Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dreaded fuse panel issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Dreaded fuse panel issue Reply with quote

I've got a problem here. I decided to go install the intermittent wiper relay, it's just plug and play, what could go wrong? Put it back together,now the van won't start. First time I turned the key the engine turned part way then stopped. When I turn the key, part way, I can hear the fuel pump come on. But when turned all the way nothing.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
'85 Wolfsburg Edition Westfalia Weekender, Zetec #36, w/ Peloquin TBD
'83.5 Westfalia, full camper (we'll never forget you)
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the fuse box again and check to see the red wires are plugged into the left side of it.
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check first thing in the morning.
BoneMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this seemed like a ho-hum topic, but I learned a valuable lesson, maybe a couple. First, I didn't screw up anything when I dropped the fuse panel. That wasn't the problem. After some trouble shooting it turned out to be a dead, or better put, non-functioning starter. I ordered a GW high torque. Story over, right? Nope.
While trying to figure this out, I spoke with my friends at the local repair shop. They showed up here yesterday, while I wasn't around and tried to roll it down my long hill of a driveway and pop the clutch. The rear wheels wouldn't turn, they were locked up laying down some rubber.. He depressed the clutch and rolled to the bottom of the hill. He turned the key and the van started right up!
He noticed that I had the battery charger on the front seat ( something has created a slow parasitic draw, so I'd topped it off). What had happened was the battery was low when I'd tried to start the van. The starter had enough juice to throw, but not enough to crank it over. In the process it jammed. What he did got it unjammed and now it's working fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: