Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Behr AC Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red wire with white tracer seems to supply +12 volts to the fuse box.

Also add....check out the red tek thread. Terry K has been so helpfull, all the info there would apply here. Clean the lines with air brake antifreeze.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
This makes the most sense from the length of the hoses that I pulled from the other van. Is there a reason why I shouldn't route it as instructed?
"Cut an opening in the floor grommet in the tunnel located under the heater box and insert the condensation drain tube. Route the tube behind the R.H. heater outlet and connect to the evaporator drain".

I am wondering why you would route the drain line over the radiator and fan? Thanks for all the responses.

Bill

rsxsr wrote:
I recall a "T" and an "L" fitting that connected the two and then drained out the cabin through a hose through the body.

I think that the instructions mean you connect a 90 degree fitting on the right side drain, a "T" fitting at the left side drain, and pass the drain hose through the same grommet that sorrounds the heater hose that goes through the firewall. From you pic, it looks like there would then be enough slope to drain the evaporator by gravity.

I did not see in your thread whether you are going to run R134A or Red Tek. I strongly suggest Red Tek to keep head pressures low and cooling performance up.

The yellow lines in the pic below show what I think the instructions are trying to tell you:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

uberhare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this in under 30 seconds through google:

http://www.qadas.com/~kanas/Vehicles/Syncro/Behr_Installation_Manual.doc

http://www.qadas.com/~kanas/Vehicles/Syncro/Behr_Parts_Manual.doc

I've got the same setup in my 84 Westy. Worked until last summer on R12. Time to fix it this year....

Jason
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help and comments. I have the drain line installed now as well as all the wiring, evaporator, and condensor. I still need to install the compressor and run the hoses (and 1 wire) up from the engine to the front of the van. I am starting to think more seriously on how to route the A/C vent louvers. I am looking at 3 options and would appreciate any input on why to go with one over the other.

Option 1, mount the behr a/c vent to the right of the stereo;

Option 2, mount round vents to both sides of the ashtray;

Option 3, mount the behr a/c vent in the stock stereo location and install a double din stereo / gps in the stock ashtray location. I have one of these in hand and it is the same width as a stereo receiver. I would need to cut out the bottom of it as well as the dash pad below it. I am just concerned that the double din would stick too far down and hit the heater box. If it didn't, this would be a great upgrade. Imagine it without the vent in the photo.

Any input on why one of these options might not work would be appreciated. I am leaning toward option 1 at the moment as it looks the most stock.

Bill
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like option 3 w/ radio in original location.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience, on a hot sunny day, you will need as much AC blowing directly on you as possible. We are using the factory side dash vents. You get decent air flow out the side vents, but not enough to cool the front area. It is the center vents that really do the cooling work. I don't have a behr unit, but opted to put two center vents in my radio slot. One for each passenger. The combination of the side and center vents makes it comfortable, but by no means an icebox. I am using a clarion radio with a remote head mounted to my headliner.
Center vents:

Stereo:

BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
Stereo:

Just curious how the stereo is anchored. I just have mental images of audio equipment missiles in the air in the event of a collision. Overhead installations brings them closer to where it might just hurt. Wink
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT, In an acccident, my wife, the dog and I will be burried by all our stuff. The hope is to not have an accident. The clarion stereo is from the Marine application. The peice in the picture is really just a display/controller. Less mass than a GPS. The actual unit with all the working parts is secured to the tunnel behind the center panel. The display is attached to the 30 year old wood headliner with two 5mm bolts and nuts. I think the mirror in front of it is more solidly mounted, but thank you for your concerns.

I could have mounted the display anywhere, but wanted it where I could see it while looking out the windshield but out of plain view. The stereo was an after thought. The factory stereo was removed during the AC install. I was actually looking at a SecretAudio Stereo, but it had mixed reviews. Clarion has been in the business for a long time and to hold up to a marine application made good sense for our vanagon. I was limited by the display cable length where I could mount the chassis and the head. I ran the cable up the p/s A-pillar along with new new speaker cable. Pretty tight fit.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
From experience, on a hot sunny day, you will need as much AC blowing directly on you as possible. We are using the factory side dash vents. You get decent air flow out the side vents, but not enough to cool the front area. It is the center vents that really do the cooling work. I don't have a behr unit, but opted to put two center vents in my radio slot. One for each passenger. The combination of the side and center vents makes it comfortable, but by no means an icebox. I am using a clarion radio with a remote head mounted to my headliner.
mages.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/845229.jpg[/img]

I agree with this assessment. My dealer installed Behr pumps a lot of air out of the centre vents directly onto the front seat passengers. For me, mounting the stereo on top of the dash was a small price to pay to have effective AC.

It turns out that having the radio higher up makes it easier to see and operate, too. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxr- Is your stereo the Clarion CMS1? Does it have a CD player?
Jake - Do you have any photos of your dash with the stereo installed on top?

Thanks for the input.

Bill
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would love to see pictures of creative ways to mount a stereo. My behr ac is also installed with the two center vents dedicated to ac. my van dosen't have a stereo, and we are trying to think of placed to mount one.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I believe it is the CMS1. Unfortunately for my wife, no CD player provision. She likes books on CD. I have to rip a audio book to a thumbdrive before we head out. The unit reads thumbdrives well. A little difficult to navigate subfolders though. Probably me.

It does have a dedicated iphone input as well as a dedicated Sirius/XM input. I have not used the iphone input, but did purchase the cable. I am using the Sirius input. It works well, the Sirius dock is mounted in the glovebox and you control it all through the Clarion head. I assume the same would be true for the iphone.

Another cool feature is it has built in weather band. When in range you can get up to date NOAA weather broadcasts. mark
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:

Thanks for the input.

Bill

I have pix of the JVC up top somewhere - I'll put one online when I get a chance.

The JVC CD Receiver that I have is a terrific unit and will play almost anything you throw at it with its disc reader, stereo mini plug input and two USB ports...
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:

Thanks for the input.

Bill

Here's a pic of my previous Eclipse CD Receiver mounted on the dash via the dealer installed radio/cassette holder and some homemade brackets. I originally moved it up there because the CD player wouldn't work at the extreme almost vertical angle that the cassette player was mounted at. The CD player's been up top for 6 or 7 years now with no apparent ill effects.

[img]
[/img]
www.thebassspa.com
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have completed my install and have been working out some small kinks. Everything seems in order now. In case others want some additional photos for their own install, I added mine to a Shutterfly website. This was a BIG project that I am happy is now done! You need to scroll down to the bottom of the page; http://billwildenberg.shutterfly.com/vwsyncroweekender

Bill
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Behr AC Thread Reply with quote

Link to Behr Manuals

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/behr_ac.php

Link to H Valve

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771723

Radio

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338774

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLOWoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Behr AC Thread Reply with quote

I am looking for the AC controller for a Behr in-dash AC system. I have attempted searches for this controller on the Samba and google without much luck, but my search skills seem to be lacking at times. It is listed as PN: 70 105 09 007 in the Behr part manual linked above. The actual part in my van has a PN: E 35-C01000-00 printed on it, which seems to come from an Alfa Romeo. I attempted to order from what ended up being a company in China, but all they sent was a fake pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses. Had to fight to get my money back. The small board in mine has burnt traces and seems to be stuck on full AC. Does anyone know of where I might be able to find one or is there another controller that will work?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Behr AC Thread Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264829200110

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Behr AC Thread Reply with quote

Hmm I'm checking what I need... everything. 🙄 including time and money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Behr AC Thread Reply with quote

Mr SLO

Are you looking for item in the dash that the knob hooks to and is part of the front wiring harness.
A picture or better description would be great.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: