cars. I was having them do pretty much all my work and I was buying, piece by piece, all their mechanical upgrades.

Chuey
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: fuel Reply with quote

You don't have to use premium fuel in a 2.3 but I find you get much better fuel efficiency if you do put in premium fuel. The cost difference between low octane and premium is typically less than $2 per tank.

joseph928 wrote:
Chuey wrote:

Chuey

gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: fuel Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
You don't have to use premium fuel in a 2.3 but I find you get much better fuel efficiency if you do put in premium fuel.

That's surprising. How much difference?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: