Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Longboard and Skateboard Storage in Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanaGlenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: longboards and Vanagons Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
1987 Hardtop Vanagon 2.1L AT [donor]
1999 Audi A6 Quattro Avant
2001 Toyota Sienna XLE

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Westie, 1980 Westie, 1948 Flexibus [Greyhound RV], 87 Toyota Van, 95 AWD SC Previa, 88 BMW 535is, 92 BMW 525i, 87 BMW 328ic and a few domestic vans and wagons not worth mentioning...
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: boards Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Yup! G&S Fiberflex....

Bennett trucks?

J Charlton wrote:
I loaned my buddy my beloved "Moose" to take out to Banff last summer. He's also a boarder with screwed up knees. Maybe there's a message in here somewhere ....

Skateboarding is pretty hard on everything, but I know plenty of guys in their early 40s that have been skate rats since they were kids and we're all still doing fine.

I have spent roughly 6000 hours on a skateboard, in my early 20s I skated 5-8 hours a day pretty much every day, bussed tables and shot pool at night, same thing the next day.

I've never had a long board as I didn't like the loss of ollie power, but Ive been through countless decks (~250?) over the years a couple dozen pairs of trucks.... Here is my current stable!

My standard typical modern skateboard, although it is a watson laminates deck, best wood, made in america, crispy snaps, wish they still made decks, but I do have a stash, my rear baseplate is just about broken in 2 right now, need to replace that before I too much more jumping around on it,

Grind king king pins for life! The rear truck even has one of the original ones with the CNC machined top washers!

I always skate at least a bit on my b-day, last year we happened to be on a canoe trip on my B-day, so I did what any rational 39 year old skateboard nut would have done,I brought my skateboard along! Paddled 14 miles in one day on lake powell to get to this camp site, oh yea!

Day trip from the campsite, got to have the board in case any interesting terrain is spotted,

Here is my super squirley home made board, these trucks turn so tight that a lot of people can't ride it, this board can turn around, 180 degrees in about 4' of space without lifting the front truck, you can be carving down a hill and carve circles in the middle of your run, this is not a high speed board in any way, is about tight turns and maximum lean angles at low speed, the wheels truly rule, 3dm avalon's, so sticky, but not slow,

The tail has lyptus V power spar technology! Well, I'm sure the white oak would have been plenty strong, but I work in a super sweet wood shop so the lyptus spar inserts were easy to add, so I did,

Here you can see it next to a somewhat normal skateboard for size reference, I designed it so the board angle when the tail hit the ground is the same as a "new board" so it actually ollies pretty well, kick flips, 180 ollies, all work witha bit of getting used to the heavy wheels,

That of course brings up Sean Sheffy's first pro model! Nothing too special, Indy trucks ground half way through the axle, spitfires, cell block 3... oh yeah, and hell concave hell concave h-h-h-hell concave, once you go to hell you can't come back! (2 gold stars for anyone that can name the skate movie that came from)

And a "spacecraft" sweet board from the 70s,tail is too short to ollie well, but this is a fun one for sure, the bennet truck do have plastic baseplates and I had one of them blow apart on me mid hill bomb a few years back so I rebuilt it with steel,

I actually traveled around building concrete skateparks for several years, I don't so it much anymore, but when I can get a job sort of close to home its nice to trowel out some skatepark Smile

I designed and did a lot of the building of my local skatepark and all the kids pitched in bought me this board for a gift when the park was finished, this was the closest a skateboard has ever come to making me cry, which is impressive considering the repeated massive blunt force trauma I've received at the hands of my skateboard.

And here is the skatepark,

The short boards fit under the bench seat well.

Look what I found! Pics from the construction of the bowl on Nantucket with westy lurker creds!

Behind the 6' pocket,

Still behind the 6' pocket, but pic taken form the deep end,

Couple bowl pics,

Everybody else on the job flew in, I was the only one to drive so the westy was the employee shuttle and tool a hauler, and lunch truck, and breakfast truck, worked out really well all in all!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
WestiCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school my friends and I had a collage of ThimasBros maps taped to the headliner of my 86 passenger van. We drove all over san diego county and highlighted Red, Yellow, Green on the hills we found to skate down. I remember finding some new housing developments in La Costa area. Brand new clean blacktop, zero cars, and big hills. I need to start throwing my Sector9 Flex-Deck in the van with me.
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack, great post. I was never a skater but I cant get enough of Perralta's documentaries. Where was that sweet campsite you paddled into?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestiCoast wrote:
I remember finding some new housing developments in La Costa area. Brand new clean blacktop, zero cars, and big hills.

I remember skating some similar blacktop in Riverside california in the early 90s, Canyon Crest drive to be exact, I think Laughing That was a long time ago now!. We'd park at the bottom and walk up, maybe a mile long, but hat was plenty on the "spacecraft", due to the slower speed and super tight turning radius.

tschroeder0 wrote:
Where was that sweet campsite you paddled into?

Near the front (north west end) of Labyrinth Canyon, we paddled from the antelope point marina.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: