Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SyncroFest 3 ~ April 18-21, 2013
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon thanks for posting the video,best syncrofest,fun times as always
83 GTI TDI AHU
86 Syncro subaru to ETDI
87 Syncro work in progress
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorite photos:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrofest gives back! This year syncrofest had a small surplus in our budget so we will be donating 500.00 to Hollister Hills to help maintain the park. It's an awesome facility and we are lucky to have it.

We (when I say we I mostly mean the Payne family) also raised 830.00 with the pancake breakfast for the Nine Lives Foundation, a Bay Area animal shelter. Some of you may remember the Payne family cat, Pluto. He hung out at SF in years past and wandered around the campground socializing with everyone. He came from nine lives. Without a doubt one of the coolest cats I've ever known.

Thanks to everyone who attended SF this year. You made this possible!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Syncrofest crew and all that post pictures.

Always good to see Syncro fun in action.
R.Adams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Long time Samba lurker, first time poster.

Here are some photos from last weekend:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43201419@N02/sets/72157633317883452/

DSC_3604 by R. Adams, on Flickr
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we have a list of winners?

who won best 2WD?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.Adams wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43201419@N02/sets/72157633317883452/

Great. Thanks. Now I have to get a Syncro! JK. Wink

Nice pics!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.Adams wrote:
Hello,

Long time Samba lurker, first time poster.

Nice first post. Great pictures. Thanks.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: SYNCROFEST SCHWAG! Reply with quote

SYNCROFEST SCHWAG!

SyncroFest 2013 is over and it was a blast! If you couldn't make or just need more SyncroFest schwag in your life, here's your chance.

We have 17 LARGE t-shirts left over and for $25, we'll throw in an awesome laser-cut genuine leather keychain, a sticker and shipping. Sorry, no other sizes available.

Here's the goods: http://www.vickersdesign.com/syncrofest/syncrofest_schwag.jpg

Sticker measures 5" wide x 2.5" tall. Keychain is 3" long.

First come, first served. Send an email to: [email protected] with the subject line: SYNCRO STUFF and I'll send you the payment details. Checks only, please.

All proceeds help to fund next year's event and a yearly donation we make to the OHV park in Hollister.

Get your SyncroFest schwag on!

Thanks,
Jeff Vickers
SyncroFest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cup action:

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dbartisan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: My trip highlights from SyncroFest 2013 Reply with quote

Here’s my trip report for SyncroFest 2013. This year's event was even better than last year and by far the largest that I've attended over the past four years now. I saw a lot of familiar faces from past years, I met quite a few new Syncro enthusiasts this year and most importantly I got to spend a lot of quality time with my NorCal friends both old & new.

As always my full album is available on Picasa, some 600+ photos from the four days I was there and I didn’t get to attend all of the functions or visit with all of the groups in camp. Some are under or over exposed but can easily be corrected; I'm just glad a number of them came out and will hopefully be enjoyed by others.

Link: https://picasaweb.google.com/117813656530401508009/SyncroFest2013

In no particular order, here are my trip highlights.

Burley of Burley Motorsports, As always it’s really cool to hang out with Burley. Normally he has something really cool on display for SyncroFest that he’s been working on but this year was way over the top! This year Burley decided to consolidate his display of cool existing products, new product offerings and some of the proto-type products still under development by rebuilding a Syncro Westy and using it for his display. Once up on the GoWesty flex challenge ramps you could clearly see what people were excited about. There were a lot of new pieces that hopefully will become new products like the entire underbody armor mounting system and skid plates. All amazing pieces, well-built and true to form, very "Burley". Not so easy to see was the proto-type suspension work that he’s been working on. I believe that the suspension consisted of Fox shocks with custom valving that was done in house and a coil over conversion with custom springs up front. There was a lot of attention to detail with the rebuild as well. My understanding is that Burley will be taking on Syncro conversions in his new shop in Redding CA and I also heard that a new web site is in the works. I’m looking forward to all of the new developments from Burley Motorsports this coming year.

Image 444/605

Image 430/605

Image 40/605

Image 45/605

Image 460/605

I just have to get in a shameless plug for Burley’s buddy Steve-O. He didn’t have much to say all weekend but he’s a character and I like him.

Image 457/605

I got to hang out with Jon Slider and catch up on all things Syncro. Thanks for the tasty treats from Trader Joe's.

Image 17/605

I got to meet Craig who is the guy with the CNC machined reproduction front Syncro hubs and delrin front diff & rear trans-axle mounting spacers.
The reproduction spacers are true to form and a very nice replacement as opposed to finding a good used part. It’s really great that so many people like Craig are coming up with solutions to keep our Syncros going. It's not an obstacle, it's a challenge!

Image 75/605

I saw Daryl of AA Transaxle and later I got to go for a ride in his Tri-Star Syncro on the obstacle course piloted by Karrie from NorthWesty.

Image 73/605

Image 335/605

New for this year, the GoWesty team hosted a run on the GoWesty flex challenge ramps. If you succeeded they had a nice commemorative shirt for you and if you happened to roll over, then you would have joined the elite Roll-Over club and have had your name added to a special SyncroFest trophy. With Tayler from GoWesty officiating there were no issues. I’ve never driven or experienced a ride over these so Paul from German Motorwerks took me for a wild ride over these, twice! He’s a smooth driver and his 1.8t powered Syncro Sinka is a blast to ride in. The sensation of the weight shift when you transition down is something definitely worth experiencing.

Image 108/605

This is my longtime friend David on the ramps with Venus as co-pilot.

Image 118/605

This will definitely put a smile on your face.

Image 133/605

Paul from German Motorwerks was giving trail rides all weekend in his 1.8t powered Syncro Sinka. You could hear him start up in the morning and head out up the trail; back and forth through-out the day until dusk. I got to take a ride not only up and over the GoWesty flex challenge ramps twice but on a short trail run around camp and up the street and back. This is one impressive setup. It was a pleasure hanging out and visiting with whole GMW group from John & Ester to Paul, Zander, Lewis and Haley.

Image 155/605

Image 154/605

The Bus Lab’s Land Hoppers bus could be seen everywhere and seemingly at all times during the day all through-out the weekend. By far these guys must have driven the most trail miles of any group. Every time I saw them they were touring with a whole different group of passengers. These guys are really cool and it was fun to hang out with them.

Image 140/605

Image 36/605

This was an exciting moment but once the situation was assessed it became pretty entertaining. Here the Hopper, in a somewhat precarious position, was easily recovered by a Mercedes Gelandewagen. The guys quickly assessed the situation and proceeded to put on a really good vehicle recovery demonstration.

Image 181/605

Image 183/605

The Bus Lab guys were running the Hopper hard all weekend. On Sunday while breaking down camp I came by and they were working on the rear brakes. No issues really, everyone stepped in and made a nice field repair of it in no time. I look forward to hanging out more with these guys next year.

Image 590/605

This year I spent a lot more time on the trails exploring. Here David & I are going up Truck Hill. I believe Jon Slider posted a video of this. (Thanks Jon!) In past years we’ve always taken the black diamond trail on the back side to get up to the top but this was a pretty impressive route that David handled easily.

Image 209/605

We did some exploring on the far east side of the property with a bus load of people along with a group from the Bus Lab in the Hopper. David cleared this section going up with no problem but there was one exciting moment when he had the driver's side wheels placed firmly in the ditch and preceded to steer his way around this corner with the passenger front wheel high in the air. That was some skillful driving! Coming down Lance was spotting to make sure David had a good safe line.

Image 539/605

The Obstacle Course this year was a lot of fun and right at the front of camp so nearly everyone was in attendance. Eric and the obstacle course organizers and volunteers did a great job coming up with something challenging and fun for everyone.

Image 260/605

I got to go on a course run with Karrie from NorthWesty with Daryl co-piloting. This was a lot of fun.

Image 297/605

Lucas in GoWesty5 on the obstacle course.

Image 339/605

Lucas in GoWesty5 on the obstacle course.

Image 342/605

Randall in his MTDI powered Syncro tin top. I can easily say that Randall owned the course that day. I went round and round on the course for a total of 4 times as he was one of the 3 finalists with 0 points deducted each time around. Eventually he was awarded the course winner.

Image 346/605

Randall is a very very smooth driver. He especially owned this section where he crawled down this embankment with the most traction and control out of the group. I believe this is one of the sections that they kept modifying to increase the challenge before crowning a winner.

Image 362/605

I got to meet Shaun Dunn from Dunn Tech Motorsports. Shaun builds high end dessert race trucks in his shop and for his team’s chase truck he built up a really cool Syncro Doka. This Doka is amazing. From the 2.4l Ecotec engine conversion with custom engine cradle to the modified front and rear suspension, there is a lot to look at. Well built, beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail and a very nice guy. I’m glad to have had a chance to meet and chat with him and his son.

Image 516/605

Image 515/605

Image 489/605

Image 487/605

Image 484/605

Image 482/605

Image 503/605

I got to see Robyn & Chris from Canada. I understand that there was a mechanical issue with their diesel exhaust manifold but I’m glad that they persevered and were able to make it on Saturday. It was good seeing you two.

Image 584/605

Like I mention earlier, this year there were a lot of activities added to the event with some that I couldn’t fit in.

New for this year that I missed out on was the horseshoe game hosted by Stephan's Auto Haus. I saw them wrapping up but no pictures unfortunately. This was a neat idea they came up with. Like traditional horseshoes but instead you’re hurling Vanagon upper control arms. I didn’t miss out on the drinks and BBQ beef brisket though. Excellent food and great company, thank you guys.

Last year we were treated with a showing of The Bus Movie by Damon Ristau. For movie night this year the GoWesty guys were showing footage from their racing venture at the 24 HOURS OF LEMONS RACE. Team WESTAFARI did great and the racing tales that were shared were quite entertaining. Perfectly seasoned popcorn by Shaun topped off the night.

Lastly a BIG thank you to everyone involved for putting together all of this. From the organizers to the volunteers and vendors & sponsors, this year was another Great one!

All of my full albums from past events, Syncro de Mayo 2010, SyncroFest 2011 & 2012 are also available in Picasa as well.

Link: https://picasaweb.google.com/117813656530401508009

Enjoy,
-Steve C.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. Your photos and descriptions really capture the spirit of the meet. Except for the unfortunate rash of busted equipment, everyone had a great time.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the photos and the great writeup Steve!

Great to camp with you under the Oaks,

Next time I hope to see your Van Smile
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I want your shirt Jon

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farfrumwork wrote:
Laughing I want your shirt Jon

X2.
tdwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for the post and pics.Glad we got to hang and catch up .
David
83 GTI TDI AHU
86 Syncro subaru to ETDI
87 Syncro work in progress
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of my favorite photos:

Buese Doka

Going Down

John's Custom Interior

Maiden Voyage

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great time it looks like you all had. I'd love to get down there one of these years. Hope to see some of you in Moab in 2 weeks.
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
Engelbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone happen to find a small digital camera at Syncrofest?
We lost ours, wasn't expensive, but had some baby pictures...Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: