Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Want all new door/window seals. Where should I go?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SL12572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Want all new door/window seals. Where should I go? Reply with quote

Im getting a full interior/exterior repaint and want to replace all of the seals/moulding. Does any vendor offer a complete kit? Individually, I totaled it up and got a hefty price tag of $1000.00!

Suggestions are appreciated!

Scott
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got most of mine piecemeal from Bus Depot, Go Westy, Van-Cafe and a few in the classifieds, depending on what was on sale. A Grand for all of them at full retail seems about right. VC and GW have door kits, but not a whole-van-every-seal kit... You just missed the Go Westy sale, too.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Bus Depot/Van Cafe Reply with quote

For me it came down to a choice between Bus Depot and Van Cafe... Bus Depot listed a few things Van Cafe didn't, and offered and honored (and there was a software glitch Ron worked me through) the Samba poster's discount.

Body and window rubber's all been installed on Winston, now, and it looks good.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SL12572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: window rubber Reply with quote

Being in the glass business ,I take a different attitude about rubber seals then most . I know what they have to do and if they are good I re use them .
I just finished doing a Bottoms up rebuild on my Syncro Westy and used some good used seal from a nice 90's van in our local yard . Cleaned em up with Cleaner and they look like new . Total cost about $45.00 . We all cheap out some where ,and I had no problem doing it here .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: window rubber Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Being in the glass business ,I take a different attitude about rubber seals then most . I know what they have to do and if they are good I re use them .
I just finished doing a Bottoms up rebuild on my Syncro Westy and used some good used seal from a nice 90's van in our local yard . Cleaned em up with Cleaner and they look like new . Total cost about $45.00 . We all cheap out some where ,and I had no problem doing it here .

Stacy

How do you feel about leaving the plastic chrome trim out of them? I want to add the rear vent windows but don't want to do new seals until I someday paint the van. I left it out on my first van in the rear window just because it was impossible to get back in, but any ill effects leaving it out?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long standing debate . If the window have not been out ,you can pull the garnish,because the rubber is somewhat boned to the glass . The garnish actually tightens the rubber to the glass .
There are any number of guys on Samba who could get a complete set of all black seals delivered to your door for a fraction of new .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: