Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

On Demand water heater
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: On Demand water heater Reply with quote

Anybody using one of these? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/eccotemp-portable-tankless-water-heater/37786
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good info in these threads - not EccoTemp specific, but the search tool occasionally works Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=526171&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EccoTemp products are pretty good, but you need city water or a really strong 12V pump to run them. If you always stay in campgrounds with power and water hookups, this shouldn't be a problem, but that type of campground usually has shower houses available as well.

For hot water on demand without city water, check out the Zodi products at http://www.zodi.com. They make a range of propane water heaters that use a small pump powered by four D-Cell batteries. You can often find basic units on sale for $100.00 or less. I picked up a single burner #6185 model for $89.00 shipped a couple years back and it works well for showering and washing dishes.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
The EccoTemp products are pretty good, but you need city water or a really strong 12V pump to run them.

I always wondered what would be the right amount of pressure to operate one of these? I believe they say like 3 GPM???
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

Judging by the specs I thought the OE pump would be sufficient, no?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From www.eccotemp.com:

"The ideal operating range for the Eccotemp L5 portable tankless water heater is 20~80 PSI. The system also works great on modified water systems such as a 12 volt pump. The L5 will offer a 30 to 35 degree rise at 1.3 gallons per minute."

Figuring out how to get 20PSI plus with a 12V pump at the proper flow rate could be kinda tricky when you factor in restriction from the shower head and pump head pressure from water source etc. I would probably try to shoot for the low end of the flow range to allow for enough heat exchange time to get water output around 110-120F.

I don't think the OE pump would even come close to what you would need. Maybe an email to EccoTemp would yield some pump recommendations.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a hot-water heater like this, a Paloma brand, in our sailboat, for heating the water in the head (bathroom) for a shower and the handbasin.

It used a 12V Jabsco pump. The pump system, which served for both cold and hot water, had a small pressure tank so that it didn't continuously cycle when you were running the water.

Similar pump to this:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/12-volt-electric-water-pumps.htm

Accumulator tank:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/water-pump-tank.htm

Worked well enough, but in those days, the tankless heaters had a piezo-electric spark and a pilot flame (kind of like the Westy refrigerator). We eventually got rid of the system and went with a solar shower, just because it seemed too complicated for the advantage gained and I hated leaving the pilot flame on. We went to hand and/or footpumps for the head and galley sinks, and a good hot kettle-full of water when it wasn't solar shower season, and we weren't near a washroom with a shower.

I suspect the same would be true in the Westy. The system would cost quite a bit, take a fair bit of room, require a separate 12V pump and probably a pressure tank, and how often would you use it? Unless you were living in your Westy and boondocking, I think it would be overkill.

If you decided to install one, note this comment in one of the EccoTemp reviews:

"Make sure to plumb this thing outside like I did if your going to use it as a permanent fix because the exhaust is smelly and deadly." It's true!

---
Kathy
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: On Demand water heater Reply with quote

delta9007 wrote:
Anybody using one of these? http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/eccotemp-portable-tankless-water-heater/37786

Yes, cvbill:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5800659#5800659

plans in this post
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4718637#4718637
delta9007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, there we go, very helpful/informative. Thank you Basil Very Happy
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a west marine 28 gallon waterbag, a 1.1 gpm automatic sensing pump, and the eccotemp.

Works like a champ.

The nice thing about the Eccotemp, fires right up, turns right on/off when there is/is not flow. The zodi does not do that.

ALso, the eccotemp is adjustable flow/flame, and I've seen zodis, and I felt the eccotemp was a better answer.

The Zodi has its application, and is a good device as well.

To me, its a small hot air baloon sorta heater, the open element, requirement of the connection and setup were not needed with the eccotemp.

Take a look at the videos for each on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqAM6azSm8

that is the eccotemp in action.

next, the Zodi single and double.

To me, there is really no comparison to a eccotemp, and reason i went that route.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYLCscbPGkE
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think that you can use the ecotemp with the smaller, green, propane bottles?
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Zodi single stovetop unit while it was on sale. I used it once, it sort of worked but I had to recycle the water through the heater to get it hot enough. Since then (3-4 years ago) it has stayed in my basement. It's just too much to carry arround and too much effort to set up for the pay back for me (heating water in a kettle and pouring into a solar shower is much simpler if you want to have a hot shower but usualy I just go cold).The Eccotemp seems more plug and play especialy when setup like Cvbill's.
Hi-Top build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534517
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shepherdsond wrote:
I purchased a Zodi single stovetop unit while it was on sale. I used it once, it sort of worked but I had to recycle the water through the heater to get it hot enough. Since then (3-4 years ago) it has stayed in my basement. It's just too much to carry arround and too much effort to set up for the pay back for me (heating water in a kettle and pouring into a solar shower is much simpler if you want to have a hot shower but usualy I just go cold).The Eccotemp seems more plug and play especialy when setup like Cvbill's.

Agree, I also have a zodi (red box). You can get rid of the batteries for the pump and convert to 12v plug but even with that it's just too much paraphernalia unless you are setting up camp for several days in same spot. On top of that I have a problem with my unit. It builds a lot of condensation along the copper coils and this condensation drips over the flame eventuly killing It. My unit sits in the garage, barely used, maybe I can sell it for parts....

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> do you think that you can use the ecotemp with the smaller, green, propane bottles?

yes, if you buy the necessary adapter

it could give you about 15 showers, 4 minutes long, 2 gallons each, so 30 gallons of water needed.

Keep in mind the Ecotemp relies on a hose connected to street pressure, or you must also buy some kind of pump to push water through the unit.

If you use a Westy onboard water tank, you could get about 6 showers worth of water

As an alternative, consider
Hot Jugz
http://www.hotjugz.com/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about getting one of these units to take along on a week long trip in Aug. Those that have the Zodi units
can you tell me about the shower head? Does it shut off and if it does shut off will it also turn off the pump or is that
constantly running?

Also would it truly convert to 12 volt or is that an assumption? I would like to have it be 12 volt or would I need
to buy another pump and make my own switch to shut off the water flow. What I am thinking is, I would like to
use a 7 gallon Aquatainer and be able to keep that somewhat enclosed as the water source with the ability to
recycle the water to get it to shower temperature.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: SHOWER Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Had a zodi sold it ,got warm not hot and the shower head does not shut off. You need water flowing to keep it from over heating. So what did I do- got a Coleman unit it is all in one . It cost more then the zodi but it works, it can make hot water for tea to that's hot! Used it at BBB it was great. Will use it in Moab in May. You get what you pay for. The zodi uses 4 d batters so that is like 6 volts you would need an adapter. So I would say no for 12 volt use. Very Happy able Hot Water on Demand 5 gal. Portable Water Heater

(20 Customer Reviews) Write a review |
About this product
Print
Buy from Walmart
Shipping & Pickup
$222.00
Quantity http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=col...5579,d.aWM
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got awesome portable shower heater today. I'll take some photos tomorrow and post it. The name is Aquacube Basecamp by Mr. heater. I tried it today on my driveway. WoW is the word. No more cold shower when warm shower is not available. Amazon review was all 5 stars by 7 reviews. Now I see why. The lowest price I found was at Emergency Essentials for $319.
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone attest as to how hot the water is from their portable heaters? Some of them say the water is warm enough for coffee or tea. I'm looking for a portable system that can heat water up to 190F.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: