Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor advice needed
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Distributor advice needed Reply with quote

I'm currently running an 009 with a 34 PICT3 on a 71 AE 1600.

Ran across a 205Q DVDA which is the correct stock distributor for my bus and was having it rebuilt but have hit a snag. It is apparently missing an advance spring. The guy doing the rebuild says he could swap in a spring or even the whole adv mechanism out of a similar model. Is this a good idea?

I want to have either the correct DVDA or an SVDA as my primary distributor and keep the 009 as a backup. Was going to go for the SVDA 034 before I ran across the 205Q. Any advice is appreciated.

Resto thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549162

"Take your most realistic time frame and dollar amount.. then add half of that amount. When you get that total... double it. Only then will you be in the ballpark." - sofaking
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait for one that works. Keep the can if both sides are good. If it is missing a spring it has been apart before. There is no way he can match the curve it came with. Save the old one for parts. I like the idea of using the parts that it was designed with if you can find ones that all work. My old 1971 with the DVDA ran like a charm when it was tuned right. You can use the 009 until you find one.
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like solid advice, thanks.

"Take your most realistic time frame and dollar amount.. then add half of that amount. When you get that total... double it. Only then will you be in the ballpark." - sofaking
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some research in the distributor list on Oldvolks, some auto Cali bug distributors have very similar mechanical advance curves, with your vacuum can it is possible to build yourself a frankenstien facsimile.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BD. Looks like both 205D and 205AH have the same mech advance curve data listed as the 205Q. Does that mean the adv mechanisms interchange?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone like Glenn would have better knowledge of that but IMO it's much closer than many of the other curves, like I said....frankendistributor that's really close Smile

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncstagger wrote:
Thanks BD. Looks like both 205D and 205AH have the same mech advance curve data listed as the 205Q. Does that mean the adv mechanisms interchange?

I have swapped parts between many Bosch distributors, they will typically interchange. You want to limit the amount of mechanical advance, no more the 20° is usually all you want.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: