Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing away spare carrier or gary lee tire mount on ladder?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skanemaki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Swing away spare carrier or gary lee tire mount on ladder? Reply with quote

Need a ladder for the back of my van and wondering if getting the tire mount on the Gary lee ladder is worth it or not. Seems more of a nuisance since it pretty much blocks the whole base of the ladder (gets rid of the whole point of having a ladder) and would be heavy lifting the back hatch. However it does save money as you don't need to buy a swing out spare tire carrier + ladder. What are your experiences pros and cons?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ladder hangs on the rear door.

If you add a spare tire, that increases the load on your hatch hinges, unevenly, and bouncing up and down. Over time, your door may not be the same. Just a guess, never tried hanging a spare on the door, in any form.

if you need a ladder, as you said, putting a tire on it, defeats the purpose

now back to your tire carrier options..

1. Van Cafe sells a carrier that fits under the front of the van, for less than $100.. not best offroad, as it hangs down..

2. You could modify your stock tire clamshell so a 215x75x15 fits in the stock location

3. Rocky Mountain Westy gets my nod on which swing out tire carrier I would buy today. I own a Gary Lee.
Syncromikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Burley. I've got his sitting in my garage ready to install ... If his swing out tire rack is anything like his other parts I suspect it'll be Burley as well ... Shocked

Cheers,
Mike

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a thread with pictures of some of the options
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6251264#6251264
skanemaki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always much appreciated John
Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a swing-away tire carrier on my '68 Bronco, I don't like having to swing it out of the way every time I want to get into the back of the truck. When I get around to upgrading my Westy's rims I'll modify the stock VW location to take the larger tire.

Steve
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing away spare carrier or gary lee tire mount on ladde Reply with quote

skanemaki wrote:
Seems more of a nuisance since it pretty much blocks the whole base of the ladder (gets rid of the whole point of having a ladder)

Sounds like you answered your own question. Laughing

Ladder tire rack Con: Where's the ladder? Think

I have a swing out tire rack.

Biggest Pro: Being able to swing it out to get the tire out of the way to check oil and coolant.

Biggest Con: Have to have space for the tire rack to swing out to open hatch. But then again, my particular tire rack is pretty bulky nowadays, and needs a lot of room to open. Most don't need as much room as mine. Wink

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one wish that I could just "not like swinging it out of the way" to open the trunk! I have a gary lee, and I have also strapped to it a shovel, pick axe, hi lift jack, 5gal gas tank, and sometimes a bike rack.... in addition to a heavy tire/wheel, and I cannot open my hatch. The inconvenience of swinging it out of the way would be a blessing.
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of my Gary Lee rack, and love that it worked well for me. I may soon be moving on to a swing away though.
If I need to open my hatch, It takes a couple of minutes for me to remove the gas tank and tire, then I can pop the hatch.

Gary Lee's products are exceptional and truly impressive in quality. In my case, I just have strapped too much stuff to it!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Gary Lee ladder with a gas mount, I have started removing the full gas can when camping as the hatch didn't seem to like the weight. I modified the stock tire location to hold a larger tire but would consider the Burley unit if I needed to move it, but prefer the stock location over anything else.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Added the yakima bike mount.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Gary Lee Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Love my Gary Lee rack, can open hatch in 10 sec. I can put the screen on love the fresh air. They are very well built . My ladder, I keep on the top rack, easy to get to. Extra gas is good , tire in back good, more ground clearance up front is good . Life is good! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Swing away spare carrier or gary lee tire mount on ladder? Reply with quote

Reviving this thread. Shane with LiveTheVanLife went with a 'gary lee' like approach - noting he wants to keep his syncro lighter.

I do like the idea of being able to open the hatch very easily with the Gary lee design. But as noted above, the idea of that weight bouncing on your hatch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: