Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1679, 1680, 1681 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that chrome costs $$$.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$30K ... I think it might be worth a little more but nowhere near $95K.

That chrome shifter must suck in the summer.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could buy a DC project , pay full retail through a shop to have it restored for less than 95K. Don't people think of that when they sell stuff.

A lot of sellers use the "you couldn't restore it for my asking price" and in a lot of cases...it makes sense. And people still think said bus is overpriced.
ccb_dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken the owner of that DC passed away...could be the family is selling it to cover outstanding bills? I thought I heard that in the local surfing community here. I did not know him though.
jeffff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccb_dan wrote:
If I'm not mistaken the owner of that DC passed away...could be the family is selling it to cover outstanding bills? I thought I heard that in the local surfing community here. I did not know him though.

Sad my condolences....now I feel like an asshole.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffff wrote:
ccb_dan wrote:

Sad my condolences....now I feel like an asshole.

why? its still priced at more than double market. not to mention the Hawaii-Florida provenance is not especially good when you think about those being two of the rustiest climates in the USA.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no such thing as market value...........only those who believe in it,as with any old car or antique there are too many variables to warrant any kind of market value..........as always dreams are free
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
there is no such thing as market value...........only those who believe in it,as with any old car or antique there are too many variables to warrant any kind of market value..........as always dreams are free

So then, what guide do you use to set your asking prices?
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do use the asking prices of others as a guide for some parts,other parts are too rare to put like to like..............like a nice original part might be worth well more than the same part in primer..........but there are too many variables there as well

i find the whines thread humorous at best in determining the "market value" of anything..................mostly because none of the dipshits who have the time to whine seem to have the money to actually buy.............time is free,do with it what you will
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody said anything about using the whines to determine market value, only that some vehicles that make it in here are above market value. The classified section on this sight, ebay sales, and word of mouth are major determiners of market value. Do you really think Lind doesn't know how to research and determine the value of a double cab?

Your elitism is really amazing.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is especially easy to see what stuff doesn't sell for.
even very rare parts find their bus in well less than a year if they are priced anywhere near right.
buses find their new owner just the same if they are priced anywhere near right.

waiting for a rich drunk blind car enthusiast to buy crap can be quite futile.
most sellers are much more serious about actually selling....

the real market is made up of sales not fantasy asks that don't sell.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
i do use the asking prices of others as a guide for some parts,other parts are too rare to put like to like..............like a nice original part might be worth well more than the same part in primer..........but there are too many variables there as well

i find the whines thread humorous at best in determining the "market value" of anything..................mostly because none of the dipshits who have the time to whine seem to have the money to actually buy.............time is free,do with it what you will

those dipshits may have input as to the actual value of something because perhaps they sold a similar item. i certainly don't have the cash to spend on a $125 heat tube connector.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I dont have input on this since Im kind of a baby seller at this point....but heres the way I see it.
I kind of see the market on this site as layers....the first layer you see when you get on here (usually the ones that make the whine thread) is the out-of-this-world dream prices...the ones were some individual is trying to get top top dollar for some below average part because some other guy sold it for 100 I should be able to get 200. These items usually set the prices for other get-rich people, its a vicious cycle.
Then you have the next layer, the guys, usually veterans of the bus scene, selling things at just under or right at realistic value. These are the guys that, if you just talk to them, will work with you on the price if they can help you complete your bus. I love these types of sellers, the kind were you walk away from the sale with a new friend....
Then you have the last layer, these are sales that you dont see, the ones going on right under the surface....when someone posts on some forum they need (X) part, then one individual sees that need, messages that guy and offers the part at a normal down-to-earth price to help "a brotha out". I have had the pleasure of many of these types of sales and this is the type of sale that makes thesamba such an amazing place.
Once you get into this circle and you get to know how things work, it isnt so bad and you learn the out of this world prices are there and will always be there but things can still be obtained for normal prices if you just work for it and run into the right people.
Feel free to correct me if you want, this is just how Ive experienced it.

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
I know I dont have input on this since Im kind of a baby seller at this point....but heres the way I see it.
I kind of see the market on this site as layers....the first layer you see when you get on here (usually the ones that make the whine thread) is the out-of-this-world dream prices...the ones were some individual is trying to get top top dollar for some below average part because some other guy sold it for 100 I should be able to get 200. These items usually set the prices for other get-rich people, its a vicious cycle.
Then you have the next layer, the guys, usually veterans of the bus scene, selling things at just under or right at realistic value. These are the guys that, if you just talk to them, will work with you on the price if they can help you complete your bus. I love these types of sellers, the kind were you walk away from the sale with a new friend....
Then you have the last layer, these are sales that you dont see, the ones going on right under the surface....when someone posts on some forum they need (X) part, then one individual sees that need, messages that guy and offers the part at a normal down-to-earth price to help "a brotha out". I have had the pleasure of many of these types of sales and this is the type of sale that makes thesamba such an amazing place.
Once you get into this circle and you get to know how things work, it isnt so bad and you learn the out of this world prices are there and will always be there but things can still be obtained for normal prices if you just work for it and run into the right people.

No Chris, for the most part you are right, and there is more to be expanded upon that. Buddy deals happen, and WTB ads do work.

Sometime you need something, and you will pay to get it. I needed a DC pop out latch. I think it's rediculous to pay $200 for a freakin latch, but I needed it, made an offer and the sellar and I came to an agreement. It's a nice latch, the chrome is nice, just a couple little pits, the knobs are nice and move, and the spring is still good. Had I time to shop around, go to swap meets, I probably could have got a better price, but probably not a nicer latch...
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
tacochris wrote:

No Chris, for the most part you are right, and there is more to be expanded upon that. Buddy deals happen, and WTB ads do work.

Sometime you need something, and you will pay to get it. I needed a DC pop out latch. I think it's rediculous to pay $200 for a freakin latch, but I needed it, made an offer and the sellar and I came to an agreement. It's a nice latch, the chrome is nice, just a couple little pits, the knobs are nice and move, and the spring is still good. Had I time to shop around, go to swap meets, I probably could have got a better price, but probably not a nicer latch...

Yea Erik, I kinda paraphrased the layers for the most part, didnt really touch on the sub-levels so much. Im sure anyone that owns anything 1967 knows how the (this is the only guy that has it and I need it so he asks what he wants and I have to pay it) deals go. I find this rings true when trying to find good original paint (patina) body panels....not everyone will have that perfect patina'd sealing wax hatch, so you pay what you have to pay to get that "special" part.

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G; do you trade stocks? What you described is basically how the market works. What most 'retail' stock buyers don't understand is the multiple 'layers' that actually make up the simple bid/ask system.

The samba basically facilitates the same layering... but only one guy gets access to Level 2 Quotes Smile
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
hugheseum wrote:

So then, what guide do you use to set your asking prices?

Dreams.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Erik G; do you trade stocks? What you described is basically how the market works. What most 'retail' stock buyers don't understand is the multiple 'layers' that actually make up the simple bid/ask system.

The samba basically facilitates the same layering... but only one guy gets access to Level 2 Quotes Smile

Were you talking to me or Erik?

dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
dawerks wrote:

Sorry! I was talking to you tacochris, quoted the wrong person. Embarassed
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
tacochris wrote:
dawerks wrote:

Sorry! I was talking to you tacochris, quoted the wrong person. Embarassed

haha no worries man: Nah I dont mess with stocks other than my 401K, Im a financial crimes investigator for a local financial institution and find myself to be a very analytical person when it comes to the "layers" of how life works......Its kind of like an ant farm, on the surface it looks like a mound of dirt with a couple of ants, but under the surface is where the REAL magic happens.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1679, 1680, 1681 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 1680 of 2710

Jump to: