Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here is the older sister! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1454498
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just about give my left nut for a single or DC with a type 4 engine in it. God dang that thing is sweet.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brotha bran wrote:
Envious! Twisted Evil

Though, I do prefer my '68 SC, I sometimes wish it was either a late bay...or dare I say it...my dream VW: a TDI/syncro powered vanagon double-cab. Droooooool.

There are two of those in Suriname that are for sale and I keep saying I need to buy the nice one and ship it back to Seattle or atleast Miami and drive it to Seattle.

87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: The backstory on the 1975 single cab from Mexico Reply with quote

After consulting all five previous owners of this unique pickup, I have a bit of history to share. The following history for this particular VW pickup is constructed following conversations with all previous owners. Facts have not yet been independently verified.

In 1974/1975, the Volkswagen de México assembly plant in Puebla considered building VW pickups in Mexico for the Mexican and Central American market. Volkswagens built in Germany were not sold in Mexico; instead they were assembled in Puebla from a mix of German and Mexican-made parts. In order to fully evaluate the pickup from a manufacturing point of view, including optional equipment, the Peubla factory ordered two vehicles: one single cab and one double cab pickup, with all the options. The double cab was a beautiful deep green, and the single cab an unassuming light gray. These vehicles had the VW export code "ME", for Mexico. It is quite likely that these are the only two pickups ever imported directly from Germany to Mexico.

The options, as detailed in the M-code plate of the single cab, included bumper rubbers, double treasure chest doors, PVC tilt, "ambulance fans", trip odometer and clock, and a foul weather package. The Z01 foul weather package included front and rear fog lights, and intermittent wipers. It had an upright AS engine, and an extra-stiff clutch. The collection of these options on a lowly pickup is a rare thing indeed—possibly unique. Since the location or state of the double cab is currently unknown, the options that it had are also unknown.

Volkswagen de México's assessment included evaluating the possibility of using Mexican-made glass, brake systems, lights, and wiring, but ultimately it was decided that the production of pickups in Puebla would not be pursued. Since these German-built VWs could not be sold in Mexico, other options for their disposition would be needed.

Bill Jones, the owner of the Autohaus Volkswagen and Porsche dealership in San Antonio, Texas, had been a regular visitor to the Puebla plant, having consulted on the manufacturing lines and whatnot. The two pickups were offered to him for sale, and he happily accepted delivery in Laredo, driving them back to San Antonio. The double cab was soon thereafter sold to an acquaintance of Jones in New York, who promptly flipped it. The rest of its story is not known to Jones.

Bob Jones, son of Bill, ended up with the single cab. The pickup "wanted for nothing" and was fitted with a heavily modified GD engine in Jones Autowerks. "It would go 100 miles an hour on the flat."

By the time I came into possession of this pickup, it had seen rougher times. One owner recounted rear-ending someone and crunching the nose. Another used it to execute an amateur paint job, with sparkly two-tone blue colors but never having bothered to remove surface hardware. Someone switched the nose emblem to the early bay style. Rolling Eyes The engine is very rough, and needs another rebuild. The PVC canopy, however, has been in dry storage nearly all this time, and is in excellent condition. The hoops and bows are incomplete, but will be restored.

I intend to rebuild the 2.0-L engine and add a fuel injection system. I expect I'll leave it in its blue paint for now while I work on restoring the rest of it. Some day, perhaps , it ought to get completely refinished and repainted in the original but rather drab L345, light gray.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Sun May 05, 2013 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The backstory on the 1975 single cab from Mexico Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

I intend to rebuild the 2.0-L engine and add a fuel injection system..

let me know what you are doing with the carbs. i would be interested depending on the size. i may have a harness and ECU for trade bait Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will get it running with the carbs first, just to see how they perform. If there are issues, I'm switching to FI, which I know and love. Cool I'll keep your offer in mind. Wink
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the carbs were in bad shape. Broken jet holders, mismatched jets, nonfunctional accelerator pump, floats set wrong... they work much better now after some attention paid by a mechanic who knows carbs (it's been so long for me, having lived in FI world for the last 20 years).

Now there seems to be a bit of oil leaking in #2 cylinder. Perhaps a leaky valve guide, perhaps leaky rings... but the spark plug is a bit oily. Nevertheless, after running it a bunch and burning the oil out of there, this engine showed its power. I have never run up the hill to Los Alamos (a 2000-ft climb up from the Rio Grande) this fast in a Type 2 before. So, I will keep this setup for now, but will have to give #2 some attention.

Hmm... a spark plug wire removal test shows that #3 is not contributing, either.

Time to have this really dug into. I know this can be a great truck some day.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin and I futzed with this engine during his visit this summer, but never could get it to run decently. It seemed that cylinders 2 and 3 were very weakly contributing to the effort, it at all.

A tear down indicates a full top end rebuild, but the bottom is sound. I am optimistic that Sanchez will do another great rebuild.

Funny, it's getting where every bus I come across to refurbish needs a top-end rebuild, as well as the standard overhauls of brakes, CV joints, ball joints, shift linkage, door locks, ignition switch, hazard switch, windshield seal, and tires.

At this age for these buses, the decades of deferred maintenance is taking its toll.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top end rebuild done, using AMC heads modified to achieve 8.5:1 compression, by Adrian Audirac (Headflow Masters) and pistons and cylinders supplied by Adrian as well.

Oh - one surprise: I had stupidly determined the engine type by reading it off the fan shroud: GD = 2.0-L. But no! Once we got the the case, it was clear that this is an 1800-cc CB engine. Lesson learned.

While we were at it, the nose cone on the transaxle was leaking so a new/used one with a new seal was put in. Now my carefully-adjusted shifter is all a mess... it's as if the linkage is too long. The shifting pattern is all far to close to the seat. Really odd, this.

Cleaned up all the tin and exhaust. Rebuilt the dual Weber 40 IDF 70s. Rebuilt the axles with new CV joints and boots. Rebuilt or replaced all wheel bearings, and got new front discs.

We also fixed a bunch of other niggling stuff, like moving the fuel pump and filter to the undercarriage.

It runs pretty well, now, but I am not enamored of carburetors. In this cold weather, they just stay cold -- really cold to the touch, even after the engine is warmed up. I now better appreciate these discussions about efforts to heat up the carburetor stack. Maybe it will run better in the summer.

After 100 miles or so of break-in it is time to check timing, do a valve adjustment, tighten up the exhaust bolts and CV bolts... and see if that improves anything.

Nevertheless, it is a vast improvement.

Actually, before I go much further, I must sort out the wiring for the instrument panel. I don't want to driving around with non-functioning warning lights. Razz

[edit] Fixed all the instrument panel squirreliness. It all boiled down to a bad wire where the wire from the gas gauge sender (brn/blk) attaches to the gauge. Everything works now!

Last edited by jtauxe on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I was working in the cab and got a clearer shot of the M-code plate, having removed the seat belt that blocked the view. I had got one of the codes wrong in my initial post, but it has been too long for me to edit and correct it there. I had read "A05", but I see now that it is clearly "AD5".

So, what the heck is the AD5 M-code?

I can find no records for this code, and getting the "birth certificate" from the VW Museum was not enlightening, either.

Any ideas?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Top end rebuild done, using AMC heads modified to achieve 8.5:1 compression, by Adrian Audirac (Headflow Masters) and pistons and cylinders supplied by Adrian as well.

It runs pretty well, now, but I am not enamored of carburetors. In this cold weather, they just stay cold -- really cold to the touch, even after the engine is warmed up. I now better appreciate these discussions about efforts to heat up the carburetor stack. Maybe it will run better in the summer.
Razz

You are using the metal intake gaskets for the intake manifold to head connection? You have the thermostat hooked up so the engine warms up correctly?
Duals do take awhile to heat up so the fuel atomizes properly without a carb preheat warm air setup. Its one of the reasons I love the FI setups.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano (renamed El Raton): a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Engine and carburetor update: After 5 months of work on this truck (2016 was the Summer of the Single Cab) I got it all back together in time for Colin Kellogg's visit earlier this month. During the down time, I made sure that the thermostat was working properly, and replaced some mis-matched engine tin, etc. Oh, and fixing the brake booster (which had provided a vacuum leak) helped, too. Plus a ton of other work that I will talk about at some time.

Colin and I got the dual Weber 40 IDFs running pretty well. It starts with little trouble, and really hops! With each cylinder having its own carburetor throat, and with the pickup being so lightweight, this truck is really spunky now! Very Happy Bouncy, too! Confused
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Well, it is certainly time for an update.

I have reupholstered the seats, had the brake booster rebuilt and replaced master cylinder and hoses, repainted the back half of the cab, and generally have the truck in stable and running condition. I've got front and rear fog lights working (found the original rear fog wire, purple stripe on back, in the wiring harness in the engine compartment, and found the original wiring holes in the nose behind the bondo) and have even installed the euro-spec headlights with the little extra parking light in the headlight housing -- all like it was at the factory. I've also replaced the gas tank with a good FI one, and repainted the gas tank and engine compartment spaces. I even sourced and installed a Blaupunkt Ingolstadt radio. Whew!

In fact, it runs really well - this engine with the Weber 40 IDFs and new top end really goes! It is a blast to drive.

Now... there's just one problem... The engine still leaks oil badly if it is run at temperature for any length of time. Running around town, no problem. A trip to Santa Fe and back (80 miles total) and it has dribbled about a quart of oil onto the highways and parking lots of New Mexico. No bueno. I have not been able to determine the cause of the leak (that's in another thread), so I am considering...

...in order to really bring this truck back to factory spec (if not factory condition) I should install a 1600-cc engine, with the tin for the Type IV engine compartment. I know I would lose power and some of the fun of driving this, but it would be more correct.

So, where do I get an AS engine (as specified in the M-codes below)?

M-code plate:

Code:
52 084 059
098 171 209 547
A7A751 AD5 Z21 070 071
07 2 7707 ME 2610 51

Interpretation of M-codes:

Code:
098  radio model "Ingolstadt"
171  tubeless bias-ply tires (?)
209  PVC tilt
547  corrosion protection
A7A7 paint code L345: licht grau | light gray
51   interior leatherette dunkelbeige | dark beige
AD5  unknown
Z21  package: Z01 and Z05:
     Z01 bad weather package comprising:
       652 interval wiper facility
       659 halogen fog lamps
       571 rear fog lamp
     Z05 includes:
       025 trip counter and clock
       162 rubber on bumpers
070  tilt and bows for pick-up
071  second lid in side panel (storage compartmnet doors both sides)
07   day 7 of the month
2    February
7707 temporary serial number
ME   delivered to Mexico
2    Type 2 body
 61  Pickup, LHD
   0 ?
5    engine 51 kW | 70 BHP Type 1 (AS) - 1584cc, 37 kW (50 bhp DIN) - Stiff instead of torsion suspended clutch plate
 1   manual transaxle

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

AS is a non USA code

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

but it's just a 1600, so there is nothing special about the case.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tram
Samba Socialist

Location: Still Feelin' the Bern- Once you've felt it you can't un- feel it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
AS is a non USA code

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

but it's just a 1600, so there is nothing special about the case.

Right, because USA 1600 engines became FI in 1975... which is exactly how I'd go in this SC were it mine. Very Happy

Bryan67 wrote:
Just my hands. And a little lube. No tools.

To best contact me, please use the EMAIL function in my profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

Now... there's just one problem... The engine still leaks oil badly if it is run at temperature for any length of time. Running around town, no problem. A trip to Santa Fe and back (80 miles total) and it has dribbled about a quart of oil onto the highways and parking lots of New Mexico. No bueno. I have not been able to determine the cause of the leak (that's in another thread)

John, have you considered that with this nice peppier engine that there might now be too much crankcase breather restriction? Just a thought. I know that bit me and has others. Too much crankcase pressure and the oil will find multiple ways out....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
John, have you considered that with this nice peppier engine that there might now be too much crankcase breather restriction? Just a thought. I know that bit me and has others. Too much crankcase pressure and the oil will find multiple ways out....

Yes, Tom, I have thought a good bit about that, but again am at a bit of a loss.

The crankcase breather box is free of crud (it is completely empty, no PCV valve or anything), and it is plumbed to a little catch tank on the firewall, which is in turn plumbed to the air filters on both carbs. Air flows freely though this system, as I can just blow through it.

So, where could a restriction be?

Or, what else could be causing excessive oil pressure, if in fact that is what is happening?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

I am at wits end with this engine.

I am even considering replacing it, even after all this work on it and it running so well aside from the oil leak, with the engine from my 1974 parts Westy. I believe it is original, unknown miles, but I did have its original dual Solexes rebuilt by Tim at Volkzbitz. It runs, though has an exhaust leak on #4. I have not tested compression.

This '74 Type IV engine would be truer to the pickup's roots (1974 vs 1975), but if I am going to replace the engine, I should probably get even closer and do a 1600.

So, again, where can I source a good 1600 engine for this? If AS is a non-US code (not surprising, since the truck was made for export to Mexico) would I have to go to Europe to find an AS engine?

Of course, I am happy to forego all that work if only I can get this oil hemorrhaging solved.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

Yes, Tom, I have thought a good bit about that, but again am at a bit of a loss.

The crankcase breather box is free of crud (it is completely empty, no PCV valve or anything), and it is plumbed to a little catch tank on the firewall, which is in turn plumbed to the air filters on both carbs. Air flows freely though this system, as I can just blow through it.

So, where could a restriction be?

Or, what else could be causing excessive oil pressure, if in fact that is what is happening?
Its not necessarily oil pressure, but rather crankcase gases pressurizing and pushing the oil out. In my case I had to enlarge the hole that the gases initially exit through. On my type one, this was a hole in the side of the aftermarket oil filler.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Its leaking from where?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: