Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual Carb Rebuild Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Dual Carb Rebuild Question Reply with quote

Was cleaning shop this weekend, a task Ive needed to do a long time. Sorting and box parts, etc. Found these. Didnt know I even had them. How do I know if they are rebuildable? Everything moves and feels good, not loose, etc. What parts other than the linkage is missing? What all else would I need to use them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sre you asking what is involved in rebuilding a carb? Have you ever done one before? Do you have any manuals like Bentley to study?
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, I understand that part. I more meant, what distinguishes a carb you can rebuild vs one thats junk. And what parts are missing from this pic?

Edit: I had a progressive on my Bug in HS, I rebuilt it, and one on my Grand Wagoneer. Those are the only ones.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
No no, I understand that part. I more meant, what distinguishes a carb you can rebuild vs one thats junk. And what parts are missing from this pic?

Edit: I had a progressive on my Bug in HS, I rebuilt it, and one on my Grand Wagoneer. Those are the only ones.

the opinion of the person rebuilding it when they inspect it for wear.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are certainly missing the bar that connects them, plus I think there is an air or vaccum tube (hard pipe, not rubber) that also connects them.

O'Reilly's auto parts had a rebuild kit available when I checked three months ago for mine. Note that there is a Left and Right carburetor in this application.

Shaft seals become loose, and might need reseating/machining. I once tamped lead into the pocket around a brass/stainless steel shaft seal. It worked for years, but that's not the right way to do it. Other than that, you'll need to open them up and look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:

Clean them up and stick them on any Type 4 engine test mule. They are great carbs when running correctly.

The places you look for trouble are mostly mis-matched jets, intermittent cut-off solenoids due to bent terminal spades, some knucklehead may have CUT OFF the plunger in the central idling circuit's cut-off solenoid, the threads for the cut-offs get wallowed and stripped, the choke assemblies sometimes get sloppy, the fast idle links get worn, and the unloaders get loose. Accelerator pump levers occasionally wallow out the levers that actuate them. Throttle bushings are not the big-bugaboo some claim, that central idling circuit can do an excellent compensation for throttle bushing wear.

Got a Type 4 engine guinea pig available August 16th?
Colin
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Clean them up and stick them on any Type 4 engine test mule. They are great carbs when running correctly.

The places you look for trouble are mostly mis-matched jets, intermittent cut-off solenoids due to bent terminal spades, some knucklehead may have CUT OFF the plunger in the central idling circuit's cut-off solenoid, the threads for the cut-offs get wallowed and stripped, the choke assemblies sometimes get sloppy, the fast idle links get worn, and the unloaders get loose. Accelerator pump levers occasionally wallow out the levers that actuate them. Throttle bushings are not the big-bugaboo some claim, that central idling circuit can do an excellent compensation for throttle bushing wear.

Got a Type 4 engine guinea pig available August 16th?
Colin

This is what I was looking for. Yes I do matter of fact. You coming back to my neck of the woods? I could use a full day on two buses. Very Happy

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: