Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The first 1/8" of throttle
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: The first 1/8" of throttle Reply with quote

long term problem that led to this: spark plugs foul within 25 miles. vast black clouds when you open the throttle. tried fussing with the jets to reduce this richness. stepped down to 117.5, from 127.5. no more vast black clouds. acquired and installed an Innovate 3844 MTX-L air fuel ratio meter. it says I have 12.5: AFR @ about 1/4 throttle and higher.

but it stops stone cold dead when I take my foot off the gas. If I take the throttle return spring off I can ease the throttle down to 1/8" off the cam plate and it runs fine. shut the throttle one tiny bit from 1/8" and it drops stops stone cold dead. no amount of diddledickery with the mixture screws changes anything. changing idle jet does not cure the problem.

spark plug tester shows big 3/8" arc, at least 20 KV, every time. static timed to 7.5 BTDC

the AFR goes up to 22.something when you close the throttle. so it's running lean - running out of gas, apparently - that last 1/8"

what should I be fiddling with to get that last 1/8" to work and put get to put my return spring back on?

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carb is clearly not feeding enough fuel at that throttle setting. You need to look at the idle and transfer circuits of the carb and find the problem.

Could also be a vac leak too.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion - include carb and other numbers in the post itself - didnt notice that in your signature initially - Would blow out your idle circuit passageways real well. Dont remember if there are any check balls in the idle circuit or not on a 34, but if there are, one sticking would do it as well.

Little bit of reading on a 34

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56411
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...

Last edited by andk5591 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one with a fast idle cam, so probably a factory solex of some form
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle fuel cut off solenoid not working or no power to it.
Also the 34pict3's idle is adjusted with the air bypass screw, not the stop screw and cam, that's for the cold fast idle setting.
What camshaft in this engine??

Last edited by SRP1 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the cutoff killed all fuel flow or does it just impact the idle circuit. Just curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I thought the cutoff killed all fuel flow or does it just impact the idle circuit. Just curious.

Just the idle circuit...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

car worked until I fixed it. carb is new, has less than a tank of gas run through it. cutoff solenoid clunks and bangs when you disconnect or reconnect it.

it has to be something I changed while making things better. I really don't want to go back to the 127.5 main jet and start all over.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
car worked until I fixed it. carb is new, has less than a tank of gas run through it. cutoff solenoid clunks and bangs when you disconnect or reconnect it.

it has to be something I changed while making things better. I really don't want to go back to the 127.5 main jet and start all over.

Either you shouldn't have fixed it, it you are still fixing it.
Retrace your steps.
Check for vacuum leaks.
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found several issues with one of those new stock Brosol 34 pict-3 carbs over 10 years ago, and I don't imagine the issues have improved any since that time! Dirt in float bowl and passages, and a tight fitting choke shaft were the 2 biggest issues I found, and the needle and seat ended up sticking after dirt found it's way inside. I had to manually step the fast idle cam mechanism down after warm up or the choke would stay on all the time too.

My neighbor (mentor) suggested that I take the carb apart and fix the issues or I'd be taking a chance with a potential engine fire. Shocked Once I did that, things were fine. The mechanic who sold me the carb mentioned (afterwards, of course) that he had occasional problems with them and would often check them over for loose screws and dirt in the passages.

Point is, assume nothing about your "new" carb. I used to think that new meant "just bolt it on and go", but I quickly learned otherwise, after a few setbacks in my teen years. Check everything twice if need be!

Also make sure you have vacuum lines hooked up correctly. Another lesson I learned the hard way by mixing up vacuum ports! Embarassed
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a quick and dirty for testing without the idle cutoff valve - may be a good idea for the OP. As in can you just remove it and jam in a vac cap for a quick test?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: