Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the U.S. market ready for Brazilian 15W Kombi's
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working and rebuilding VW's for 30 years and have done enough to say that the steel/weld quality is comparable to the German ones. I saw 6 models up close with a magnet and could find no bondo fills or weld cracks. The rubber issues are for real, they all had new kits with them, but not installed. I have had the displeasure of working with these fat rubber kits, they eventually go in after a fight. I am getting up to date on the current importation laws and trying to get a handle on the total cost of getting them to Houston. Paperwork wise (from what I can understand) as long as the country of origin provides title/and or registration the vehicle can be "un-titled" and then retitled directly in the state of operation (requirements will vary). Only having a vin and no paperwork will prevent the vehicle from leaving customs, this is probably why they are not here (yet). Considering the price of a decent German 15W and the scarcity, a Brazilian 15W may be just the ticket for a new owner wanting one to drive and enjoy. They certainly will not compete with museum quality examples. I am considering one for myself.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eff that! high hinge bay window 12 windows are where it's at.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you got barndoor, late bus and bay and rolled into one. real crowd pleaser!

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by UZI on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
eff that! high hinge bay window 12 windows are where it's at.
you got barndoor, late bus and bay and rolled into one. real crowd pleaser!

if it wasn't for the tail lights.... it's not a split, but the mixture of features is "effing" awesome Smile

my 68 bay westy was great, but the sliding door! can't get out to pee without waking up the empire campground, twice!

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12W would get a chilly reception..That is a strange mix of parts. But now that I think of it, once the Brazilian scene gets rollin' those may be considered cool. People came to love Vanagon's so anything is possible. O.K. next question: What would a clean running 15W Brazlian bring in the U.S.??15K and up is my guess.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny that I had to look up the word "shill" in the urban directory after reading the wines thread....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a box with four wheels and a VW motor, I like it. Brubaker, Braillian, Mexican or Whatevers...

I never met a Bus I didn't like.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yes! Do it! Wink
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 74 brasilian 15 window, it was solid and had no issues. I liked it and would own another if the opportunity came around.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: