Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

piston rings, cylinders, heads
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: piston rings, cylinders, heads Reply with quote

I am in the midst of reassembling my engine. slowly.

I have been researching about how to check my deck height and CCing the heads and such to find the best compression ratio. few questions:

1. When installing the cylinders, do you use permatex on both sides of the gasket/spacer for the cylinder to case juncture? If so, doesn't that effect the carefully calculated deck height?? If not, doesn't that leave you (more likely) open to leaks??

2. (stupid question but here goes) while CCing the heads, do you simply plug the spark plug hole with a spark plug?(this will effect the displacement of the fluid effecting the reading)

3. I have new piston rings en route from BD. Will I need to gap the piston rings or are they all pre-gapped nowadays?

thats all for now. I'll keep it simple. Thanks!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you use RTV to seal the barrels, both sides of shims. That is the equal of the part number VW used. I use red RTV, some folks use black and some copper. I tried copper but it was too gummy for me and never hardened. It doesn't mess with your numbers enough to worry.

You use spark plugs screwed all the way in

you need to gap the rings and when done wash and dry them before using them. Most likely the book shows a 2 piece oil ring and you will get a 3 piece. The gap will be much larger. You put the rings in the cylinders and use a piston upside down to push the rings into the cylinders. Measure one ring and use it in EACH cylinder. Find out which cylinder is the biggest (widest gap). Then measure each ring and find which ring is the narrowest gap and widest gap. Be sure you don't start gapping rings in a way that the one left is too wide for the widest cylinder. Also measure the side gap. It is important. Do not swap pistons and cylinders around. Same piston in same cylinder.
WI sportmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: !1 Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
I am in the midst of reassembling my engine. slowly.

I have been researching about how to check my deck height and CCing the heads and such to find the best compression ratio. few questions:

1. When installing the cylinders, do you use permatex on both sides of the gasket/spacer for the cylinder to case juncture? If so, doesn't that effect the carefully calculated deck height?? If not, doesn't that leave you (more likely) open to leaks??

2. (stupid question but here goes) while CCing the heads, do you simply plug the spark plug hole with a spark plug?(this will effect the displacement of the fluid effecting the reading)

3. I have new piston rings en route from BD. Will I need to gap the piston rings or are they all pre-gapped nowadays?

thats all for now. I'll keep it simple. Thanks!!!

1. Yes use sealant on both sides.
2. Yes plug the hole with a spark plug.
3. Yes you do need to check the gap on the rings. do not trust them out of the box.

Don't mess with the DNR.
"Bargain hunter becomes the bargain hunted."
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Most likely the book shows a 2 piece oil ring and you will get a 3 piece.

If the BD kit has 2 piece oil rings in it. Where can I find 3 piece oil rings? Will I have to buy a whole new set of piston rings or do the 3 piece oil rings sell separately?

thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, In computing my compression ratio, how do i find the stroke of my engine? Are they all standard? do i need to measure it somehow?

I am assuming it is 71mm.

I have a 1977 bus, 2.0L engine with 94mm cylinders.

thanks!
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rings for the cylinders, They need to be lapped, go to Jakes site and the type4rum
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
No rings for the cylinders, They need to be lapped, go to Jakes site and the type4rum

huh? Confused
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
Hoody wrote:

huh? Confused

I think he's referring to head gaskets, which are technically ring-shaped...but are never called rings for this exact reason. Wink All he means is that you lap the cylinders into the heads with grinding compound.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:
BusBerd wrote:
Hoody wrote:

huh? Confused

I think he's referring to head gaskets, which are technically ring-shaped...but are never called rings for this exact reason. Wink All he means is that you lap the cylinders into the heads with grinding compound.

Ok. Thanks!

I am amazed that this is the first that I have heard of this, or maybe it is the first that it has sunk in.

So I have done a little research on lapping my cylinders to the head and I have a few more questions:

1. Can I use "Permatex Valve Grinding Compound" to lap the cylinders?

2. Is there a specific technique to this? amount of pressure, duration, etc. How do I know when I am finished and I finally have a good solid mating surface?

3. Cleaning: I have read to use ATF fluid or Brake Cleaner and compressed air for clean-up after done lapping the cylinders. Now, my valves are already installed in the head, so while I am cleaning, do I need to worry about tiny debris getting stuck by the valve crevices and creating a problem?? How do I clean the heads thoroughly after using this grinding compound for the cylinders? How will I know when ALL the minute debris is cleared away?

Thanks!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you can use valve lapping compound. That is what I used. Just look for an even lap. I roll the cylinder a couple of times, maybe 4 then lift a tiny bit and rotate it maybe 1/7 or 1/8 the way around and do it again. After you have gone about all the way around 1 time clean it up and look at the head and cylinder to see if the lapping mark is even and in contact all the way around. If it is you are done. If there are spots that have not touched then you have to deal with that. You can use a very light coating of copper coat on the top of the cylinder to help it create a carbon seal. Just shake the can really well and use a small paint bush like for a model to paint it on the top of the cylinder. A really tiny amount is all you need. The cylinder will seal metal to metal but the copper coat will ooze out a tiny amount and help start the process where carbon builds up around that seam and finishes sealing any small microscopic gaps.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
You can use a very light coating of copper coat on the top of the cylinder to help it create a carbon seal. Just shake the can really well and use a small paint bush like for a model to paint it on the top of the cylinder. A really tiny amount is all you need. The cylinder will seal metal to metal but the copper coat will ooze out a tiny amount and help start the process where carbon builds up around that seam and finishes sealing any small microscopic gaps.

Thanks! Do you happen to have a link to this "copper coat" product?
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
yes you can use valve lapping compound. That is what I used. Just look for an even lap. I roll the cylinder a couple of times, maybe 4 then lift a tiny bit and rotate it maybe 1/7 or 1/8 the way around and do it again. After you have gone about all the way around 1 time clean it up and look at the head and cylinder to see if the lapping mark is even and in contact all the way around. If it is you are done. If there are spots that have not touched then you have to deal with that. You can use a very light coating of copper coat on the top of the cylinder to help it create a carbon seal. Just shake the can really well and use a small paint bush like for a model to paint it on the top of the cylinder. A really tiny amount is all you need. The cylinder will seal metal to metal but the copper coat will ooze out a tiny amount and help start the process where carbon builds up around that seam and finishes sealing any small microscopic gaps.

I've never heard that bit about the copper. Is this what you mean?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KW04/401612/N0488.oap?ck=Search_N0488_-1_-1&pt=N0488

How does it differ from someone using high-temperature gasket maker on the head/cylinder mate, as was said above about the cylinder/case shims?

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: thats the stuff Reply with quote

we used it on outboard cylinderheads when in west flordia as the salt content was so high. Have also used silver/aluminum paint in the same process.

As far as clean up from lapping compound-- most I've used is water based, so spit down the cylinder to make it flow and use a tooth brush and soapy water to scrub the chamber clean.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I've never heard that bit about the copper. Is this what you mean?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KW04/401612/N0488.oap?ck=Search_N0488_-1_-1&pt=N0488

How does it differ from someone using high-temperature gasket maker on the head/cylinder mate, as was said above about the cylinder/case shims?

or get the can of it. See if any of your buddies have some cause you won't use it for anything else.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(apologies ahead of time if I don't know the technical identifier for each characteristic on a given part)
I tried laying the cylinders into the head and the outside diameter lip of the cylinder (not a cooling fin) comes VERY close to resting on the head. Which means that the inside (intended) mating surface of the cylinder and head would be gapped in the combustion chamber! I tried sliding an .004 feeler gauge under this outside diameter lip of the cylinder and felt drag against the head in a few spots.
So, I am concerned with lapping the cylinders to the heads now, which would even lessen that gap. Could I use the grinding compound on both the outside diameter step surface and the intended mating surface (between the head and the cylinder) just incase there is contact to the head from that outside diameter step on the cylinder?
I hope I am explaining this clearly enough... Embarassed
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have your heads be flycut since they were last installed? If so you can skip lapping the jugs to the heads. If your jugs are used then just lap them against a piece of window glass, if new they too shouldn't need lapping at all.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Have your heads be flycut since they were last installed? If so you can skip lapping the jugs to the heads. If your jugs are used then just lap them against a piece of window glass, if new they too shouldn't need lapping at all.

The jugs are not new.
the heads may have been fly cut in a previous rebuild, but I have not had them fly cut on this rebuild. Just cleaned up and some valve work done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay close attention to what Steve said....but after your cylinders are lapped I am a fan of the copper. Always tape it off and use it sparingly. The rest will burn off. It makes for the best seal when done properly. Gotta love dueling Gurus. I am not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: