Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmission trouble in Bend Oregon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: transmission trouble in Bend Oregon Reply with quote

Van loaded headed to bend for skiing. About 90 miles north of bend when the transmission started to sound like a rock tumbler. With 275k on it I was hoping to drive really gently until cell phone coverage came back. I got another 5 miles when it felt like someone hit the drivetrain with a sledgehammer. BIG BAM then nothing.... we coasted to the side. Engine is being held back by the transmission and wont turn ovrr. The van rolls freely. Towed it to German transaxle. Used 90 of my AAA 100 mile tow.

They are closed. But I'll call on Monday and let them know about the van in their parking lot.

Ant thoughts, speculation or advice on what yo install?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. Manual or auto?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are expensive sounds

may have been prudent to stop immediately when the "rock tumbler" noise started
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, sounds like the trans might be a writeoff, but you are fortunate to be in the exact driveway I'd want to be.

Automatic or manual? The engine being held makes me think automatic. So it rolls freely with clutch in or out (assuming here its a manual)?

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual. Clutch pedal made no difference. Crying or Very sad
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, I hope you get it fixed quickly early next week. We're driving over Monday to Sunriver. I hope to see you and your van on the road in person by then. Keep us posted.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I envy you. When mine did the same thing I was up in the yukon, had to ship a tranny from german trans...at least you werent far from home, my trans from them has been flawless, youre in a good spot for that to happen. Youll be back on the road soon.
Good luck!
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBD time Very Happy ? Gear ratio changes Wink ? Or damn we didn't budget for this, just get it working again so we can get on with our vacation Rolling Eyes ?
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer Mark! Sorry to hear that. I hope the skiing is good at least...
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked under the van? Could be a loose cv that came off. Seen that before

Edit; never mind I did not fully read the original post.

Last edited by Syncrozilla on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that IS different. Even if the trans gears were welded together, pushing the clutch in would disengage the engine and allow it to start as normal.

So your problem will be simpler and in the bell housing, perhaps (vs destroyed trans gears). Perhaps, I say cause I haven't gotten my head fully round it. But what if the clutch or flywheel completely self destructed and jammed the engine to a stop and broke the main shaft coupling (cheap)? So then the engine (flywheel jammed) would not turn over, yet the wheels/axles/diff/ring gear would spin and let the van roll around. That would be cheaper and faster to fix, so I'll be fascinated to see how this plays out.

Or, the engine let go and the bang broke the main shaft coupling. Similar to above with starter unable to move the lunched engine, but the Van will roll with clutch in or out because the main shaft is no longer connected.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

Interesting thoughts.

The clutch has 25k miles on it and although I've owned the van for 5 years I have nothing to tell me the transmission is nothing but original. For as long as I can remember I will get the occasional 2nd gear crunch when cold. This tells me the syncro is worn. 1st gear will do similar on a much less frequent basis then the 2nd gear crunch. The CV joints are all brand new with less than 1k miles on the. The CV joints are good German put in by a reputable Portland shop.

Prior to the big bang, it shifted freely and sounded rough in each gear. 4th being the worst. Wonder if debris caused a tooth to chip and then continued to chip the leading tooth.

I just hope I can get some money for the core.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it won't be a chip and then more chips. Something substantially large came off something and stopped the whole mechanism with enough authority that it broke something major. The tip is that the engine/trans are locked together and that something is preventing one or the other from moving. If I were there, I'd get a wrench on the crank bolt and try rotating the engine backwards just out of curiousity. It stopped while rotating forward. I'd remove the starter if there is no little slit in the bell housing to see the flywheel edge or gear teeth to see if the flywheel is crooked, moving/not moving with the engine, etc. Reversing the torque may cause the jammed item to fall out of the way and then you could learn more with the wrench. But you're there and Daryl would probablyl prefer to touch it just as you brought it versus adding more variables by playing with it. Me, I'd play with it but that's cause I like to poke things with sticks and it's an irresistible life long pursuit....

DougM

PS - it's a 30mm bolt if I recall, but you need a spanner that's got an angled head at juuuuuuust the right angle to reach it if your original heat shields are in place. I never found a combination of sockets and ratchets that would reach it with those shields in place.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
TBD time Very Happy ? Gear ratio changes Wink ? Or damn we didn't budget for this, just get it working again so we can get on with our vacation Rolling Eyes ?

Sorry about your troubles. If it is the tranny that destructed I'd take it as a sign that you should now get a TBD. I love ours.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: