Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Performance Rhino Tranny Mounts
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: CB Performance Rhino Tranny Mounts Reply with quote

Anyone running these?:
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=643

I was looking for a good compromise between strength, noise, and cost and these seemed like the hot ticket. I don't want to go with solid mounts because it's a street car and they are too freaking noisy and vibrate like crazy. I don't want to go with normal urethane because it's brittle and breaks in tranny mounts (especially the front), and also transfers allot of noise and vibration. I'd prefer not to do stock rubber because I want good hook up and the engine is going to be pretty big (not sure yet, but probably 19~ or maybe a little over 2 liter).
I wanted something a little heavier duty than stock because I'm going with a pretty big engine, but since it's going to be street driven I want to sacrifice as little ride comfort as possible. What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use german rear mounts with berg intermediate mount and rear traction bar with rubber puck. never tried cb rhino.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
broke62'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
www.L5VW.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the CB mounts on one of my cars...worked good, never had any problems..but what Bill says is really the way to go..
conrad1468
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used german mounts and the front mount broke but the 2 in back were still good...so i replaced all of them with the heavy duty mounts from CIP1..they are guaranteed until like 200 hp so i had to buy all 3...
the only problem is that they are louder then the stock german mounts but i also don't run carpeting so i could realy tell a difference in noise level

peace out
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/FreshAirVWCarClub/info
thesamba link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=363031
Official website
http://www.freshaircarclub.com/
Look us up on Facebook, too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdashton67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nose cone mount from CB's is really good...have gone through two sets of rears, and am still keeping the front mount in action. I have wheel hop, but it is def. not due to the rhino mounts. The front has lasted, rears went out quickly, Bill is right though, but for overall affordability go with urethane torsion bar/spring plate upgrade and urethane mounts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
a-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting the front one in on my bus. seems to fit good, but I need to by custom nuts or some kind of custom wrench to tighten it to the frame. There's not much room to wrench on the nuts because they are so close to the bulky mount and the tranny support is also in my way. I'll figure it out and give an update when I rip on my bus. (about 170 HP and a built tranny). I'm running a straight axle kit and also using rear tranny strap with repro german stock mounts in the rear. I am also trying to fit a front tranny strap on, but the one I got is for a bug and I need to make some mods to get it on.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all poly urethane & they suck.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those CB mounts sure look like urethane. You gotta remember that there are different durometer ratings for urethane. Some are quite soft and others are almost as hard as a rock.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: cb performance rihno mounts Reply with quote

I tried a set , took them out in the first week , they transfered as much noise as solid mounts . I gave them to a freind who put them in his street buggy with a 1835 , broke the rears in less than a month ! Run the heavy duty , green dot German mounts , they will not break as easy as the urethane mounts . TROY

a-train , use 15mm head stud nuts on the nose cone studs , more thread hold , and room to get a wrench on them !
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
-Frosty-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the intermediate mount combined with German rear mounts. My intermediate is slightly padded.

Strengthens and stabilizes without adding too much noise and vibration, but you'll always add some when tightening things up.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: cb performance rhino mounts Reply with quote

Frosty , that is not an intermediate mount , that is a front trans strap , look at Glenns car site , that is a intermediate mount . No hateing , just clearing up terminology (sp) . TROY
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
-Frosty-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K, thanks for clearing that up.
I don't want to be the purveyor of misinformation.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have broken urethane -bugpack mounts with a stock single port 1600 at the drag strip. that is why i use the berg mounts. rears are the german green dots(that is what berg sent me)

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-train wrote:
I'm putting the front one in on my bus. seems to fit good, but I need to by custom nuts or some kind of custom wrench to tighten it to the frame. There's not much room to wrench on the nuts because they are so close to the bulky mount and the tranny support is also in my way. I'll figure it out and give an update when I rip on my bus. (about 170 HP and a built tranny). I'm running a straight axle kit and also using rear tranny strap with repro german stock mounts in the rear. I am also trying to fit a front tranny strap on, but the one I got is for a bug and I need to make some mods to get it on.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I believe I found a solution that could help others. Please note I did not remove the transmission when I changed out the mounts. 1967 Ghia.

My initial install was a miserable failure. I tried to re-use the nuts from my worn out red urethane mounts ( I was warned about those mounts!). I couldn't thread them.
I had Acorn nuts that I thought were metric. Turns out they were 7/16 threads. Furthermore, I had the ground strap on the nosecone lug Shocked

I sort of knew all along this was going to be trouble as I could not properly torque the acorn nuts. I was pretty confidant the ground strap set up was wrong. But again, clearance was the issue. It wouldn't fit the frame lug due to the ledge on the Rhino mount. It's just too close to the stud hole.

My solution was to buy 1.5 x 10 " stainless steel "coupler" nuts 30mm long.
It "stands-off" the mount far enough so you can get a socket on it get it to the proper torque. I mounted the ground strap to the other end of the coupler nut.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
a-train wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I believe I found a solution that could help others. Please note I did not remove the transmission when I changed out the mounts. 1967 Ghia.

My initial install was a miserable failure. I tried to re-use the nuts from my worn out red urethane mounts ( I was warned about those mounts!). I couldn't thread them.
I had Acorn nuts that I thought were metric. Turns out they were 7/16 threads. Furthermore, I had the ground strap on the nosecone lug Shocked

I sort of knew all along this was going to be trouble as I could not properly torque the acorn nuts. I was pretty confidant the ground strap set up was wrong. But again, clearance was the issue. It wouldn't fit the frame lug due to the ledge on the Rhino mount. It's just too close to the stud hole.

My solution was to buy 1.5 x 10 " stainless steel "coupler" nuts 30mm long.
It "stands-off" the mount far enough so you can get a socket on it get it to the proper torque. I mounted the ground strap to the other end of the coupler nut.

Great idea with these bolts, I just did the same!

Question... does it matter which direction you mount the front mount? Yours shows the cast "lip" on the up side, I mounted mine as shown in the CB picture with the "lip" on the bottom side. I wonder if it matters...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: