Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia (Large and Small) badge mount position.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Karmann Ghia (Large and Small) badge mount position. Reply with quote

I have an early ghia with the later "Karmann Ghia " (small) badge (Approx. 9" long -from 1963 onwards ?!) on the rear deck lid, I have managed to obtain an original large badge (12" long) and want to position it correctly - do any of the hole positions over-lap between old style and new style or can anybody give dimensions or produce a template for the holes for the larger badge location?
The deck lid is original to the car (December 1958), but without removing paint, there aren't any tell tale signs from the top or under neath to see the original hole positions.
I tried to search but nothing specific to the rear badge position came up.
Thanks for your help.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out to the garage to take a picture...sorry about the dust on the lid. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have no idea about the commonality of the holes.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - Thats perfect- I will investigate if there are any common holes that will align - Cheers again -
By the way - you keep the Ghia in the Garage!- Is this temporary until you can get it in the living room ? Wink
Or do what I am doing - making the garage comfy - Fridge, music - wide screen TV, bed ! etc,
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tall Bloke wrote:

By the way - you keep the Ghia in the Garage!- Is this temporary until you can get it in the living room ? Wink
Or do what I am doing - making the garage comfy - Fridge, music - wide screen TV, bed ! etc,

Haha...unfortunately it shares the garage with the clothes dryer hence the dust. I should use the dust-sheet I have for it but I can't bare to cover such beauty. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Just been out to the garage to take a picture...sorry about the dust on the lid. Wink

Took a picture - sorry about the paint and the missing Shorrock badge.
I have a '62 and only assume it is a '62 lid. The Badge and orientation are a little different, but the measurements are close to John's.

philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

p.s. this is just over 9" wide
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

You have the later (smaller) script Phil. Not sure at what vin number the change was made but it is at the 62/63 change...I hesitate to say model year as there has long been a dispute over the existence of model years before '65.
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
philermonic wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

You have the later (smaller) script Phil. Not sure at what vin number the change was made but it is at the 62/63 change...I hesitate to say model year as there has long been a dispute over the existence of model years before '65.

It is a November 14, 1962 according to the birth certificate, and no one knows for certain if it is '62 or '63, I use '62.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my small badge and hacked in the large early one. I used one of the original holes but cant remember which one. I think it was the middle under the "M". I just looked at a few pics and hacked away where it looked right. Now, using the same places Moxon measured from his dusty, lint ridden ride...mine are 4.5in below the short vent to 1st "n" and 8.5 in on the inside.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann ghia(Large) badge mount position. Reply with quote

Prompted by another thread
Here are some detailed photos for the deck lid placement of the Karmann Ghia script showing the 24 cm (9.5 inch) script using the original holes on my 1966 Ghia. This should be a match for model years 1963 to 1974. Note that the inside dimensions use a reference line derived from the inner sheet metal which is likely different for the models having the plastic rain tray.

Nicholas
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
philermonic wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

It is a November 14, 1962 according to the birth certificate, and no one knows for certain if it is '62 or '63, I use '62.

My ghia was built in mid October 1962. It is referred to as a '63 model being post August but as John suggests above this was something that was a bit 'looser' in definition before the mid 60's.

I can confirm from a very original car that your decklid should have the small KG script on top, and it also should have a Volkswagen badge beside the licence plate area, see the photo below. Other difference to a later '63 model is the stale-air 40HP engine. Can't quite recall when but in the first few months of 1963 they changed to the fresh-air engine- yours should be stale-air.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia (Large and Small) badge mount position. Reply with quote

Fresh Air VS Stale Air?
Please elaborate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia (Large and Small) badge mount position. Reply with quote

Up to 61/62, Stale -air used the same engine cooling air to heat the cabin. Fresh air, post 62, the engine cooling air passes thru the heads and out.
I think I got that right Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia (Large and Small) badge mount position. Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable. I'll buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prayap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia (Large and Small) badge mount position. Reply with quote

Hello All,
I need to make a holes to installl the large.
Currently I have the small one but the holes arenīt the same.

Will be great if someone can upload a picture wiht the meassures to see where I must to make the holes.

Thanks.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Tall Bloke wrote:

Haha...unfortunately it shares the garage with the clothes dryer hence the dust. I should use the dust-sheet I have for it but I can't bare to cover such beauty. Laughing

Oh the misery?? I also have a car cover, and although my car is temporarily not here, when it was, I would look for excuses to go to the garage just to get a peek, so once it's back, I don't think I will be able to cover it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann ghia(Large) badge mount position. Reply with quote

Prayap, this picture was posted above in this thread, is this what you are looking for??

sputnick60 wrote:
Here are some detailed photos for the deck lid placement of the Karmann Ghia script showing the 24 cm (9.5 inch) script using the original holes on my 1966 Ghia. This should be a match for model years 1963 to 1974. Note that the inside dimensions use a reference line derived from the inner sheet metal which is likely different for the models having the plastic rain tray.

Nicholas

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
prayap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann ghia(Large) badge mount position. Reply with quote

Hello Rbsurfguy, yes it is but I need the long anagram. It is a small one.

Thanks

rbsurfguy wrote:
Prayap, this picture was posted above in this thread, is this what you are looking for??

sputnick60 wrote:

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann ghia(Large) badge mount position. Reply with quote

prayap wrote:
Hello Rbsurfguy, yes it is but I need the long anagram. It is a small one.

Thanks

rbsurfguy wrote:

sputnick60 wrote:

Nicholas

John Moxon wrote:

Is that your blue Lowlight in galleria? Use the dimensions from John Moxon. His is also a lowlight same as yours

Nicholas
prayap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann ghia(Large) badge mount position. Reply with quote

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks I will try.
Yes it is my KG.
I am restoring and the problem is the car made a lot of changes, like a popup windows Crying or Very sad and is not easy to get some originals parts, but step by step I will do.

Regards
John Moxon wrote:

Is that your blue Lowlight in galleria? Use the dimensions from John Moxon. His is also a lowlight same as yours

Nicholas[/quote]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: