Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper interchange
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Wiper interchange Reply with quote

Anyone with a true Manx (only asking that due the design and spacing issues...not being snotty) run a later style 12 volt wiper assembly on their cars. Looks like the distance from wiper stud to wiper stud is 16". Is this the same on the later versions? My 6 volt has apparently crapped out, and getting 12 volt versions of the same style are serious cash. So anyone running the nex style?
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff
I have used the newer style on my Manx clone and found that the motor housing was shoved up into the hood to the point of making a visible bump on the hood surface. The older style motor has better clearance. I think I have an extra old style motor, I will have to look. Stud to stud distance seems to be the same. Dumb question, how can you tell if it is 6V or 12V?

Vince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it spins REALLY fast with a 12 volt battery.......it is 6 volt Laughing Laughing

This is what I used....a 67 assembly.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=508687
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
lazybonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i used a 67 unit works just fine being that i wont ever use them like i need wipers when it raining on my head then i would need wipers on my glasses too.

http://s475.photobucket.com/albums/rr118/LongIslandManx/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to run a 6V wiper assembly on 12v with the aid of a voltage reducing resistor to knock the 12v down to 6v.
RIP Morgan

My photos
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album92
dirtbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Manx and I run a 12V wiper motor however I fitted it to the original 6V wiper assembly so I could use the original holes. It was quite a few yeas back so I don't remember what sort of problems I had Confused Whatever they were, I must have overcome them.

Before that I ran a 6V motor and used a light dimmer off a subaru to knock down the speed, worked well as I recall because you could just dial in whatever speed suited the conditions.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a 6 volt wiper is a different distance that a 12 volt? I did install a 12 volt wiper motor (new style) on a 6 volt assembly on the Bradley I did but there was tons of room. I was concerned with dash/hood clearance. I hooked up wires to my unit and nothing....I need to disassemble it to make sure my posts aren't seized. I am 99% sure it is a 6 volt tho. Its a 64 pan and I think it was the 6 volt generator on the original motor.
Jimmler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, the '67 wiper assembly is probably the most desirable for those looking to convert the earlier bugs to 12v. Had the earlier spacing, but 12v motor and only made for that production year. '68 and later, things changed.
Flat4Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went though this last weekend. I installed the wipers into my Deserter GT. I have a '69 bug parts car so I pulled the wiper from it. It appeared to be more compact than the unit that came on the buggy. I came to discover the wiper shafts were about 1/4 inch closer together than the other wiper motor. I didn't want to oval out the wiper shaft holes So began to look again at the motor that came with the buggy.

It appears to be a T3 wiper, and actually it fits better than the T1 wiper. It doesn't hit the hood as others have mentioned. The only problem was that I did not have any mounting nuts for the wiper shafts and the T1's were too small. I guess they're the same size nuts as some buses...? Anyway, Wolfgang Intl was able to scroung a couple for me so now I'm good.

Tom

MEANIRISHMOFO wrote:
The whole Patina thing has gone way too far. A beat up piece of shit does not have patina. It's a beat up piece of shit. That car is a good base for a restoration, Not a coat of wax.
4ferraras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Wiper motor Reply with quote

Has anyone used the A1 Cardone Windshield Wiper Motor?
Is it a rebuilt swf?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: